State of GameSalad on 11-13-2017

Comments

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@BBEnk said:
    I tested iOS still works fine, banner ads gone.

Thanks BBEnk!

• Glass FrogGlass Frog Member, PRO Posts: 136

I just asked a friend to test one of my apps on his iPhone X, he sent me a few screenshots and it looks like the app is letterboxed. He also said the banner ads don't interfere with the button interface, so hopefully, we should be fine.

My Website: http://bit.ly/2c0ohmM
    My Apps on Google Play: http://bit.ly/2cccMIy
    My Apps on Apple App Store: http://apple.co/2bUSd0i

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

@Glass Frog said:
    I just asked a friend to test one of my apps on his iPhone X, he sent me a few screenshots and it looks like the app is letterboxed. He also said the banner ads don't interfere with the button interface, so hopefully, we should be fine.

That's great news, any chance you could share the screengrab?

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@strag said:

@Glass Frog said:

That's great news, any chance you could share the screengrab?

Yes. That would be helpful.

• Glass FrogGlass Frog Member, PRO Posts: 136

@strag yeah no worries, here you go mate.

My Website: http://bit.ly/2c0ohmM
    My Apps on Google Play: http://bit.ly/2cccMIy
    My Apps on Apple App Store: http://apple.co/2bUSd0i

Thats great news.
    Does anyone know what version of xcode our GS games are currently being built with??

It seems that this determines how our apps are displayed on the iPhoneX:
    https://medium.com/@hacknicity/how-ios-apps-adapt-to-the-iphone-x-screen-size-a00bd109bbb9

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited November 2017

I think the possible problem with the deadline of the 20th is that they simply require us to be on the newest API, and if we aren't, they will stop serving ads no matter if we are requesting banners or not?

Haven't seen conclusive information on it though.

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Phew!..... GS will say, another bullet we miss! If a user finds a work around, let's avoid fixing it!

@gingagaming said:
    Phew!..... GS will say, another bullet we miss! If a user finds a work around, let's avoid fixing it!

Ha ha, you're not wrong!
    Fingers crossed that Admob do continue servings ads to the letterboxed iPhoneX apps without any issues.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

Thanks for posting that @Glass Frog. That's reassuring.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,051

Sorry, I had to get a phone to test (because of certain optimizations, the engine doesn't work on simulator). I just got the phone, I'll be testing the fix tomorrow. Sorry we'll miss the deadline but hopefully we'll get something up soon.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,051

Also, I'm gonna do the ad network version updates after releasing the positioning fixes, because it's been a pain rewriting the code to account for the new APIs.

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited November 2017

@adent42 @ForumNinja Will there be an update to the creator to support stretch to fit for iPhone X, as well as the publishing "custom loading image" for iPhone X?

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@adent42 if the ad networks are such a rewrite, then please add feedback for us, of whether an ad was available on rewarded ads.

• firaxofiraxo Member Posts: 11

Cheers, thanks for the heads up.
    Great timing, I was wondering.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Hi Team.

If you are taking suggestions for the Web Creator:

I click Scene, I then Click Actors, finish my edit, I then need to Click Scene and the _click _ Scene 1 to go back to what I was working on. Any way to make that shorter. Simply unselecting the actor could take me bank to the scene view?

Can we turn off the buttons that spin when mouse hover? (During preview)

I have projects in the MacBook size (1280 x 800), and when I press preview, it defaults to the 4:3 ration (landscape) and I have to manually change it to suit. Should it be doing this?

When moving an actor around scene, can it round to a position, rather than being X = 40.985? I know this was an issue with the creator and was fixed.

Really like the ability to edit positions, size and attributes without opening an actor. Been top feature request when making grids!

When editing an actors properties without opening up the logic behaviours, would it be possible to hide the Colour, or the Size, or Positions options? And then have that applied to all actors that I then edit. Would make editing self attributes so much easier, since I don't always need to change the colour and it takes up a lot of room.

This is a small design issue that hardly worth mentioning:

Really like it that in the Game Tabs ( where I can access the game attributes, layers etc) remembers where I have scrolled down to. Saves so much time. Only issue is in Layers, where I have so many actors, when clicking on an actor on scene, I would like to see it show where that actor is in the layer (by jumping to it) so I can see where it is located. Otherwise its just means I have to scroll and try find it which takes time.

Really like the Expression editor is acting as a gateway to learning code. Dislike it from a practical perspective. I am dragging and dropping everything else in the game, and now I have to look at this coding stuff. I appreciate how great this is, and will make the transition out of GS much easier, but I also feel your educational work is overlapping with developers ease of use.

Is there a way to turn of Errors? I know when I have not entered in an attribute because I just deleted it, I don't need the logic shifting around when editing things. Great feature, but I wouldn't want it on all the time.

Any plans on making it work on Safari? Since half of your user is based has access to the browser, I would have thought it would be something to look into.

Seriously, great work. I was very concerned with it all, but after an hour and a bit of playing around, it is shaping up nicely. I have imported several projects in and only got a few issues. I feel there are some design choices that make development longer than needed, but perhaps it is my lack (or difference) of habit.

My only concern is that the forums seems to be something you guys don't want to be apart of or engage with?

Best,
    Two.E

edited November 2017

@Two.E said:
    Hin I press preview, it defaults to the 4:3 ration (landscape) and I have to manually change it to suit. Should it be doing this?

When moving an actor around scene, can it round to a position, rather than being X = 40.985? I know this was an issue with the creator and
    My only concern is that the forums seems to be something you guys don't want to be apart of or engage with?

>

Still time to get some excitement going for the new tool.

• cgrios88cgrios88 Member, PRO Posts: 3

I have now made 6 request for the high Sierra beta and have been totally ignored. This is ridiculous! I am a teacher and am loosing an insane amount of class time because of this issue. We tried to use the HTML5 creator and ran into plenty of issues. Now you say you have a beta we can use but wont share it! What sense does it make to ignore someone that is responsible for 30 game salad accounts. That is 30 paying customers that are being ignored.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263
    edited November 2017

Well this is certainly the weirdest thread in a while.

• MelodyCatsMelodyCats Member, PRO Posts: 128

@Hypnorabbit said:
    Well this is certainly the weirdest thread in a while.

:)

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Ignoring @njcdc08 for a moment (I don't have Sous Chef/Moderator privileges for this thread), What @Two.E brings up is to me one of the most important aspects of the design of Creator/Web Creator: usability. Remembering settings (e.g. window size/location, which actor was last used, etc.) and shortening actions (why click 5 times when you can click twice?) would go so far to make this product better.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited November 2017

@tatiang said:
    Ignoring @njcdc08 for a moment (I don't have Sous Chef/Moderator privileges for this thread), What @Two.E brings up is to me one of the most important aspects of the design of Creator/Web Creator: usability. Remembering settings (e.g. window size/location, which actor was last used, etc.) and shortening actions (why click 5 times when you can click twice?) would go so far to make this product better.

I am worried two years from now we will still be having this same discussion. “Why do I have to click 5 times to ......”.

How much fun and valuable to engage the community for some of that Stuff?

I’ve made my suggestions/ opinions. Hope for the best.

Its still early I hope everything TwoE and others suggestions are considered.

Eager to build something with it and give a real test!!

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Two.E Thank you for all the great feedback, it's much appreciated!

@Two.E said:
    Hi Team.

If you are taking suggestions for the Web Creator:

I click Scene, I then Click Actors, finish my edit, I then need to Click Scene and the _click _ Scene 1 to go back to what I was working on. Any way to make that shorter. Simply unselecting the actor could take me bank to the scene view?

If you take a look in your settings, there should be a "smart navigation" option that helps with that some by auto-switching the tabs in the Library to what you will most likely want (i.e when you select a scene, the actors tab will be auto-selected after. If you select an actor, the behaviors tab will be auto-selected etc).

Can we turn off the buttons that spin when mouse hover? (During preview)

Yes we can, and yes we will.

I have projects in the MacBook size (1280 x 800), and when I press preview, it defaults to the 4:3 ration (landscape) and I have to manually change it to suit. Should it be doing this?

Currently that's what it should be doing, yes. We still need to add in the functionality so that it defaults to the aspect ratio of whatever size you've selected.

When moving an actor around scene, can it round to a position, rather than being X = 40.985? I know this was an issue with the creator and was fixed.

Amen to this. I believe it rounds properly when you're at 100% zoom, it's when you zoom in / out some before moving actors that causes the decimals to start showing up.

When editing an actors properties without opening up the logic behaviours, would it be possible to hide the Colour, or the Size, or Positions options? And then have that applied to all actors that I then edit. Would make editing self attributes so much easier, since I don't always need to change the colour and it takes up a lot of room.

Tan could speak more to this, but I think that's a possibility that could definitely be useful.

Really like it that in the Game Tabs ( where I can access the game attributes, layers etc) remembers where I have scrolled down to. Saves so much time. Only issue is in Layers, where I have so many actors, when clicking on an actor on scene, I would like to see it show where that actor is in the layer (by jumping to it) so I can see where it is located. Otherwise its just means I have to scroll and try find it which takes time.

Agreed, this would be a nice feature to add for people with larger projects.

Really like the Expression editor is acting as a gateway to learning code. Dislike it from a practical perspective. I am dragging and dropping everything else in the game, and now I have to look at this coding stuff. I appreciate how great this is, and will make the transition out of GS much easier, but I also feel your educational work is overlapping with developers ease of use.

Is there a way to turn of Errors? I know when I have not entered in an attribute because I just deleted it, I don't need the logic shifting around when editing things. Great feature, but I wouldn't want it on all the time.

I could see this being a beneficial setting (added it to our list).

Any plans on making it work on Safari? Since half of your user is based has access to the browser, I would have thought it would be something to look into.

Tan can speak more to why it doesn't function properly on Safari than I can.

Really like the ability to edit positions, size and attributes without opening an actor. Been top feature request when making grids!

Seriously, great work. I was very concerned with it all, but after an hour and a bit of playing around, it is shaping up nicely. I have imported several projects in and only got a few issues. I feel there are some design choices that make development longer than needed, but perhaps it is my lack (or difference) of habit.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks again for the feedback it's very nice to have!

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@tatiang said:
    ... What @Two.E brings up is to me one of the most important aspects of the design of Creator/Web Creator: usability. Remembering settings (e.g. window size/location, which actor was last used, etc.) and shortening actions (why click 5 times when you can click twice?) would go so far to make this product better.

Agreed. Usability is one of the areas we're working to improve (can't wait for the ability to type to add behaviors like the Windows version).

• John blackJohn black Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the update

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Friday, as it turned out. The new version of the SDK, 7.26.0, has been released and is available for download here:

https://developers.google.com/admob/ios/download

The podspec for the SDK has also been updated with the latest version.

This release includes a fix for the interstitial close button issue as well as a small change to our native APIs.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-admob-ads-sdk/LXnPtaSYXTY/b86pizjAAAAJ

Will we get this AdMob SDK update? @adent42

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

@unbeatenpixel I'm working on it now! :) For expediency, I'm hoping to be able to just update admob for this next release and then do revmob later, since that's a significant change.

@adent42 said:
    @unbeatenpixel I'm working on it now! :) For expediency, I'm hoping to be able to just update admob for this next release and then do revmob later, since that's a significant change.

Admob would be a great start. Thanks

@ForumNinja said:

@tatiang said:
    ... What @Two.E brings up is to me one of the most important aspects of the design of Creator/Web Creator: usability. Remembering settings (e.g. window size/location, which actor was last used, etc.) and shortening actions (why click 5 times when you can click twice?) would go so far to make this product better.

Agreed. Usability is one of the areas we're working to improve (can't wait for the ability to type to add behaviors like the Windows version).

Thats great to hear! I think seeing users opinions and wants moving into the final product is really exciting! Get users on board!

• celta15celta15 Member Posts: 19

@adent42 ¿Can you update Tapdaq sdk?

web: https://tapdaq.com/docs