GameSalad 0.9.5 – HTML5 Game Creation for Everyone

SFSF Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 35
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce a new chapter in GameSalad's story, as we finally take the wraps off the highly anticipated Project Masala. Over the past three years, we set out to bring the tools of game creation to everyone. Now we embark on a new mission to share those games with people all over the world, across multiple platforms, and on all devices. The first step in that journey starts with the launch of the new GameSalad Arcade powered by HTML5.

Publishing to HTML5 via GameSalad Arcade will replace our current web publishing option, and is available starting today! By harnessing the power of an emergent technology like HTML5, GameSalad developers will have a distinct advantage in reaching a wider audience than any other development platform. Needless to say, we are very excited to put the GameSalad community at the forefront of such a disruptive technology.

So why do we think GameSalad Arcade and HTML5 publishing are such a big deal?

Massive Distribution: GameSalad developers can now reach a potential audience of over a billion people using a web browser, larger than any console or device.

Embedding Capabilities: Games published to GameSalad Arcade can be embedded and shared on other websites, just like a YouTube video. By simply cutting and pasting a single line of HTML, anyone can post games on blogs, forum threads, and just about anywhere HTML is accepted.

Social Integration: HTML5 games can be easily shared on Facebook and Twitter via GameSalad Arcade, as well as within the embedded player.

Better Discovery: No downloads or third-party plug-ins are required to play HTML5 games, reducing the overall friction in game discovery.

To sum it up, we think your potential audience just got a whole lot bigger.

Besides being incredibly cool technology that I'm sure everyone can't wait to play with, we also believe there's a big financial opportunity in HTML5 games. We're working on a number of monetization solutions for our HTML5 games and we'll be rolling those out in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

Until then, we've made it very easy for developers to utilize GameSalad Arcade as an added marketing tool to promote iOS titles. If you publish a full or demo version of your game to GameSalad Arcade, you'll also have the ability to add App Store links to help generate sales for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac versions.

Longer term, I'm sure many of you have heard about the big plans that Facebook has for HTML5, as well as many of the other tech industry giants. We're excited to be a part of the next generation of distribution platforms and we think GameSalad developers will benefit greatly from green field opportunities in these emerging, but potentially enormous markets.

Another thing I'd like to discuss is the current state of HTML5 as a development platform. We've been playing around with HTML5 games for some time, and it wasn't until recently that we felt HTML5 was ready for primetime. That said, it certainly has its quirks and limitations, but we are highly encouraged by the pace of innovation coming from the browser makers to address these known issues.

Of course, any new platform means new methods for developing and optimization. To help with that process, our own internal game team, lead by Billy Garretsen, has prepared a series of text-based and video tutorials. These tutorials can be found on our GameSalad Cookbook site on YouTube, as well as on our Blog and in the Community Forums.

Lastly, I'd like to give a big pat on the back to all of the GameSalad team that worked countless nights helping to produce this labor of love. We're excited to finally get this in your hands and can’t wait to see what you all will do with it!

Cheers,

Steve

Comments

• joshcaljoshcal Member Posts: 100
    WOW! :D just woke up to this. made my week! woo! soo cool! haha
    -Josh
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    HTML 5... who would have guess that?!

...but is this just like YouTube for games? Do the games have to be hosted on GameSalad.com?
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    That's great news thanks!

With that we could put playable demos on our sites without forcing the user to install plugins. Moreover it will work also on Windows, right?

Well done.

Photics said:
    HTML 5... who would have guess that?!

Hey Photics .... hat's off to you for guessing correct! Still on the fence over whether this helps anyone $ wise ... promotionally it helps but now instead of buying some games I'll be just playing them online for free I guess?!?!?

Great job to the GS team however as it looks like a solid feature and a great way to get our games out there.
  • netojosenetojose Member Posts: 67
    1. ok... what about Apple Store, are we still able to use GS to publish for it?

2. are our templates still functioning?

3. does this means we can publish games at Android Market?

Sorry but I will not be able to use GS until the end of the day.
    Web preview broken... doesn't work at all... just hangs... how does testing miss something like that? I found a huge bug in like two seconds.
  • FogelbergFogelberg Member Posts: 103
    As I suspected. :)
    Very good news indeed. HTML 5 is the future.
    please, let me know if I will be able to submit games to Apple Market.
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    OMG
    simo103 said:
    Hey Photics .... hat's off to you for guessing correct! Still on the fence over whether this helps anyone $ wise ...

Well... to be accurate, I thought it was HTML 5 for game creation... not game posting. This is a step in the wrong direction. It side-steps Apple's walled garden, which reduces the value of apps... which means dot-com crash 2.0.

Advertisements don't work. I thought we learned that in the 90's.

The smart way to use this is to post a "lite" version of your game, where players can then buy the full one... or use it as a promotional tool. Yet, I think this is just promotion for GameSalad.com... I don't want my games on this website. That means I work for GameSalad and I'm paying them for the privilege.
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Can we only use 480x320 to publish to the gamesalad arcade?
    tshirtbooth said:
    it worked when i tested it!. let me download the release and test it there.

To be fair, my game is huge. Was any testing done with a 75.1 MB project file? Perhaps there should be a limit on web games. I noticed the project size text was in yellow text. Is that a warning color... or is that just the new color?
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    Wow GS, looks like you did an amazing job with this! I'm already on level 10 of Zombie Drop :P
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    Make iPad or Windows support for GS Creator, and i will stop watching at GS competitors.
    (And buy iPad or Windows tablet :) )
    ...and why does the website have to be so purple?
  • SFSF Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 35
    @Photics

We're looking into the Web Preview right now. Testing on it has been fine all week and worked last night during our last pass in QA. Still, we're looking into it again.

Also, GameSalad Arcade is only the first step in the HTML5 push. We've also got some incredible monetization options coming down the road. And it's not adverts. We know those don't work so well ;)

@RH

Currently, GameSalad Arcade only supports 480 x 320. We're looking to expand that in a coming update.

--Yodapollo
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @Photics

We're looking into the Web Preview right now. Testing on it has been fine all week and worked last night during our last pass in QA. Still, we're looking into it again.

Also, GameSalad Arcade is only the first step in the HTML5 push. We've also got some incredible monetization options coming down the road. And it's not adverts. We know those don't work so well ;)

@RH

Currently, GameSalad Arcade only supports 480 x 320. We're looking to expand that in a coming update.

@Photics

In terms of file size, we recommend keeping files under 20MB for optimized performance, but we'll support games on GameSalad Arcade up to 150MB.

--Yodapollo
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Web preview worked for me also. However it broke some rules that worked before on the preview and on the Viewer.

By the way this made me laugh:

Yodapollo said:

Glad to hear that :)
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    Isn't Arcade 2.0 on the roadmap?
    Cool, thanks! Nice job.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Photics said:
    Well... to be accurate, I thought it was HTML 5 for game creation... not game posting. This is a step in the wrong direction.

If your game is already popular in one format/place, I reckon it will do well on the app store. Canabalt was free to play online. And the exact same version did well on itunes. Plants vs zombies was popular on PC first and then did well on the app store.

As long as you can get a game to play well online, this could be very useful.

I played the games that are on GS arcade. I'm on a macbook with safari and a good internet connection. Unfortunately the games ran horribly. Unplayable. Will try on windows XP with IE later. I guess that means (for the moment) we should think of html 5 games like a 1st or 2nd gen iphone when we are optimising it? So not too many moving object on screen at once and small images - careful not to have a high RAM usage.

As the both the browsers and GS get better this should improve though. Would be great if GS became good at handling RAM usage so our games don't stress the devices as much as they do currently.

So will people be able to post your playable game directly into their facebook profile page? If so, that's great!
    Yodapollo said:
    And it's not adverts. We know those don't work so well ;)

Ha, OK... good... but the purple problem seems to have gotten worse. Now it's creeping into forum text.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Oh and on a sidenote, you no longer need to look for the Joystick control template.

There is now the:
    Official Cross-Platform Controller Template

which can be found in the GameSalad Templates. HTML5 ready now.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @Basseman

My guess is that it's just server lag right now. We're having an incredible response to people wanting to play the games and servers are chugging a bit. If you completed the publishing flow and got the fireworks at the end, it should be live shortly.

--Yodapollo
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    tshirtbooth said:
    Hey there Guys,

Gamesalad contacted me this week and told me they had an exciting opportunity.
    In on of the next few versions of gamesalad you will be able to upload to the google Chrome app store as a Paid for Free game.

This uses openGL i think. Because of that we get much larger pay area.

Anyways today google will be featuring Zombie Drop and The Secret of Grisly Manor in the Chrome store.

If your on Chrome here is the chrome link

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mhmhllfgcoopjdmcmdeobhgimokcabmc

if your NOT in chrome then here is a direct link.

http://gsa-press.gamesalad.com/9c19a3bb-60a7-461a-80b2-c42ae25f58ad/chrome2.htm

check it outs its amzing.

And I'm not 100% sure but i think pro members will have non game salad background screens.

cheers

Doesn't work well. First a was watching on Banana apps screen for 2 minutes, then on main screen for about 2 minutes. 1 minute to load first level....
    Hi TSB,

I am not at all familiar with google Chrome app store. But publishing there means access to android-based phones?

Thanks,

Jose
    imGua said:
    Doesn't work well. First a was watching on Banana apps screen for 2 minutes, then on main screen for about 2 minutes. 1 minute to load first level....

It worked fine for me!
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Ok, had another play of the games currently on GS arcade. They played smoother this time. Is that a GS server issue?

If so, I hope you have plans to buy some big chunky servers to make sure all these games can be played properly! I hear they're cheap in greenland/iceland because there are no temperature regulation costs - the natural cold does the trick! (not a joke)