The Lost City - new adventure game from Fire Maple Games!

firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
Hey everybody!

I wanted to show everyone a preview of the new adventure game I am working on!

It's called The Lost City, and takes place in an ancient, abandoned city located deep in the forest.

Here's a quick blurb to whet your appetite:

Dad was right.

Nobody believed him. Not even you, his only child.

But he was right. And more so than you could ever imagine.

The city before you, deep in the mist shrouded forest, can't be found on any map. It shouldn't even exist. Though it's been dead for centuries, you feel a mysterious power begin to awaken from the ruins around you.

Legend has it the civilization that build this place could somehow control the seasons. But nobody listens to legends.

Nobody except Dad.

And he was right.

You look again at the artifact he left you. Close to this lost city, it almost seems alive in your hand.

The city does exist. It's real.

Could the secret magic, powerful enough to change the seasons, be real too?

Features:

• The Lost City will be about 5x larger than my previous adventure game, The Secret of Grisly Manor.
• A journal that keeps track of all the symbols and clues that you encounter.
• A dynamic map that shows all of the areas you have explored, as well as your current location.
• A complete hint guide and walkthrough will be available as an in-app purchase.
• The Lost City will be translated into several languages.
• Available for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad!

And here are a few screenshots:

Thanks for looking!

Joe
Fire Maple Games
www.firemaplegames.com

Comments

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    very cool, looking forward to it!
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Looks flipping fantastic Joe.

A top 10 for sure!

Darren.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Awesome as always Joe, cant wait to try this one. I note you say there will be a hint guide as an in-app purchase? Is this not built with GameSalad or are you using some currency and game store within the game?
  • PortgasPortgas Member Posts: 71
    art look stunning! You made it all by yourself? Awesome
  • THRSTNTHRSTN Member Posts: 178
    That looks amazing! Can't wait to play it.
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    Wow! Brilliant as always, Joe! Love the story.

Your website is new, too, isn't it?
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    That seems really good! Any news of when you plan to release it?

If you plan to translate it also in italian I can help. I'm a pro freelance translator from english to italian and I can offer good rates. Feel free to contact me if interested.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Looking great Joe! Do you need any betatesters? :)

P.S. I can translate your game to polish.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    wow stunning graphically .. wish I had half that talent (even a quarter)!

Like the storyline so far also well done Joe.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Amazing!
    I hope, it will be longer and with a better ending, than your previous one :-)
    Keep up the good work.

@TheMoonWalls:
    Jak sie czujesz?
    @Hunnenkoenig
    Dobrze :) und Ihnen, wie Sie sich fühlen?
    @TheMoonWalls:
    Danke, gut :-)

Unfortunately my polish is very rusty and I can't write, just speak a bit, because I didn't exercise since 20 years, but I am always happy to meat polish people :-)
    I was considering to learn polish again, but then I chose Spanish instead. Polish will be the next :-)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • FanStudioUKFanStudioUK Member Posts: 459
    Very nice graphics, can't wait to play it!!! :D
  • gameviccigamevicci Member, PRO Posts: 306
    Congratulations FireMaple, your Secret of Grisly Manor is the only professional game made with gamesalad, and this will be the next!!
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    @gamevicci
    The ONLY PROFESSIONAL game made with GS?
    That's a little harsh to all of the others.
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    AMAZING! Seeing a post about an upcoming game by you, Joe, is almost as good as seeing a yellow Post!!! The Graphics are SUPER! I can't wait til its out! A top 10 game for SURE!
    ~CTM
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    FMG... looks great. Can't wait to play this one...

Hopefully my game 'Dark Asylum... the something or other' will be able to echo 10% of how good Grisly Manor was.

Love your artwork style,

Grisly Manor has been a real target for so many people on this forum. Me included....

Good luck making a the project, I'm now appreciating how much work it takes to even make something as long as Grisly Manor. As 3 months on and my game can be played in about 5 minutes at the moment. But its getting easier to produce each new scene now all the back end work is done.
  • PIXOMUSEPIXOMUSE Member Posts: 101
    Anybody tell me, including firemaplegames, :), how well Grisly Manor did in terms of sales ?

EDIT : Looks nice btw ! ;)
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    Just checked out your site Joe, boy do you have a lot of games! I looked at the Grisly Manor page, and it said it was developed with Corona SDK. http://www.firemaplegames.com/tsogm.html I thought it was made with GS. Did you make an updated version with GS? So will The Lost City being made with GS or Corona?
    ~CTM
  • CodeCodeCodeCode Member Posts: 200
    hoho finally^^
    The graphics are beautiful
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Yeah. Just checked the update on my phone. Deffo not GS anymore. No splash, very very quick loading, no loading between scenes hardly. Just a much much smoother experience all round now.
    On toucharcade he says, there is inapp purchase in the game, so it is definatelly not GS.
  • NesesitaGamesNesesitaGames Member Posts: 160
    Beautiful beautiful! I love how the controls look so simple as well.
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    It's made in Corona, just like the update to Grisly, I believe.

Looks awesome Joe, I hope it goes twice as well as your last game. :D
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    It's a litte bit of a shame to see this is now being made with Corona, and Bubble Ball (the current number one free app made by a 14 year old) was started in GameSalad before he decided Corona was better...

Though I can see why improved loading times between scenes would be beneficial in a point and click game...
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    The loading in GS has always been a sticking point with me.
    Loading length always feels a bit too long, and it's fairly intrusive when it does happen.

I tried to get around it in my last game (Cosmic Spark) by having everything in 1 scene and using the camera to simulate scenes. Which works well. But unfortunately makes things a little harder to keep track of, and memory usage seemed a lot higher than I would expect.
    It is a shame, but the GS guys brought it on themselves.

If GS would evolve as it should, everybody would be happy.

Now I am thinking about learning LUA too. I don't understand, why the Corona Guys won't make a GUI for their software. It would be relatively easy, I think.

Maybe I will try to get one of my programmers to make it and sell the GUI for good money :-P

However, if things stay as they are, I give GS 1, or max 2 years and it is no more...
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    stormystudio said:
    It's a litte bit of a shame to see this is now being made with Corona, and Bubble Ball (the current number one free app made by a 14 year old) was started in GameSalad before he decided Corona was better...

Though I can see why improved loading times between scenes would be beneficial in a point and click game...

Then there's Doodle Dash/Monster Tilt.

But keep in mind that the original Grisly that was so successful was a GS game.

It's not the tool as much as how you use it; my most successful game was still created by GS - although I expect that to change pretty soon - and while no big shot compared to many others here I am doing quite well considering I've only been making apps for around 6 months now.
    I think that Joe's example can be a perfect "kick" for the GameSalad team. As far as I know, Joe changed the software in the Grisly's update, because he wanted to have shorter loading times.
    So, if the GS team make the loading times much shorter, then everyone will be happy.
This discussion has been closed.