The Big Picture - August 2010 - Wait for it... Wait for it...

12346»

Comments

• iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    @jweaver911:

That's an awesome poem. You should try to publish it to a mag ask for a share of the profits. (If you do, do that, make sure to correct "GS" to GameSalad.

---------

And still waiting..... No communications from GS is bad, just like how "please leave us alone" from Steve Jobs is bad.
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    @iDeveloper yes but there is quite a bit of difference between Steeve jobs and GS...
    He manages to get the products done in time!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    iDeveloper said:
    @jweaver911:

That's an awesome poem. You should try to publish it to a mag ask for a share of the profits. (If you do, do that, make sure to correct "GS" to GameSalad.

Welcome to the music of Johnny Cash...

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    Yeah... I can't take credit... I just rewrote some of the lyrics to suit our situation... :)
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    My band got hired to play at this "night club" in the middle of nowhere on the condition that we play a Johnny Cash tune. We are not a cover band, but we wanted the money so we learned fulsom prison. As it turned out there was a snow storm and the only person who showed up at the gig was this old drunk that thought he was at home! So our music went mostly unheard that night. Hopefully the old drunk does NOT represent gendai! (Hell, at least he showed up... be it on accident)
  • forkliftforklift Member Posts: 386
    As someone who just downloaded 0.8.9 last week and began prototyping, the feature I would most like to see in the next version = resources freed from 'destroyed' actors.
  • danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236
    I think they need to add a marketing director, maybe give us a little something to look forward to instead of shiny yellow posts?
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    @forklift

Resources are freed, just not immediately. I've got a game that spawns and destroys actors really fast. Memory usage goes up and up and up but then peaks around 30mb.
  • forkliftforklift Member Posts: 386
    @ORBZ

Can you expound on when they are freed up? Such as under what circumstances?

Otherwise, I'm assuming you mean once the 30MB cap is reached, it begins to recycle the resources.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    I couldn't tell you the circumstances, that is the black magic voodoo that's happening under the hood of GS. It begins recycling the resources around 30mb. After that it fluctuates + or - 1mb. Sometimes it drops down to 29mb, sometimes it shoots up to 31. But overall it's stable at ~ 30mb.
  • cbradio84cbradio84 Member Posts: 3
    ToastKitten said:
    I 2nd the memory & performance tweaking. Who needs a pause button when the game freezes on it's own :P

But seriously, if this update is what it says it will be, I will have all faith restored into GS ;)

maybe I have not built an intensive application yet, but my games do not freeze 1 bit, on my ipod touch 2f, iphone 4, ipad, or macbook/macbook pro
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    cbradio84 said:
    maybe I have not built an intensive application yet, but my games do not freeze 1 bit, on my ipod touch 2f, iphone 4, ipad, or macbook/macbook pro

oh, do hope the update arrives before you get an intensive game going!

seems like all mine are at the stage where it is quit/ restart GS.
    have taken to just doing the artwork, music, sounds...and waiting for the next version.

MH
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    MotherHoose said:
    have taken to just doing the artwork, music, sounds...and waiting for the next version.

Good to keep productive I think! :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• reddotincreddotinc Member Posts: 653
    I'm now thinking the title should have had a couple hundred more "Wait for it..." 's

:)

// red.