State of GameSalad on 6/30/2015...

Comments

• ArticulatorArticulator Member, PRO Posts: 9

Im not sure what your point is here really. I havent complained about the pricing, in fact, identified that the pricing for education is pretty darn good.
    in fact I wrote:
    "I also, and I am sure that many other institutions, very much appreciate the generous education pricing. It is quite substantial,"

Only the timing and amount of time that has been given to institutions such us us to adapt, midway through a program and budget/financial year has been the issue. I start a program with 26 students, go away for mid year holidays and then find that I have to find nearly $3000AUS in 14 days so that my students can complete their 12 week program. Ive cancelled the Game Design with my Year 10s (15 of them, and my year 11s, 12 of them) even though I have been promoting this as a major and exciting task for the majority of this year.
    I am already in negotiations with senior management to discuss budgets for next year as I think that the price is reasonable for education.
    The inclusion of the hardware that I indicated was to demonstrate that the software was an important part of our curriculum, teaching the students much more than playing games.
    The students cover project management/design process, extensive use of the Adobe Creative cloud, sound editing, image editing and much more.
    Although Macs are bright shiny and attractive, it took around us around 6months of research, including visiting universities, talking to students who had attended the universities to identify the best way forward when our lab hardware was to be renewed. Most Universities here use Macs. I spent a lot of my own personal time doing this. I had never owned a Mac and had only seen the Bright Shiny Objects at Universities and the Apple Store. And I certainly didnt go up to the purse string holder and say "I need tens of thousands of dollars before the fortnight ends.
    People with their hands on the purse strings are reluctant to hand out money when after a thorough budgeting process has been undertaken, for the year, over 9 months prior. Unfortunately for us we have budgets to stick to, maybe in the real world, a business, a successful Game Designer or a Company can just reach in a grab a few thousand dollars to solve their problems.
    I wish it were that easy for us.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited July 2015

@andrew.mcmillan@bcgs.wa.edu.au said:
    Im not sure what your point is here really. I havent complained about the pricing

No one has said you have complained about the pricing.

I wrote - italicised in my post for emphasis - "not that this [is] your issue at all, just using your point here as a springboard to make a more general point"

My post was broadly supportive of your situation.

@andrew.mcmillan@bcgs.wa.edu.au said:
    Although Macs are bright shiny and attractive . . .

You entirely missed the point of my post :grimace: :no_mouth:

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited July 2015

@Socks said:
    room full of shiny iMacs or PCs, looks impressive when the parents / school inspectors visit, looks good when promoting the school, but software like GameSalad is much less visible, especially to less technically minded people.

I want Apple to move to a free model.

Or GameSalad to come in a box! :)

@Hopscotch said:
    Or GameSalad to come in a box!

What happened to the days when software would take 2 weeks to arrive and come on 32 seperate CDs ! :smile:

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Socks said:
    I want Apple to move to a free model. :wink:

Good idea. Free Macs, free OS (which we already have), just pay for applications upfront, annual subscription or by the month. Sounds like the new GS model, just without free Macs.

@dgackey How about it Dan, a free Mac with Pro subscription for 5 years? ;)

What happened to the days when software would take 2 weeks to arrive and come on 32 seperate CDs ! :smile:

I have a garage full of them! We hang them on a 45 ft pine in the front yard at Christmas. :D

@CodeWizard . . . Long time no State of GameSalad !? :) Three weeks of radio silence, especially after such bloodletting/regime change ? I realise you're probably very busy, but the cattle need to be fed !! :smiley:

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Socks said:
    CodeWizard . . . Long time no State of GameSalad !? :) Three weeks of radio silence, especially after such bloodletting/regime change ? I realise you're probably very busy, but the cattle need to be fed !! :smiley:

+1

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited July 2015

The GS revolution has only just begun. B)

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Socks +1 definitely want see a status update! The only reason I'm checking the forums lately is to find out if they posted something new regarding 0.14.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@CodeWizard has a lot on his plate, perhaps hand over the state of Gamesalad responsibility to @ForumNinja

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Lovejoy @Socks I know we all have a lot on our plate! I'll chat with @CodeWizard to see if we can draft up a newer one for you guys this weekend or Monday :)

@ForumNinja said:
    Lovejoy Socks I know we all have a lot on our plate! I'll chat with CodeWizard to see if we can draft up a newer one for you guys this weekend or Monday :)

Thanks ! :smile:

Good man.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

yes please , state of Gamesalad @ForumNinja @CodeWizard , but don't mention any thing which is not coming before end of this year,Or clearly mention this feature is expected next year, and update road map also,before 13.2 release Gamesalad is planning to release Admob and new render engine together in .14, but suddenly they added admob in 13.31 and released,then what happened to new render engine..is it coming too late..or no more?
    Thanks

Always under promise. Then when you do over and above everyone thinks you're a hero.

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Always under promise. Then when you do over and above everyone thinks you're a hero.

You're a miracle worker Scotty!

@Approw said:
    Socks +1 definitely want see a status update! The only reason I'm checking the forums lately is to find out if they posted something new regarding 0.14.

0.14 is the second coming.

I am currently ensconced in a jungle enclave with 240 other worshippers, waiting for the clouds to part and 0.14 to descend in a blaze of phosphorous white light, we have been praying and sacrificing animals for a month now, but we never loose faith.

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited July 2015

When these future updates become the present and past, how will you feel then? :)

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Yep, just the facts, ma'am.

@owen_dennis said:

Haha that's exactly where i got that

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Socks we have been praying and sacrificing animals for a month now, but we never loose faith.

I keep dreaming about 0.14 being released, when I wake up and check gamesalad, it ain't there... sacrificing animals is a great idea to make the development of 0.14 go faster, I will give it a go this weekend. Do you recommend cats, dogs or goats?

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited July 2015

@Approw said:
    Socks +1 definitely want see a status update! The only reason I'm checking the forums lately is to find out if they posted something new regarding 0.14.

Judging by what bugs are being brought up in bugzilla for 0.14, I'm guessing it'll be a few months yet. Framerates look like they're still chunky, and I highly doubt they'd release it unless it was at least on par with what we currently have.

I had a dream that 14 had rewarded video ads, Facebook integration, Playstogether support and MegaTextures.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited July 2015

Here's your updated State of GameSalad:

Might do a real one soon. ;)

I say we all flag @CodeWizard

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited July 2015

@CodeWizard said:
    Here's your updated State of GameSalad:

Unicycle bear on a tightrope.

Might do a real one soon. ;)

Is that your toy? I want one.

Thanks, it inspired an idea for a great GS game. :)

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Hahaha. Nice one @CodeWizard.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Isn't it about time for a new " state of gamesalad ". This one has been road hard and put up wet.