Platformer game progress

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited November 2016

Now I wanted to remove the black outline from the main hero as some suggested and said the main player doesn't fit with everything else , and I had a problem , I couldn't see the hero clearly due to the blue hair/skin and the shirt color , so I changed the skin and hair color to red .. added some bats , and spiders in ... Wanted to do that but couldnt bother drawing ( I hate drawing and animating)

And to put them into action ( last update for now till i finish 80 % of the game )

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Sounds good. Everybody works trial by error.
    It's going well. Keep it up.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited November 2016

yep good choice the player fits much more into the world now.

Also the different design of the buttons on the left vs the once on the right seem to me not fitting to each other.

Would have them the same style on both sides, I would say the left style as its more neutral.

I love the atmospheric music and sounds just as I write this I realise how much it sounds like some final fantasy game (the old ones, the good ones)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@BigDave said:
    Also the different design of the buttons on the left vs the once on the right seem to me not fitting to each other.

Would have them the same style on both sides, I would say the left style as its more neutral.

Agreed, buttons would look nicer being the same.

@Toque appreciate all the support your giving thanks alot man :)

@BigDave @Socks I'll definitely change the buttons later on , i borrowed them from my older game , so ill look into it once im done .. thanks !

@Icebox

I did this bouncy spider thread for someone else, but I thought you could use it for your spider ??? You'd just need to replace the 'spider' actor with your actual spider.

You'd probably also need to scale the animation frames down, as they are much bigger than you probably need.

It might not be right for your game, but feel free to use it if you think it might work.

P.S. All evil spiders need glowing red eyes, it's the law.

One other thought . . . . I think it'd look better if you lose or disguise as many of the hard straight edges as possible . . .

@Socks Thanks alot I was looking for ways to do it searching earlier threads and couldnt find much , this is awesome... Though I will go with my method cause its easier to do . I spawn 3x5 thread actor as the spider is moving down and destroy them when the spider collides with them as its moving up. I had issues with performance on my last game after using Trig functions , especially on android . But thanks again , ill add it to my secret "socks demo's" folder for later use :D

With the hard straight edges , its just laziness , ill have to go through them again .. and I will look into adding red glowing eyes that would look awesome.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Coming along nicely @Icebox!

Who doesn't have a "secret @Socks demo's folder"? Even if just for future evidence! :D

edited November 2016

Red spikes could be a little bigger higher. Hard to appreciate when small?

The brown animal enemy. When he dies it's a small die smoke effect. He's bigger. Bigger smoke.

I have a Venus fly trap attack animation I made if you want it. Comes from below...... (Assuming I can still find it).

I really like your player shooting effect.

@Hopscotch said:

Who doesn't have a "secret @Socks demo's folder"? Even if just for future evidence! :D

You'll never prove anything, I've got alibis for every day of the last 10 years (Broadmoor high-security psychiatric hospital).

@Toque said:

The brown animal enemy. When he dies it's a small die smoke effect. He's bigger. Bigger smoke.

I have a Venus fly trap attack animation I made if you want it. Comes from below...... (Assuming I can still find it).

I really like your player shooting effect.

The spikes would be a problem cause I designed the jumping limit above them , the brown animal should have bigger smoke effect right ! :) Thanks for wanting to share your animation that's kind of you but dont worry about it its fine , Again you have always been supportive so thanks alot

@Icebox said:

@Toque said:

The spikes would be a problem cause I designed the jumping limit above them , the brown

No worries. The player jumps quite high. The spikes are quite small. Not sure what the limit is. Carry on it's looking great.

• tvappstvapps Member, PRO Posts: 42

Hey quick question for ya, how do you take videos of your apps? I've been trying to figure out a solution to this for a long time now! Is this being played on the computer?

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@Icebox Just got around to catching up on the progress. Its really transforming. A lot of great suggestions from the community as well.
    Lots of great little details that make everything compliment each other. Also like how the movement and controls have changed over the demos. Seems to be a lot smoother and responsive.
    Best,

@tvapps Hey , use quicktime player , just connect your ios device and click new movie recording , choose to record from the device. If you want to record from the computer click "new screen recording " instead. If your on a windows , i dont really know how to do it , but you can always google and find solutions or on youtube .

@Two.E Thank you , and yes the community gave me some great suggestions, they are awesome :)

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited November 2016

@Icebox said:
    @tvapps Hey , use quicktime player , just connect your ios device and click new movie recording , choose to record from the device. If you want to record from the computer click "new screen recording " instead. If your on a windows , i dont really know how to do it , but you can always google and find solutions or on youtube .

@Two.E Thank you , and yes the community gave me some great suggestions, they are awesome :)

Exactly what I use too @Icebox - It works well... :) ...I also downloaded 'Soundflower' to be able to capture the sound too when capturing directly from the Creator or a Mac test build (using the down arrow to the right of the screen recording dialog to select sound recording too), for my preview videos - just set both input and output sound devices to Soundflower prior to recording - works a treat... You won't hear sound while recording it, but it'll be picked up and added... :)

Ps - great job on the game, BTW - looks like it's coming along nicely! - I particularly like the little animation touches, like the little billowing out at the bottom of his cape as he turns around/starts to walk! - keep it up!

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

@Hopscotch said:

They shoulda hired @Socks. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! >:)

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

First i've seen of this thread. Its great. Keep up the good work..

• tvappstvapps Member, PRO Posts: 42

@Icebox Hey, thanks for your reply! I'll give that a shot! :)

I worked on a story the past 16 hrs , gave me a headache cause I didn't know what to do! Here is a little sneak peak. :) (I hope the english is good)

That's great stuff. At 1:42. If that's a period after "first"
    I would capitalize the g in get.

But the English is perfect to me.
    Impressive.

@Toque Thanks for the help, these are things that are hard for me to notice cause i only use english here in the forums

@BigDave thanks buddy

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

Very nice gameplay so far. I like the slope platform. In gamesalad its kinda hard to do the slope. I give you a thumb up on that! Overall you have a solid start. Keep up the good work.

@Icebox said:
    @Toque Thanks for the help, these are things that are hard for me to notice cause i only use english here

No apology needed. Everyone should feel welcome here. Your English is excellent.

Iv been trying to draw a decent pixelated background but I couldnt , i just cant get it right , so i painted with a brush instead .. but now i dont know if it fits with the gameplay.. I added fog and particles made it a bit dark ... Here is a little video

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited November 2016

the painted bg and the pixel char work well together

tough some of the other chars now need to be aligned like the wizard is way to bright.
    The gold coins and its chest are a bit to greenish. ( put some more red in those, or get sure they are more on the relish half of yellow than the greenish)

Colours are deep and rich. I like it.