State of GameSalad on 11-13-2017

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@adent42 said:
    Sorry, I had to get a phone to test (because of certain optimizations, the engine doesn't work on simulator). I just got the phone, I'll be testing the fix tomorrow. Sorry we'll miss the deadline but hopefully we'll get something up soon.

@adent42 said:
    Also, I'm gonna do the ad network version updates after releasing the positioning fixes, because it's been a pain rewriting the code to account for the new APIs.

Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear the progress.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited November 2017

FYI, I pushed a build to QA for testing. We fixed banner ad positioning for Admob and Revmob and upgraded to the latest Admob. We're only going to update the iOS Universal and iPhone builds, if anyone REALLY want iPad, let me know.

Next build will be an update to Revmob for iOS.
    Then it will be an update to Revmob for Android, and possibly and update to Tapdaq.

You guys will be the first to know when this new build is ready, hopefully tomorrow afternoon before we all head off for Thanksgiving break.

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

@adent42 thank you! do you have a timeline on iPhone X support for the Creator/Publisher?

• celta15celta15 Member Posts: 19

@adent42 said:
    FYI, I pushed a build to QA for testing. We fixed banner ad positioning for Admob and Revmob and upgraded to the latest Admob. We're only going to update the iOS Universal and iPhone builds, if anyone REALLY want iPad, let me know.

Then it will be an update to Revmob for Android, and possibly and update to Tapdaq.

You guys will be the first to know when this new build is ready, hopefully tomorrow afternoon before we all head off for Thanksgiving break.

@adent42 Only for Ios? I also work with Android ...

I hope with anxiety. the admob and tapdaq update for Android and Ios.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

@adent42 said:
    FYI, I pushed a build to QA for testing. We fixed banner ad positioning for Admob and Revmob and upgraded to the latest Admob. We're only going to update the iOS Universal and iPhone builds, if anyone REALLY wants iPad, let me know.

You guys will be the first to know when this new build is ready, hopefully, tomorrow afternoon before we all head off for Thanksgiving break.

I am not trying to bash anyone here. I am taking this quote and using it as an example of the types of things that make me scratch my head. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. I can only take it at face value when I read what I read. So please explain this quote to me.

This section here:

"We're only going to update the iOS Universal and iPhone builds, if anyone REALLY wants iPad, let me know."

I thought Universal Builds meant All current iPhone models and iPad models. I thought the entire purpose of a Universal build was because Apple wants 1 app that works on all devices. ( not an iPhone and an iPad version being sold separately.)

IF not why would you go so far as to update iOS Universal builds and iPhone builds, and not for iPad?

Do you assume ipads arent that important? And when you say "if anyone REALLY wants iPad, let me know."

When you say that it sounds like if someone really needs it. That it won't be a problem and you will make an update for iPad as well. Why not do it all at once?

Its like your trying to make a touchdown but decide to fumble the ball at the 10-yard line.

It's this kind of stuff that makes me scratch my head. Why not just realize that people in your user base will need the iPad portion updated as well, and do so. Again, maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. But the one picture that I've seen since day one is that gamesalad stretches itself so thin that it very rarely gets any first downs and never make any touchdowns. They seem to always get just close enough for a field goal every now and then.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@celta15 I'm rushing out the iOS stuff because we're past the deadline and the iPhone X / Admob updates, so I want to get that out ASAP.

For Revmob, the new API maps more cleanly with our iOS ad code, so it's quicker to port (I've already done part of the work, I just need to check it back in and verify it).

Just to avoid context switching, I'll probably update iOS Tapdaq too, and then move on to Android and sweep all three in a subsequent release.

@supafly129 It's probably best to just use the existing iPhone 6 resolution (or iPad) and adjust your UI inside safe zones or to automatically adjust based on resolution. I know it's a pain, but that's what people do in most engines. If I did do an update with the iPhone X res, you'd still have to do the same thing, just backwards for the iPhone 6-8.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@adent42 said:
    @celta15 I'm rushing out the iOS stuff because we're past the deadline and the iPhone X / Admob updates, so I want to get that out ASAP.

For Revmob, the new API maps more cleanly with our iOS ad code, so it's quicker to port (I've already done part of the work, I just need to check it back in and verify it).

Just to avoid context switching, I'll probably update iOS Tapdaq too, and then move on to Android and sweep all three in a subsequent release.

@supafly129 It's probably best to just use the existing iPhone 6 resolution (or iPad) and adjust your UI inside safe zones or to automatically adjust based on resolution. I know it's a pain, but that's what people do in most engines. If I did do an update with the iPhone X res, you'd still have to do the same thing, just backwards for the iPhone 6-8.

Which loading image will we use for iPhone X? Will the publishing page get update for that?

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@adent42 said:
    FYI, I pushed a build to QA for testing. We fixed banner ad positioning for Admob and Revmob and upgraded to the latest Admob.

@adent42
    Can you confirm the Admob SDK upgrade is for both iOS and Android builds?

I've had this message from Admob this morning concerning the need to update all iOS and Android apps by 23rd January:

Starting January 23, 2018, we will no longer be supporting Android and iOS Google Mobile Ads SDKs lower than version 7.0.0. To continue serving ads from AdMob after this date, please upgrade to the latest Google Mobile Ads SDK.

@DigiChain said:

Can you confirm the Admob SDK upgrade is for both iOS and Android builds?

I've had this message from Admob this morning concerning the need to update all iOS and Android apps by 23rd January:

Starting January 23, 2018, we will no longer be supporting Android and iOS Google Mobile Ads SDKs lower than version 7.0.0. To continue serving ads from AdMob after this date, please upgrade to the latest Google Mobile Ads SDK.

We already use 7.8.0, more than a year. Could it be about your old app/s in some small market? I'm only guessing.

@unbeatenpixel said:
    We already use 7.8.0, more than a year. Could it be about your old app/s in some small market? I'm only guessing.

Ok, yes perhaps it's some older apps I haven't updated for quite some time that are the issue then.

How do you know which Ad SDK versions we are using? - and when GS started using them?

edited November 2017

@DigiChain said:

@unbeatenpixel said:

Ok, yes perhaps it's some older apps I haven't updated for quite some time that are the issue then.

How do you know which Ad SDK versions we are using? - and when GS started using them?

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/92063/stable-release-1-25-54-is-available/p1

I searched it after you write.

@unbeatenpixel said:
    I searched it after you write.

Aha!... why didn't I think of doing that! Thanks.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@FINNBOGG said:
    It's this kind of stuff that makes me scratch my head.

I think the point is -- and GS probably have build statistics to back this up on their end, informing this decision -- that iOS Universal and iPhone builds are quite common and used. They probably see very little iPad-only builds getting done on the server and so decided that it's not worth their time to update that currently (I don't know how much time it takes to update it).

At the same time, they clearly don't want to hold anyone back if they are working on an iPad-only project and will need this.

I think that's a relatively smart move, if prioritising it so means being able to get us the update before Thanksgiving, rather than after it.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited November 2017

@FINNBOGG said:
    This section here:

"We're only going to update the iOS Universal and iPhone builds, if anyone REALLY wants iPad, let me know."

He's saying that iPad support is given through the iOS Universal publishing option, and they're also supporting the iPhone publishing option, but it's so rare that people publish ONLY for iPad, that they are not prioritising it.

I thought Universal Builds meant All current iPhone models and iPad models.

This is exactly what it means.

So if you publish to iPhone only, you're covered. If you publish to iPhone and iPad, you're covered. If you publish ONLY to iPad, you need to tell him. I presume their stats show that this is not an option often selected. I know that across dozens of projects I've never been asked to go iPad only.

Edit: I now see @pHghost already covered this.

If I'm wrong, then I second your outrage.

Yeah doesn't seem so critical it should push a build back. I guess a few people are exclusively building for iPad and not universal?

FYI, build is up. No need to upgrade, just republish with a 1.25 release.

We've updated the iPhone and Universal builds only because those are the only ones that needed repositioning, not because of usage stats or anything (this scramble is largely because of the iPhone X). It's simply a logistics thing. The iPad target will be updated soon, I just wanted to get this sub-release out ASAP.

So again here's the schedule (as in order, not in release dates):

1. RevMob 10 iOS Update + iPad updated to new Admob 7.26
    2. Chartboost, Tapdaq iOS Update to whatever.
    3. Android updates for all SDKs.

If someone would like to put out a poll, I can release the Android updates as completed based on popularity, though I'm assuming the order will be something like: Admob, RevMob, Chartboost, Tapdaq.

• squirrel42squirrel42 Member, PRO Posts: 195

@adent42 Thanks. Does this also fix the iPhone X screenshot submission issue?

@squirrel42 said:
    @adent42 Thanks. Does this also fix the iPhone X screenshot submission issue?

I think they updated this, since the ad updates were based on iOS11 support anyway. I'm sure someone will confirm soon enough.

edited November 2017

@squirrel42 what's the submission issue? (I didn't catch that). This is for iPhone X Banner Ads.

@adent42 said:
    @squirrel42 what's the submission issue? (I didn't catch that). This is for iPhone X Banner Ads.

• celta15celta15 Member Posts: 19

@adent42 said:

We've updated the iPhone and Universal builds only because those are the only ones that needed repositioning, not because of usage stats or anything (this scramble is largely because of the iPhone X). It's simply a logistics thing. The iPad target will be updated soon, I just wanted to get this sub-release out ASAP.

If someone would like to put out a poll, I can release the Android updates as completed based on popularity, though I'm assuming the order will be something like: Admob, RevMob, Chartboost, Tapdaq.

@adent42 For what day do you think Admob and Tapdaq SDK updates for Android will be ready?

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited November 2017

@adent42 said:

I'm giving up for tonight - this is what I get every time I try publishing and building, then submitting to iTunes Connect... and I can't even over-ride the minimum version (7.0) to at least get closer to being able to publish it...

I appreciate the effort @adent42 , but this published fine last time I touched it, and not done any work on it since (as I say, it's kind of in limbo until this issue is resolved, so I'm not even wasting my time in the meantime)...

I'm off to bed, but I'm guessing as it's now Thanksgiving, we're pretty screwed for a fix for this anytime soon... dammit...

Do I take it I'm right in thinking that the Admob fix for universal iOS IS included in this sub-release? (it was mentioned earlier on, but not in the build availability post)... Cheers...

PS - for the avoidance of doubt, I tried from the ground up using both 1.25.73 and 1.25.80, same results...

@Japster sorry about that, I just pushed an update to the publishing server that properly sets the min version to 8.0, which is what the build targets (required by the latest Xcode).

You will need to reload the publishing page for the app to see the update, but after that, just publish again.

@celta15 no idea, I'm just doing it one pant leg at a time. I'm hoping it will all be done by mid Dec.

@unbeatenpixel not 100%, but I think that should be fixed now because this new build IS built with the iOS 11 SDK.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@adent42 sorry to bother with a question unrelated to what is being discussed.
    If a project is made with MacBook scene size, is there a reason why the GS publishing doesn't correctly size it correctly on devices? For instance, I use Overscan, and the preview can get it sorted nicely, but in GS viewer and Adhoc testing, the seems it gets very confused as to what the camera sizing should be.

Happy to send screenshots of the issue. Is this an issue, or projects built in MacBook scene size no longer get overscan support?

Best,
    Two.E

@adent42 said:

I'm giving up for tonight - this is what I get every time I try publishing and building, then submitting to iTunes Connect... and I can't even over-ride the minimum version (7.0) to at least get closer to being able to publish it...

@adent42 said:
    @Japster sorry about that, I just pushed an update to the publishing server that properly sets the min version to 8.0, which is what the build targets (required by the latest Xcode).

You will need to reload the publishing page for the app to see the update, but after that, just publish again.

@adent42 - Cheers, appreciated - gonna try again, but I'm really hoping you also caught the arm64 issue too? unless it's related... :smile:

edited November 2017

@Japster said:

@adent42 said:

@adent42 said:

@adent42 - Cheers, appreciated - gonna try again, but I'm really hoping you also caught the arm64 issue too? unless it's related... :smile:

sigh...

PS @adent42 - Still shows 7.0 on the portal despite reloading, but gave it a try anyway - seems to build as 8.0 min, as the other 2 errors have now disappeared, just frustrated by the arm64 bit holding us back now...

@Jasper I just pushed a publishing update, give it a shot. It should include the key with a listing for both armv7 and arm64.

@adent42 said:
    @Jasper I just pushed a publishing update, give it a shot. It should include the key with a listing for both armv7 and arm64.

@adent42 - Thanks! Here goes... :smile: