SUMMER 2011 - THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX 3 • (RESULTS ON PAGE 6)

Comments

• RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Ocean Blocks

Whilst this isn't the official name it's what I've been saving it as so it'll have to do!

Why is it outside the box?

Instead of controlling the character as you would in any other game I've decided to create a game in which the user controls the landscape (blocks) to create a path character. The player can pause the game and place blocks around the character whilst the character moves and jumps automatically. The types of blocks are all covered in the video.

The video doesn't display the use of portals that well but the idea is you can place down a home portal and a reset portal. When you go through the reset portal the game will revert to how it was when you placed the home portal, blocks that you have placed will be gone and the character will move back. I think this adds to the re-playability and encourages the player to try and do better/ gives them the ability to go back is they mess up.

Whilst I thought about hitting the theme head on I've decided to think around that as well and, whilst still ocean based, the graphics don't instantly reflect that. You'll need to read the description in the video to understand the ocean theme.

As there is clearly some amazing art above me I feel that it is necessary to explain that the art I have used is by choice. I wanted the clean, simple look and the graphics needed to look washed away.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Times up :-)
    Got in there by 21 seconds :)
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    Oops I thought I had another hour. Never got the hang of GMT to CET.

Stormy,
    Can I post some screenshots to show the resolution, because the video is so blurry...

Cheers all, may the best game win. I saw some great stuff!
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    Bah! My internet is horribly slow today... guess I didn't get my video on here in time? It's uploading to Youtube right now but has a ridiculous 25 minutes remaining for a 5mb video. Grr!

EDIT: ...and it messed up again. Since I had this video ready an hour ago can I still get it entered when it finally uploads to YouTube? My internet is crap right now.
    LudwigHeijden said:
    Oops I thought I had another hour. Never got the hang of GMT to CET.

Stormy,
    Can I post some screenshots to show the resolution, because the video is so blurry...

Cheers all, may the best game win. I saw some great stuff!

Technically you do... hand in is 12pm GMT and it's currently 11:26 GMT 12:26 BST.

I guess if you converted from CET to GMT then you should really be allowed another 30 mins.
    Well, I'm not sure if this is disqualified or not, but I figure I'll share anyways :)

My game is called Glowing Depths. It is a metroidvania style game, but with a very unique feel. It has a surreal quality and a minimalistic design for the HUD so there's no distractions from being sunk into the environment. Health is indicated by the amount of light you have and controls are touch anywhere to bring up analog type controls. Fish can attack you and your defense is a light blast. You can dash and eat shrimp to heal yourself. I think this game has unique art, which is authentic watercolor art which has been scanned in. Also the minimalistic HUD gives it an immersive feeling that most games don't have. Hope you all like it!

RH said:
    Technically you do... hand in is 12pm GMT and it's currently 11:26 GMT 12:26 BST.

I guess if you converted from CET to GMT then you should really be allowed another 30 mins.

Yeah MDT where Im at is the same thing.
  • DoManDoMan Member Posts: 102
    How do we get to play these games we see here? They look like so much fun! It would suck if the only people getting to play them are the judges.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    just so the judges know, I couldn't complete my game as I had other projects to work on an a hired project I had to get out of the way. I will find some time eventually to finish the game, but once again, I lost time. I had gone on vacation as well which killed time. But hey, excuses are excuses. Congratulations to everyone that got close to finishing their game. Great work!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    DoMan said:
    How do we get to play these games we see here? They look like so much fun! It would suck if the only people getting to play them are the judges.

You will get to play them when they complete and publish them to the app store. THe judges are not playing them either. Judging based of the videos and description.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Wow Looks like 15-16 final entries. Thats pretty sweet.
    @CrazyBreadMan. Don't know what the ruling will be Stormy Got a lot of flak the last go round for allowing people to submit after the deadline. Thats the risk you run with working to the Deadline I guess. :(
  • 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    Good luck to everyone with the competition! There are a lot of games that I may have difficulty beating, but at least I made a new app! :D
    Hmm, I noticed that a lot of these games are based on the beach rather than the ocean. Beach != Ocean. Hopefully this won't be a problem for the beach games.
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    DreamLab said:
    just so the judges know, I couldn't complete my game as I had other projects to work on an a hired project I had to get out of the way. I will find some time eventually to finish the game, but once again, I lost time. I had gone on vacation as well which killed time. But hey, excuses are excuses. Congratulations to everyone that got close to finishing their game. Great work!

The same can be said for me. I have been very busy lately, I can't think of a better excuse than that, but I will try to get as much work done on my game just to show you guys what it would've been like.

I've watched most of these videos, and I must say-job well done to all of you! Good Luck!
  • TeamLava8TeamLava8 Member, BASIC Posts: 294
    Well played everyone! Really fantastic stuff! Here's to a lack of sleep.

Jason

Making the world better one pixel at a time!

My Website
    Over 70 AWESOME Gamesalad Templates by me!
    HIRE ME!

• JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    DreamLab said:

Your app was looking really good! I hope you get a chance to finish it as i really want to play it;)

Anyways well done everyone, even the ones who didn't get a chance to finish. Best of luck to everybody!

Also, when is the winners announced ?
    Are they going to post the list of entries?
  • ccpccp Member Posts: 139
    ShipSink is a Pirate game like no other. From Sinking ships to escaping the British Navy, this game is full of adventuress tasks! You are a Pirate on a deadly voyage through the Caribbean. Every Pirate has a secret wish to someday become a Captain of his very own ship. This is your chance! You must complete six deadly tasks in which you will prove yourself worthy. In order to achieve these tasks, one must have enough ammunition and health. You can obtain these items by purchasing them with gold coins. For a Pirate, gaining coins can be an easy task. Whether sinking ships or shooting targets, you will find coins filling your inventory at a steady pace. You also get the option of purchasing a Lottery ticket in which you can double, triple, or even quintuple your coins! Throughout this voyage you will find yourself above deck, bellow deck, defending your hideout, facing one-on-one combats, fighting day or night, rain or shine. Are you brave enough to fulfill these deadly tasks in order to achieve Captainship?

Move the canon by tiling your devise. Tap the center of the screen to shoot.

Screen Shots:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14411326/ShipSink/FrontScreen.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14411326/ShipSink/Gameimage.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14411326/ShipSink/Shop.png

P.S. I thought that the contest ended at 12:00 on the 9'th...It is 11:00 on the 9'th here. I guess I should have looked into time zones. I'm sorry, and If i'm disqualified, I understand Why. :(

Good Luck to everyone else!
    Amazing work guys/gals

I'll put together a list of final entries later on... (currently feeding my daughter some mashed up ravioli....)

I need to double check but I think I said to the judges they have up to 2 weeks to get their votes in, this way if any judges disappear of the face of the earth we are not left in limbo....

Sorry to those that missed the deadline... but due to the 'up roar' last time round when I let a few late entrants in, I'm afraid you don't get in this time.

Good luck to everyone...

Cheers

Jon
    www.stormystudio.com
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    RH and Ludwin, loving it guys.
    DoMan said:

I posted mine to the Gamesalad Arcade for people to play and help debug.
    LINK TO GAME
  • OaklandasfanOaklandasfan Member Posts: 213
    Too bad, cause when I posted where I am it was 1:00 AM, and I was REALLY tired. I was also really stressed. Well, there's always TOTB4! Just for fun, I'll finish my game today and post it here.
    EDIT: I don't think I had a winner in any of the categories. I looked at all of the trailers, and I would say I could only beat one of them (don't want to say which one.) But for story, I think mine was the most "Outside The Box"
  • ccpccp Member Posts: 139
    Hey Stormystudio,
    Can you please consider sending in entries within 5 hours of the dead line? We worked so hard on our projects, and would hate to not be entered because of the time zone issue!

Can you please make a poll where only those on time are allowed to vote? A poll that states whether late entries 5 hours above the deadline are accepted.

I for one would have got mine in by 7:00 if I knew about the time zone problem.

Thanks for considering!
    CCP
  • jobonoobdudejobonoobdude Member Posts: 152
    Well, I am lame and didn't finish, so I'm not gonna post anything of significance to save myself the shame of being lame. Well theres always TOTB4, hope I'll do better there.

And I know who's gonna win :)

jobo out
    Ok, taken ages, sorry if I've messed up anyones text. (let me know if you spot any thing)..but here is the link to the the all the final entries in one page....

http://www.stormystudio.com/totb3_entries.html

I'll start chasing the judges for results over the next few days...

Congrats to everyone who got a project entered into the contest ...and good luck.
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    Thanks again stormy!!! Had a blast. Thank you GS
  • kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Theres some amazing games, great job everyone!
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    outasite said:
    Thanks again stormy!!! Had a blast. Thank you GS

+1
  • JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    LudwigHeijden said:
    +1

+1

lol
    Won't have Internet until thursday pls wait for me if I win anything