A Letter from the CEO

Comments

• t.wheelert.wheeler Member Posts: 6
    Thank alot for the letter!! Can't wait to get GS pro now!! However, one thing I was wandering about is the GS loading wheel, as I don't think this gives games a great look and feel for users. Would be great for custom loading!! Also, 3D????? Will it happen? Finally what about an easier to use enemy rule. For example when you have to make a lot of attributes for multiple enemies which have an arm which is snapped to a body and rotates to fire? Could we not have an easier way to do this?? But can't wait for new features and still believe gamesalad is the best easy 2D gameengine! Many thanks! Tom
  • Stryfe01Stryfe01 Member Posts: 146
    Sounds great. I am really glad that you posted this. It makes a huge difference knowing that your onboard. However, now that you have made this post, we will be even more disappointed if you do not deliver. I love GS and really hope for it to grow with me as a developer.
  • eccentrismeccentrism Member Posts: 4
    SWEET! Good to hear! That was the one thing I was on the fence with about GameSalad. Now I can start my game full force. Of course I will still dream of leader boards...
  • vectorcharacterscomvectorcharacterscom Member Posts: 14
    I'm going to buy professional membership! Thank you!
  • andrekadowandrekadow Member Posts: 29
    Hello there! I'm a pro user but my custon splash screen still popping the old one "Feed your inner game designer" even when I uploaded an image (publish > advanced options). Any ideas?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    andrekadow said:
    Hello there! I'm a pro user but my custon splash screen still popping the old one "Feed your inner game designer" even when I uploaded an image (publish > advanced options). Any ideas?

Is this for iphone/ipad publishing or Mac publishing?

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

iphone
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Please Tell us an estimate release of GameCenter!
    I need to Plan my next game release!
    @andrekadow - Have you activated your account withing GameSalad itself?

If you have, then I'd contact the gamesalad team about your issue.

Cheers,

Yes,

version 0.9.2 beta
    license: pro
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    calvin9403 said:
    how about IAP lol

I actually do not like in-app purchases. I think if someone buys a copy of the game, it should be respected. If there are going to be updates, it should enhance the app — not turn it into a virtual shop. As an example, Rovio mucked up Angry Birds with a bunch of promotions. 15 mediocre levels wasn't enough for me to keep the update on my iPhone — DELETE!
    calvin9403 said:
    3D, IAP, arrays,.....

If I wanted to make 3D games, I'd probably be using unity. I think vector artwork would be more suited to GameSalad.

Arrays, I've been able to work around that limitation.

I think AdMob as an alternative to iAds would make sense. If there are no iAds to display, AdMob should be displayed. This would also be helpful in building cross-platform games. I don't like Android, but it is popular.

There are lots of simple behaviors / device attributes that should be added...

• Device Time
    • Vibrate (Special effects for things like collisions.)
    • Camera Flash (Special effects for explosions.)
    • Camera
    • Better Stereo Sound
    (Positional Sound relative to screen center. Camera origin + 1/2 screen size/)
    • UIWebView
    • Web Database access for building MMORPGs
    • Networking, for building online games

All of those are great additions for GameSalad. Some are really easy to add. Yet, I don't feel a sense of urgency like with basic Game Center support or eliminating the splash screen.

I'm building BOT. It's an awesome game. It's as if I have a team of people working on this project, but it's just me. With GameSalad I'll soon be able to launch an awesome game to two solid operating systems... iOS and Mac OS X.

There's no need for me to complain right now. The GameSalad team listened and the software is moving in the right direction. The only thing standing between me and success is me. I have to work harder... and that's what I'm planning to do!
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    While I would like all of those things, some of them bring up cross-device compatibility issues.

For example,

No iPods except the 4th gen can vibrate.
    No iPods except the 4th gen have a camera.
    The iPhone does not have stereo sound. Only iPods do.
    firemaplegames said:
    While I would like all of those things, some of them bring up cross-device compatibility issues.

For example,

No iPods except the 4th gen can vibrate.
    No iPods except the 4th gen have a camera.

If gaming only focused on what the current generation supports, there wouldn't be things like the Rumble Pack for the Nintendo 64 controller or the return of the DualShock to the Playstation 3.

If I was running GameSalad, I'd basically put this list...
    http://developer.anscamobile.com/resources/apis/
    ...on the wall somewhere.

Then there would be some sort of incentive for every checkmark next to an API that the competitors support.
    firemaplegames said:
    The iPhone does not have stereo sound. Only iPods do.

Most iPhones have a functioning headphone jack for stereo sound.
    Photics said:
    I actually do not like in-app purchases. I think if someone buys a copy of the game, it should be respected. If there are going to be updates, it should enhance the app — not turn it into a virtual shop.

Right now, I couldn't agree more with you there. There are perhaps opportunities to give shortcuts to those that want them, or cosmetic stuff that doesn't affect gameplay. But to essentially force the player to spend money to continue playing is a massive mistake I think.
    Photics said:
    If gaming only focused on what the current generation supports, there wouldn't be things like the Rumble Pack for the Nintendo 64 controller or the return of the DualShock to the Playstation 3.

That's an awful example. The rumble feature you mention isn't necessary to play a game. If you didn't have a rumble pack, you could still play Mario 64, for example.

If you included camera functionality into a game, for example, it would actually exclude people who didn't have cameras on the ipods. You're asking for features that would sell to *less* people.

quantumsheep said:
    But to essentially force the player to spend money to continue playing is a massive mistake I think.

I think in-app purchases work for "lite" versions, so people can upgrade the game. Cheat codes, like the Mighty Eagle, is also a nice addition... as long as the developer doesn't obnoxious about it. I don't think in-app purchases are necessary though, which is why I don't make a big issue out of it.

Basically, it falls into the category of... "Hey, your competitors offer it. You should too!"
    quantumsheep said:
    That's an awful example. The rumble feature you mention isn't necessary to play a game. If you didn't have a rumble pack, you could still play Mario 64, for example.

Mario 64 didn't support the rumble pack...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_Pak
    quantumsheep said:
    If you included camera functionality into a game, for example, it would actually exclude people who didn't have cameras on the ipods. You're asking for features that would sell to *less* people.

Here's why the rumble pack is an excellent example... not every iPhone or iPod touch supports Retina Display, but people look for that feature. GameSalad supports it. Not every player uses Game Center either, but lots players still look for that feature. The Rumble Pack gave Nintendo 64 owners something to get excited about. It eventually became a standard function in gaming.

So, if GameSalad supports Retina Display, and it's adding Game Center, the standard should not be, "but some iOS devices lack that feature."

Including something like a rumble feature doesn't ruin backwards compatibility. So, it's a great thing to add. Especially since it should take a good programmer a few hours to add that feature. The more options developers have, the more creative they can be.

Not every meal needs salt, but a chef usually has it ready for the meals that do.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Photics said:
    as long as the developer doesn't obnoxious about it.

Lol blasting on about BOT every 2 seconds as being amazing may seem a little obnoxious to some :P

Ace
    mynameisace said:
    Lol blasting on about BOT every 2 seconds as being amazing may seem a little obnoxious to some :P

Heh, but when BOT is released, there will be no advertisements in it :)

I thought about creating a link to The Unofficial Gamesalad Textbook, creating a Sega Genesis style "Photics" splash screen and even creating a gift link. This game is too good for that. Players hate splash screens, advertisements and other things that take away from the game.
  • jsaligerijsaligeri Member Posts: 26
    Interesting post

JS
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    @photics,
    I want IAP because I want to do this, since hack iphone apps is so easy now, I want to male my game free.
    Once people download, they will only get one button(download the app), so hackers can't get my game for free.
    But maybe Apple won't allow one button, maybe I need to put some thing to my game at least.

Don't you guys wonder why Gameloft's game is now free? because their game got hack too much, and they want the user to buy via IAP

Calvin
    I think the free app to paid app — via an in-app purchase — is a good strategy.
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    mynameisace said:

Ace

Am looking forward to seeing something from it, pics or video would be good.
    Photics said:
    I think the free app to paid app — via an in-app purchase — is a good strategy.

yep
    calvin9403 said:
    yep

I think in-app purchases for expansion packs, are also acceptable. BOT may have this. Here's a good standard... you don't take away content and then charge for it later. I'm planning to have 35 explorable areas. I'm not going to get lazy, take away 15 areas, make people pay for the first 20, and then again for the next 15. The in-app purchase shouldn't be in your face about it either.
    Photics said:
    I think in-app purchases for expansion packs, are also acceptable. BOT may have this. Here's a good standard... you don't take away content and then charge for it later. I'm planning to have 35 explorable areas. I'm not going to get lazy, take away 15 areas, make people pay for the first 20, and then again for the next 15. The in-app purchase shouldn't be in your face about it either.

ya IAP should be something more like that

also photics, what do you think will come first, GC or IAP

Calvin
    calvin9403 said:
    also photics, what do you think will come first, GC or IAP

Well, according to the first post in this thread, it looks like Game Center is next. If GameSalad wants to stay competitive with Corona, in-app purchases should also be in the next update. That wasn't mentioned in the announcement though, so it seems unlikely.
  • jsaligerijsaligeri Member Posts: 26
    The Secret of Grisly Manor is number 12th paid app on the Amazon App Store.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/mobile-apps/

Most likely done with the sdk that we can't mention?

JS
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    Thanks to GS mind change, I'm working in a addvergame for a mobile company here in Brazil!:-)
    they have an apple developer account, how is the easy way to publish under their name?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Riffel said:
    Thanks to GS mind change, I'm working in a addvergame for a mobile company here in Brazil!:-)
    they have an apple developer account, how is the easy way to publish under their name?

You can publish under there name if you have the certificates and profiles installed.

So uh anyone actually seen Steve Felter on the forum since this post? I'd have to go reread to double check but I swear he said he was going to be active on the forum. Its almost like that plan has fallen through. Also whats up with the RoadMap. We have still never seen one. I personally don't consider "we are shooting for Game Center next" as a full road map. and hey a few weeks have past whats the outlook on GameCenter?
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    I PMd Yoda about a road map a while back and never got a response, and I haven't seen Steve on the forums since his first post. But that's somewhat understandable due to the fact he has a business to run, but the road map should have been here by now IMO.

- Alex
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Yeah, I wouldn't give steve too hard a time.
    He may well have intentions of being on here a lot....but being the new CEO of a growing business, probably doesn't give him much time to do that.

A roadmap would be awesome...and it feels like we have been asking for it for aaaaaaaaages now.....but the usual GS silence has kicked in....nothing new there.

Would be nice to have at least a ball-part figure for new version though.
    weeks....months......2012?
This discussion has been closed.