SUMMER 2011 - THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX 3 • (RESULTS ON PAGE 6)

Comments

• FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    Great!

Can I use my whales? (Which I have drawn before) if the game code is all new?

Here's another question - can we begin with the "Game Center" Template?

Because it doesn't actually have game action inside, just scoreboard things, right?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Well I took some time this morning to look through all of the current threads and I must say theres some pretty sweet ideas and Game Already coming together it looks Like. I Love that there are so many people taking part. I hope everyone gets something submitted in the end.
  • LykkeLykke Member Posts: 174
    Hm not sure I can make it in time - but started anyway just for the fun of it :P

My thread can be followed here:

Wally the Whale

Sorry if I took anyone's whale idea lol - this one has not been created before though so brand new and perky ... May the best whale win :P

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    @Lykke

It would be preferred you log your progress in a thread on this site in the Think Outside the Box category. I highly doubt the judges are going to be watching a thread on a different site. Also your final submission will have to be submitted here anyway. It may leave you at a disadvantage to all of the other Games we have seen from start to finish.

Good Luck
  • LykkeLykke Member Posts: 174
    tenrdrmer said:
    @Lykke

It would be preferred you log your progress in a thread on this site in the Think Outside the Box category. I highly doubt the judges are going to be watching a thread on a different site. Also your final submission will have to be submitted here anyway. It may leave you at a disadvantage to all of the other Games we have seen from start to finish.

Good Luck

I will if I believe the progress is good enough :) Thanks for the concern.

Lykke

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    All seems to be going well..
    29 TOTB game threads... takes alot of reading to browse them all..but some great stuff in there already.

Hopefully Yoda will stop them turning up in the 'recent posts' section soon to help keep the main forum tidy...
  • JoeMeisterJoeMeister Member Posts: 602
    Like to enter my game. I think its a perfect fit.
    Mermaid Pinball takes place in the Ocean with
    animated Sea Creatures and of course a Mermaid.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mermaid-pinball/id443909583?mt=8

JoeMeister said:
    Like to enter my game. I think its a perfect fit.
    Mermaid Pinball takes place in the Ocean with
    animated Sea Creatures and of course a Mermaid.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mermaid-pinball/id443909583?mt=8

Sorry Joe... the game needs to be made during the contest... feel free to make something new...
  • 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    We can't use templates, but does that mean all templates or just the unofficial ones that don't come with GS?
    @11 o'clock.... the idea is to create something original so all template are out. Obviously you can learn loads from templates. The rule exists to stop competitors just using an existing game template and changing the graphics to match the theme.
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    @Everyone;

I know I was one of the most excited ones about this contest but afterall I may not be contributing this time :(

I was on a nice long holiday when this started and I took things slow. But some work came up and I'm far behind my schedule. Haven't even completed the basic game mechanics...

I'll just try to simplify and send the game anyways..

I hope everyone else is doing good with their projects. You've just lose a serious competitor! :D
  • ccpccp Member Posts: 139
    Hello...I have a quick question. Are our videos to be submitted with all our game detail on the 2nd or the 9th of July?

On the Official thread, it says the 9th.
    "You must submit a video of gameplay (plus short description of why it is 'Outside the Box') to this official thread before 12pm (noon) GMT on the 9th of July."

But in the rules, it says the 2nd.

Thanks in Advance!
    "You must submit a video of gameplay to the official thread before the end of the competition by 12pm (noon) GMT on the 2nd of July."
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Hopefully not too many people will bail out of this one.

I'll try to get something done, but I'm not sure yet either if I'll be able to make it with all my other projects but I'll do my best :S
    @coffee chuggers.... the contest finishes on the 9th.... (I thought I'd fixed the mistake in the rules).... I'll fix it....

Edit: Fixed it.... you may need to clear you cache/temporary internet files to see the updated page... in safari: press: safari / empty cache
  • ccpccp Member Posts: 139
    Ok...Sweet Thanks!
    I'm going to be gone all this week, and thought I might have to turn in my game before I went!
    Lol...then i'd have no chance of winning. :)

By the way...To submit a my app, I just set up a post right here with a youtube link, and I add all the game detail with it. And if I want to send in the game file, then I email it to jon@stormystudio.com. Is that all right?
    Why would one send in his/her game file anyways?
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    Is it just me or does there seem to be some confusion about having to do your own artwork for the game? The rules say you must own rights to your artwork for the game, yet at the same time it says no teams. So that means you need to do your own artwork right?
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    GamersRejoice said:
    Is it just me or does there seem to be some confusion about having to do your own artwork for the game? The rules say you must own rights to your artwork for the game, yet at the same time it says no teams. So that means you need to do your own artwork right?

I think that is the case. I don't think you will get marks for art if you use something outside the guidelines, and I suspect it might well go against you.
    @GamersRejoice... it is a bit confusing your right...

In the build up to the contest it was discussed, it was agreed that teams are not allowed, but at the same time disucussion on the forum agreed it would be ok to use 'paid for' and 'free stock' images. As it allows users with less graphics skills to produce something that looks ok. Though personally I think a game with custom made graphics will always shine through.
    Maybe next time we'll say no to stock images completely...(but then stock photos for textures and bits are useful in making your own images...)
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    stormystudio said:
    @GamersRejoice... it is a bit confusing your right...

In the build up to the contest it was discussed, it was agreed that teams are not allowed, but at the same time disucussion on the forum agreed it would be ok to use 'paid for' and 'free stock' images. As it allows users with less graphics skills to produce something that looks ok. Though personally I think a game with custom made graphics will always shine through.
    Maybe next time we'll say no to stock images completely...(but then stock photos for textures and bits are useful in making your own images...)

I don't really think stock photos are the problem. The contradiction in the rules are:

No teams are allowed, yet you can hire someone to do artwork. I don't see the difference there. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm having a great time with this contest.
    don't worry Gamersrejoice not taking it the wrong way... its constructive conversation...

Not sure where in the rules it says you can pay some one to do the work??? you can buy paid for stock from a site.
    Yeah I also think it was implied when we discussed this that you could not hire out any part of your project. not just art work. The idea is one person completing a unique project. How is hiring it out any different than having a team. It's not in the aspect of multiple people working on the project. It is in the aspect it mean all the prizes are yours if you win.

Your right it is a little confusing and but the reason we decided to allow stock art or free art is some people like my self have 0 art skills. and I mean they suck. So for a fast contest we have to have art it takes time to create art and it takes time to find the usable free stuff or the paid stock art. So as long as its all the same person doing the game and searching for art or creating art theres not much difference. Really the person searching for art is going to probably spend more time looking that the persona creating their own custom art. I have so much trouble finding useful artwork to use from those free sites anyway. so they art probably still at a disadvantage. But lucky the way the scoring is setup you cant still have a high score with no art. so hopefully the art will not win the contest.
    5 days left! I hope I finish my game in time!
    4 days left... Whoop Whoop!
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    oh my goodness!!! we need more hours in a day...
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    Yip Yip! The coffee is ordered and my own supply is getting low. Back to animation...

kipper
    Just to make it clear...

We only have to submit a description and a video footage and not the actual game itself, right?
  • CircleTimeCircleTime Member Posts: 84

Game copy:

Introducing Chomp!
    Eat fish - Good!
    Avoid jellyfish - Bad!

Multi-touch pinching action opens and closes Chomp’s jaws. Open mouth to let fish in. Shut mouth to keep jellyfish out. Catch up to three fish in mouth before closing and swallowing. More fish swallowed at once = more points. How many fish can you eat?

Rational:

Chomp takes multi-touch pinching to the extreme. My out of the box goal was to create a game that generally couldn’t be produced before the iPhone era. Arguably, the iPhone gave mainstream exposure to multi-touch. Therefore, I used a multi-touch pinching interface as the foundation for Chomp. My hope is Chomp will do for multi-touch pinching what Fruit Ninja did for swiping. Enjoy!
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    CircleTime
    Introducing Chomp!

Nice !!
    11clock said:
    Just to make it clear...

We only have to submit a description and a video footage and not the actual game itself, right?

Yes that is correct. It would be good to add kind of a sales pitch on what makes your Game Outside the box Separate from the Game Description. This is to help point us in the right direction so we don't miss something that maybe you though was what sets it apart.
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    Can we upload it to GS Arcade for you guys to play? Or should we make Ad hocs...