State of GameSalad on 11-13-2017

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Still working on it. Gotta get the loading images update. I tried to upgrade our image loading process, but it wasn't cooperating, so I'm going back to a version of what we already have. Once I get that, we'll push another build.

• rico240rico240 Member, PRO Posts: 32

@adent42 awesome! thank you, appreciate what you do! i updated to Xcode 9.2 as well made sure its showed 8.0 when signing, so the only error appearing for me is ERROR ITMS-90503: "Invalid Bundle. Apps that have 'arm64' in the list of UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities in Info.plist must only contain the arm64 slice."

• dyoh777dyoh777 Member, PRO Posts: 27

please do roll back that'd be awesome for now

• gstaroxgstarox Member, PRO Posts: 3

I am also getting the arm64 error. Is there any fix? Or do we have to wait out for new gamesalad update?

• Any updates?
    Thank you

• KAJAMstudiosKAJAMstudios Member, PRO Posts: 27

Any updates? Thanks!

Hoping this is a quick fix. I had to tell a client about a important deadline that they requested, that now we have to wait in case this fix doesn't occur in time & now I may have lost them. Can someone please let us know when it's working and ok to try to sign again with no errors, or if you do end up doing a rollback the details, so we can publish apps again. After signing with 8.0 I only have the arm64 error the rest went away.

edited November 2017

One other thing for me now. I tried to digital sign again on the server and then this happened "Phone publishing requires the iPhone SDK. Ensure that you have the latest iPhone SDK installed" is this because of updating or is it something I did? If anyone has any suggestions... Update (I put the old 8.1 Xcode version back in the applications folder with 9.2) and that fixed

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

I got this when i upload my build to Apple, is that related to whats been talking about here lately?

Missing Info.plist value - A value for the Info.plist key 'CFBundleIconName' is missing in the bundle 'se.stackapile.fgamez'. Apps built with iOS 11 or later SDK must supply app icons in an asset catalog and must also provide a value for this Info.plist key.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited November 2017

Sorry for the delay. Working on iOS loading image stuff. Basically I think I have the loading image rotation all correct. You can now supply a landscape and a portrait image for both iOS and iPhone. Thanks @freneticz for the heads up.

To get these builds out quickly, we won't be testing with our own app uploads, so the more errors you guys report, the quicker we can address them.

Right now I have:

• iPhone X splash screen missing
    • CFBundleIconName needed for iOS11
    • UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities should not contain arm64
    • Target iOS 8 required for arm64

Export compliance (probably not gonna happen this next release, but shortly soon after).

The release should be ready later today and will also have Revmob SDK 10 included. I need to make some updates to publishing so you can include the landscape loading images, when required.

FYI, some of you might be seeing issues with the arm64 stuff because I only updated the binaries with ad support originally, not knowing about the new arm64 checks. This next release will include all iOS binaries.

• KAJAMstudiosKAJAMstudios Member, PRO Posts: 27

When do you think the release will be? Thanks!

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

Just recompile and I'm still getting the following upload errors for iTunes

Doing the build now. Once that's done, we'll start testing on our end. At the same time I'll be making updates to publishing to support the new landscape images and icon locations.

The current ios\iphone builds are broken so pushing to let us test asap may help us all (even if it's not the normal ideal internally tested process). The images will be nice, but completely broken publishing is a bigger issue\show stopper IMHO.

• ryanb4257ryanb4257 Member Posts: 24

I can confirm that the same issue occurs when publishing from Windows GameSalad as well as the Web Version before moving over to a Mac to try and download for an Ad Hoc test.

I understand that the image rotation stuff is important, but I believe that it is currently not possible to upload binaries properly because of the arm64 issue (at least not for me, as I can't ad hoc test it either and don't want to bother trying to submit), and in my opinion, that's a lot more important to fix. From what I can tell, though, the arm64 issue will be fixed with the next build.

Additionally, I'm wondering if the Windows version of GameSalad updates automatically? I don't recall updating to 1.25.6227.28368, but that's the version it's on, despite the fact that I originally downloaded GameSalad before 11/13. If it doesn't update automatically, how will I be able to download the build that is released with the fixed arm64 issue?

I'll be awaiting an update on this, I've already had to delay my update release by a few days. Looks like the arm64 issue is close to being resolved though, and hopefully the new build will be released soon.

I believe you already mentioned that you're doing this, but I would definitely agree with (and I think most would agree with) the staff not testing their own app uploads so that the build can get out quicker.

Okay... it's 4am and I've put out another build. Regenerate your app to get the benefits.

The arm64 issue is fixed, loading images are done, Revmob SDK 10 works.

iOS8 and above support both landscape and portrait loading screens. So you'll notice on your publishing page that the old smaller loading screen images are gone and you just have wide loading screens and ipad loading screens. Upload accordingly. The iPhone X loading screen is wider/taller than other iPhones, so what we're doing is resizing and cropping your image. So make sure to leave some safe zones around your loading images for important stuff.

Updates to app store submissions require your 1024x1024 marketing icon to be bundled in your app. So you'll want to set a 1024x1024 icon if you had a 512x512 one set previously.

Sooooo... what's the catch? CFBundleIconName needed for iOS11

Around iOS 8, Apple introduced the usage of Asset Catalogs for the app icons. Unfortunately, asset catalogs compile into proprietary format in the final binaries. This means we can't easily recompile them with YOUR loading icons on our servers. Without the ability to update the compiled Asset Catalog, your app is stuck with our default icon!

So tomorrow will be about getting the asset catalog compiled for you.

In the mean time, please test out your app. Test submit your apps without releasing them to see if all the other issues are fixed.

If you're impatient, you'll need to cobble something together based on these three item:

Use this tool to generate the Asset Catalog bundle: http://raphaelhanneken.github.io/iconizer/

Then use the information in this link to compile the Asset Catalog bundle into an Assets.car file
    https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/42719

Then download your app file and drop that Assets.car over the one in your app. Manually sign the app, possibly with this handy tool:
    https://dantheman827.github.io/ios-app-signer/

I'm so sorry, the result isn't better at this point, but as you can see, we're working hard to chip away at the problems.

Thanks for your patience! I'm gonna get some sleep now.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@adent42 said:
    Okay... it's 4am and I've put out another build. Regenerate your app to get the benefits.

The arm64 issue is fixed, loading images are done, Revmob SDK 10 works.

I'm so sorry, the result isn't better at this point, but as you can see, we're working hard to chip away at the problems.

Thanks for your patience! I'm gonna get some sleep now.

Thank you for your hard work!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523
    edited November 2017

This is the kind of engagement our community is dying for. Even though the news isn't always great, look at how well received this communication is.

I have no doubt it's challenging for @adent42 to not only do all of the work but then relay his progress report at each step...but someone needs to treat this responsibility as a priority.

PS—Thank you for the hard work and transparency!

edited November 2017

Oh another note. If your icons look fine, don't be fooled. Your device is probably not upgraded to iOS11, which means it falls back to the old icon system and everything looks great.... but if you're on iOS11, you'll see the future icon for the GameSalad Viewer showing as your icon.... so boo there.

At lease I didn't make the icon profanity laden....

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@adent42 said:

Like I always say. "Development is a thankless kick in the teeth"

That one was a bear to fix!!!!

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

Agreed! Thank you for your transparency and constant communication @adent42. The community very much appreciates it! :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@adent42 Awesome, thanks! Testing can recommence!

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568
    edited November 2017

@adent42 said:
    Oh another note. If your icons look fine, don't be fooled. Your device is probably not upgraded to iOS11, which means it falls back to the old icon system and everything looks great.... but if you're on iOS11, you'll see the future icon for the viewer showing as your icon.... so yay there.

At lease I didn't make the icon profanity laden....

iPad Mini First Gen(non-retina) / iOS 9.3.5 = Correct Icon, No Loading Image @adent42

iPad Pro 10.5 / iOS 11.1 = GameSalad Icon, Correct Loading Image

iPhone 6S / iOS 11.1.1 = Gamesalad Icon, Correct Loading Image

iPhone 5S / iOS 11.2 = Gamesalad Icon, Correct Loading Image

If anyone has iPhone X or iPhone Plus, please control the loading screen, maybe they are not aware of all the new problems.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

thanks again @adent42 - getting production up is very appreciated even with bandaids!

Thank you so much @adent42!! Quick question, how do we regenerate our our app?

@ryanb4257 just hit "Generate" again on the publishing page for your app!

FYI spent most of the day waiting for stuff to compile. Then waiting for it to compile 2 more times. I'll have more news tonight, hopefully. But first. dinner.

Well, finish waiting for Xcode to download. Then upload it to the server. THEN dinner.

edited November 2017

EDIT: had posted a question about the icon but just saw the notice at the top of the publishing portal that it won't display properly (and I also scrolled up in the thread). This means that it won't display properly on iOS 11 if submitted and released, right?

• megumimegumi Member, PRO Posts: 14

Hi, submitted my app to iTunes without any errors, but then I noticed the icon showing for the app at iTunes is the Gamesalad icon. This is the only error that I am experiencing at the moment. Thanks Gamesalad for fixing the other arm64 errors and I hope this latest error can also be resolved soon.