The Big Picture - August 2010 - Wait for it... Wait for it...

Comments

• amigoniamigoni Member Posts: 78
    I have been fully concentrating on switching over to Corona for the past week and a half. I have no previous experience in coding whatsoever. I can't really say that it has been a walk in the park. It's very very challenging and I have two degrees in Engineering. I think I have a pretty good grasp on it now but I still think that I am about a week away from replicating what I have in Game Salad.

It seems that Corona is significantly faster than Xcode or other methods, but it is still programming and with it, you still have to learn event based programming and object oriented programming on top of the normal syntax.

What I am noticing on top of that is that there are many many things that I just took for granted that Game Salad just offers right out of the box.

Overall, I would say that if you have no major gripes in your game with performance and crashing and if you don't mind having the GS logo when the app start and you can live without openfeint or gamecenter for the next month or so. Stay with GS. It's well worth it and an amazing product.

The amazing thing about GS is that once you learn the basics you can just have an idea and in a few days draft it out. It's like a turbo boost on your creative process. Spending time with coding instead can be frustrating and can kill that creative process.

On the other hand, if you want to have advanced features and have lots of patience I think It's worth it to go to Corona or something else.
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    @giacomopoppi:

Over two months is unprofessional. If they can't get it done, then sell GS to Apple. I was once happy with previous updates, but now it's getting ridiculous. Two months is way too long.
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    yep... lets hope that the next updates are so good that they will flip the situation.... but GS is missing soooooo much.....i doubt it will ever become a complete product.
    It's like when iPhone 4 was announced. No Retina display support until AFTER iPhone 4 released. Same with iAd.

I hope us Express users get iAd. "Pro" seems to be the same as Express only with custom splash screens and URL forwarding. Only for $1800 more. GS should have only one platform at $99.
  • NeverbeNeverbe Member Posts: 117
    iDeveloper said:GS should have only one platform at $99.
    Quote...
    GS should have only a 99$ platform 2000$ is to to to to much.
    GameCenter/Video and maybe also iAd should be for express user.
    If Gendai will bring GameCenter only to Pro user I'll leave GS...
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    I think Pro should be $7.30 and Express should be $2.15
  • rickynikorickyniko Member Posts: 85
    firemaplegames said:

agreed :)
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    firemaplegames said:

Can we not round it down to $7 and $2 respectively?

Otherwise I'm leaving GS.

QS ;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Neverbe said:
    Quote...
    GS should have only a 99$ platform 2000$ is to to to to much.
    GameCenter/Video and maybe also iAd should be for express user.
    If Gendai will bring GameCenter only to Pro user I'll leave GS...

Didnt they already indicate that it wouldnt be pro only? Also, come on guys, i know we're all excited and want an update but surely it means the longer we go waiting, the bigger the update? Gendai have a harder task than the other tools out there, where as people like Corona, Unity etc can build it in quicker, they dont have to find a way to implement it all like Gendai do, with the drag and drop that is soooo easy for us to use in comparison. Just be patient, im sure its not far off now.
    firemaplegames said:
    I wasn't joking. 99$ for the express is a good price but 2000$ for the pro is to much. I think that 99$ for the express and 500$ (3000$ for a life license) for the pro will be good.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    I think iPod Touches should be $59 and iPads should be $149. That way they wouldn't be as expensive.
    firemaplegames said:
    I think iPod Touches should be $59 and iPads should be $149. That way they wouldn't be as expensive.
    I cannot understand what have you said...
    99$express and 250/500$ pro is a reasonable price (also the price of the iTouch is a really good price). It's my opinion I didn't say taht the price MUST be 99 and 250.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I know it's been a long time, but I'm an optimist. This next one will be a very, very nice one, and we will all be happy with GameSalad again.

I would not be at all surprised to learn the delay is because of Game Center.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    design219 said:
    I would not be at all surprised to learn the delay is because of Game Center.

I think it is too.
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    firemaplegames said:

hahahahahahahahaha!

I have the same thoughts about the battery, why not use a bigger one. Then it will last longer.
    uhm.... what is going on here, GS?? i really hope this will be a big update because i'm getting quite annoyed...
    Am i alone thinking that the update is taking far far far far far far far to long?
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    There is a yellow post...no one else notice?
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Where?
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    design219 said:
    Where?

• Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    top sticky...someone else has noticed...
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Rob2 said:
    top sticky...someone else has noticed...

This has nothing to do with the update:(
    giacomopoppi said:
    uhm.... what is going on here, GS?? i really hope this will be a big update because i'm getting quite annoyed...
    Am i alone thinking that the update is taking far far far far far far far to long?

The update is taking far too long. It should have been released by now. The "Big Picture" was posted in August, and now it's almost mid-September.

This is getting somewhat annoying to me.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    iDeveloper said:
    The update is taking far too long. It should have been released by now. The "Big Picture" was posted in August, and now it's almost mid-September.

This is getting somewhat annoying to me.

you forget that while it was posted in august, it was only 2 weeks ago. That's nothing. It'll be released when it's ready, which is hopefully soon, but I don't want them to rush it and send out a crappy product.
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    We did get two updates in July even if one was mainly a bug fix it did have some additions and yes I really wish we already had an update but hopefully it will be worth the wait
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    They are going to include the "Weird Science" feature. You can make a woman from thin air... actually, that's not too far in the future according to a doco I watched last night - scientists believe that within the next 20-50 years we will have Start Trek styled replicators! Apparently the technology exists, we just lack the computing grunt! I WANT ONE! It probably won't make living things, though. LOL

Talk about off-topic. LOL.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Quantum processors is the way to go :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Sheep powered?
    ... how much longer GS??
    It must be a really huge update to take this long! (I hope)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    i hope we either get a release or an update by the end of september. I'm not holding my breath though.
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    AppStore Prison Blues

By Johnny...err.. Jweave Cash.

I hear the train a comin'
    It's rollin' 'round the bend,
    And I ain't seen the sunshine,
    Since, July again,
    I'm stuck in app development,
    And time keeps draggin' on,
    But that train keeps a-rollin',
    On down to 'ole iTunes.

I bet there's rich folks makin',