The Big Picture - August 2010 - Wait for it... Wait for it...

Comments

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    "sigh"

so pause should have been working ages ago, but its nice its going back in.... and the speed improvements and memory fixes should be a constantly ongoing task throughout the products lifetime. Theres still no information if specific editor tools and interface improvements are to be implemented.

Its mostly just more vague talk though, no different than usual....

I guess at least the admittance that theyre looking at rewriting the engine gives some hope that it might actually get the interface and tools it sorely needs.

I think I'll be concentrating on my contract gigs and playing with Unity for a while, and putting my GameSalad projects on a back burner until I see some solid improvements to the interface and tools.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Way to lighten the mood, chunky!
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Man, I really hope GameCenter is a high priority... just after memory.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    @T and chunky - I've also learned that the proof is in the pudding and as of yet we have not tasted the pudding - but it was still a really positive yellow post so I don't think this is the time for pessimism. that's all
  • amigoniamigoni Member Posts: 78
    Nice! Had a suspicion Pause was coming so I didn't do any work to do it manually. Glad about better performance too. I am sure it will keep improving but this one time I suspect it will be quite a jump. I think for once it will change some of the gameplays that I have planned out.

I hope inApp purchases and social are coming in the next couple of months. Openfeint is becoming huge, over 35 millions now and gamecenter will be growing fast too.

In App purchases though will allow us to develop deeper games. Instead of just making new titles to make some money, we will be able to spend more time to really develop one idea and great gameplay that can be enjoyed over time.

All good news.
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    Sounds awesome, as long as they fix bugs, BUT NEVER ADD ANY, NEVER RELEASE AN UPDATE WITH BUGS, I DONT CARE IF I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH, I DONT WANT ANY NEW BUGS.

Also, I hope pause isn't *preserve scene* I hope theres like a checkbox on actors or rules that says pause. Preserve scene sucked and I'm not using that if I can build me game in one scene and have it only load once. Multiple loading between images and menus is ridiculous, not to mention the game needing to load to pause. Really the only need for different scenes is to have multiple levels.

Other than that garbage I posted up there I am very excited for Gendai and GS's bright future ahead! Great work guys, the wait was worth it!!!!!

(That came out harsher than it was supposed to, take it with a grain of salt please :) and I guess it just shows I'm really passionate about it? hopefully? :D )
  • nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    Im kind of sad to see everyone going super happy mode, just because they saw a yellow post.

One yellow post doesn't erase all the headaches, problems, lack of basic features, lack of communication, etc, etc, etc. Just take a look at the "lack of big picture" post if you managed to forget everything.

Im not the kind to go all pessimist, but, unfortunately, gamesalad managed to suck all my optimism.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    nulo said:
    not the kind to go all pessimist, but, unfortunately, gamesalad managed to suck all my optimism.

I'm still somewhat pessimistic too. It doesn't solve the issue of the high cost of Pro.

If Game Center is part of Express, that just leaves hyperlinks, iAds and custom loading screens. That doesn't really seem like a fair value for the additional $1900.
  • ShpintShpint Member Posts: 404
    WOW!!! Can't wait for the update!!!!!
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    AS far as game center Open Feint is actually working with game center so they can merge.

I actually just added open feint to a game of mine and it wasnt to hard.

The way the SDK works I could see GS being able to integrate it right in as a rule in the system.

Its very logic friendly.

The only issue is GS i think would have to license it as they would need to insert the api into our final game.

The actual xcode part of it is fairly complicated but again GS would manage that part.

Basically we would get open feint and game center it sounds like.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Best Big Picture EVER! PAUSE, WOOHOO!!!!

And maybe now my shooter project (and the current racing one) can use spawning actors instead of shifting around "instances", which gets VERY complex and confusing, VERY quickly!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Back from a night out, and reading through all these posts... well...

I can think of only one thing.

God, I LOVE women that look like a young Nana Mouskouri...

:O

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    I would like to test out being a mod...............................................................

Edit: new screen-graph? That means a new designer! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_graph)

*prays for grid*
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    quantumsheep said:

God, I LOVE women that look like a young Nana Mouskouri...

quantumsheep said:

God, I LOVE women that look like a young Nana

Sick, dude.

:-P
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I'd really love to see some big performance improvements with the number of actors on screen. I've got a few ideas that GS just can't handle right now, even on the iPhone 4.
    Tell me about it... not only onscreen but destroying them currently doesn't free up memory. A HUGE drawback. Glad they're onto it!
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    O my god! Pause! I am almost realeasing a huge game and i need pause and performance! Thx gs!
    Me too :)
    butterbean said:

Mmmmmm... lovely! :D

• design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I guess I'll have to Google Nana Mouskouri.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Oh my. She was lovely :D

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Memory issues and performance 1st...

+1 to that!

Darren.
  • ToastKittenToastKitten Member Posts: 360
    I 2nd the memory & performance tweaking. Who needs a pause button when the game freezes on it's own :P

But seriously, if this update is what it says it will be, I will have all faith restored into GS ;)
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    Hooray for Pause and other vague improvements!
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    Don't "Big Picture" posts usually get sticky'd?

Another question*, will there be a lot of work for devs who want their current projects to work with the updated engine?

*Sorry if that had been asked, I didn't check. :-(
    That's a very good point. I might as well stop working on my game NOW if it's not going to work with the update...
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    Yea put mine on hold