GameSalad 0.9.5 – HTML5 Game Creation for Everyone

Comments

• jadjad Member Posts: 135
    I published my app to the arcade about two hours ago and got fireworks and "play on gamesalad.com" button, but in the arcade it says it is still "optimizing please check back in a few minutes", is this just extreme server lag or an error?
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Very excited to see how HTML5 plays into Facebook games in the future, this is exciting times for Gamesalad!
  • clikeclike Member, PRO Posts: 139
    Great day for Game Salad Developers.
    Congrats to the GS crew! ;)

www.stadiumpinball.com
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @jad

We have been experiencing some delay in the publishing process. We're working to get it resolved as fast as possible.

@ultima

Thank you for sharing your concerns so openly here on the forum and thanks for the words of support at the same time. Know that our decision to move into HTML5 was not taken lightly, and not without an eye still toward the mobile market. The team we have working on our HTML5 is entirely different than our iOS/Native App team, though they collaborate together on a daily basis.

We have not moved into one realm, forsaking the other. Overall, we see a way to bring these different platform arenas together and mobile development will continue to play a major role in our development strategy.

Again, thank you for the feedback and keep it coming!

--Yodapollo
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Upon seeing todays news, and trying out the new HTML5 arcade on both my ipad and on my mac, I have to say I felt a slight drop in my stomach, and agree with Ultimas sentiments..

Why does GameSalad always seem to take the option of putting wider distribution over improving and updating its core engine technology. Theres obviously been a hell of a lot of resources, time and money gone into this new chapter in GameSalads history, but the engine still lacks major features such as arrays, and still has a clunky editor missing lots of basic features and interface elements (grids, snapping, multiple copy paste, layer tools, sprite tools) that users have been asking for, for a long time now...

So again... whats at the heart of GameSalad, the editor, gets left to decay, whilst GS tries its hand at another GS Direct.

For once... please... just make a major effort to bring the editor up to scratch, instead of chasing down all these additional paths.
  • entersimonentersimon Member, PRO Posts: 273
    I have a few things I'd like to say about what's going on here.

#1. I'm extremely excited about HTML5 integration. It's becoming a new standard for web media and that means it's growing at a rapid pace. There will be a few bugs to work out and a few new ways of working as a user to make sure everything is optimized for the arcade releases, but that's to be expected. Let's not forget that we're still on day one of the launch of this new release.

#2. This release shows us that no one else is doing what GameSalad is doing. There is a world of possibility for each one of us to figure out how to marry the web and mobile platforms so that something new can be born. It's a different way of looking at the future of mobile gaming, and if you haven't noticed, the word mobile is becoming more and more synonymous with portable web. We are here in this platform's infancy and it's up to us, as the creators of the media, to use and abuse the tools in ways that were never conceived of by the creators of the tools.

#3. GameSalad is not moving backwards or in a wrong direction. The future of mobile and web media MUST be postulated and explored, and for GameSalad to grow as a company new avenues have to be explored. The thing to remember is this: They are making these tools for us to use so that we can explore the possibilities of the medium. As an immediate and obvious benefit we'll be able to demo our games to almost ANYONE regardless of whether they have an iOS device or not. That is HUGE. It's no longer just a video of your game to try and make a sale to the random potential buyer, it's a rich interactive experience.

#4. It has been stated officially that there are 2 separate teams working on the web and mobile platforms and that working on Masala hasn't slowed down production of new features for the iOS platform. Features may not be rolling out as fast as some would like, but remember that there are human beings behind the scenes that are working their butts off to make the absolute best product that they can. They've done an amazing job so far.

#(HTML)5. HTML5, if done right, opens up GameSalad to a very large and new market. Not everyone wants to make games for iOS devices. More importantly, not everyone thinks they CAN make games for iOS devices. Web games, to me, sounds like it would be a little less complicated to get into as a novice compared to an iPhone game. There is still some mysticism surrounding the idevices as I'm sure many of you have experienced. "Oh, wow! You make games for the iPhone? I could NEVER do that!" Once they get in and realize the tools they are using are the same ones used to create iPhone and iPad games, then you have some potential Pro users out there that you wouldn't have had previously. It allows for a totally new campaign for attracting users to GameSalad, which in the end will make it so that GameSalad can continue as a company and continue providing us the tools to create the games that many of us wouldn't be able to create otherwise.

I'm fully in support of the work that GameSalad is doing and I honestly believe we'll all catch up to or exceed their vision of what the future of GameSalad can be. Bugs will always be temporary; vision doesn't have to be.

Great work, developers! Your hard work is appreciated, and I promise to use and abuse the program as creatively as I can!
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Well said entersimon! There is obviously some great stuff coming out of GameSalad from Game Center integration to HTML5. It is truly an exciting time to be a developer working with GameSalad. In order to truly be successful, you've got to get your apps in as many places as possible. Look at Angry Birds, they've got an iPhone version, and iPad version, a Mac version, a Google Chrome version, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have an Android version! As a developer you want to get your product in front of as many people as you can. I went to the Apple Retail Store last night and saw a friggin Angry Birds iPhone case!!! It made me want to vomit, but the point is you need to publish your app in as many places as humanly possible. GameSalad is helping its users do that with adding in HTML5 support. Soon it will support publishing for Android Market, and after that who knows! As a GS pro user, I can say I am very pleased with the way this software is going. Keep up the good work GS team!

- Alex
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Target Practice Template
    Custom Soundtracks and Sound Effects For Sale
    Vertical/Horizontal Level Select Template
    Mac Mini For SALE!!!
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @entersimon - I share your enthusiasm. I was buzzing earlier today thinking about both the creative and promotional possibilities that html 5 games will offer.

@osucowboy18 - I don't think we can use angry birds as any kind of example of what normally happens. That thing is an anomaly. Also, they had an iphone hit before any other versions came out. The app store made their game an international brand they cashed in with all the exposure it generated.

If no one knows about your game on iphone I doubt it will make much difference how many other platforms you are on. No one will know about them on those platforms either. Although having said that some of the GS peeps have done better on the mac app store compared to itunes with certain games? But still, the revenue numbers they reported were fairly small.

Not that I'm trying to be negative. Just good to be remain a bit realistic amidst all the optimism :o)

But yeah, GS users that already have games that have sold well - Utopian, Firemaple etc, this is great that they can now put those same games on more platforms with minimal effort.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    entersimon said:
    I have a few things I'd like to say about what's going on here.

Yeah, GameSalad should hire this guy.
    @HoneyTribeStudios: Ya, I guess I didn't make it clear that you need to be somewhat popular on iOS before you branch out to other platforms. But if you are successful, HTML5 would be a great way to get your name out their, and even draw attention to your iOS games as well.

- Alex
  • mshannonmshannon Member Posts: 35
    Good news.

But please fix the font on the forums. I am going blind trying to read the posts here.
    mshannon said:
    Good news.

But please fix the font on the forums. I am going blind trying to read the posts here.

+1!!!
  • ctceismcctceismc PRO Posts: 36
    Does the GS support for HTML5 include saving the game as a local web app on the mobile device such that it can be run offline without any sort of network connection? Or is a network connection always required? Also, is it possible to take the HTML5 version and wrap it in something like the PhoneGap framework to create a mult-iplatform native app?
  • fremachucafremachuca Member Posts: 26
    Chunkypixels said:
    Upon seeing todays news, and trying out the new HTML5 arcade on both my ipad and on my mac, I have to say I felt a slight drop in my stomach, and agree with Ultimas sentiments..

Why does GameSalad always seem to take the option of putting wider distribution over improving and updating its core engine technology. Theres obviously been a hell of a lot of resources, time and money gone into this new chapter in GameSalads history, but the engine still lacks major features such as arrays, and still has a clunky editor missing lots of basic features and interface elements (grids, snapping, multiple copy paste, layer tools, sprite tools) that users have been asking for, for a long time now...

So again... whats at the heart of GameSalad, the editor, gets left to decay, whilst GS tries its hand at another GS Direct.

For once... please... just make a major effort to bring the editor up to scratch, instead of chasing down all these additional paths.

no use having a bugatti, lamborghini, ferrari and a porsche on your garage if you are a lousy driver.
  • furrytofufurrytofu Member Posts: 13
  • MichaelRandoMichaelRando Member Posts: 16
    ctceismc said:
    Does the GS support for HTML5 include saving the game as a local web app on the mobile device such that it can be run offline without any sort of network connection? Or is a network connection always required?

No, yes.
    ctceismc said:
    Also, is it possible to take the HTML5 version and wrap it in something like the PhoneGap framework to create a mult-iplatform native app?

Not possible. Not desirable either, the performance of such a thing would not be good at all.
  • 777ideas.com777ideas.com Member, PRO Posts: 895
    is it possible to play the GS Arcade games from an iDevice such as an iphone
  • micksolomicksolo Member Posts: 264
    This is great news! Well done to the Gamesalad team.
  • ctceismcctceismc PRO Posts: 36
    MichaelRando said:
    No, yes.
    Not possible. Not desirable either, the performance of such a thing would not be good at all.

Why would the performance inside PhoneGap be any less than running it in the mobile browser to begin with? I thought PhoneGap just runs your app in a browser window inside your native app. I am probably missing an important piece of information.

Just curious - thanks for your previous reply :-)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    kirk1234 said:

Suposed to be playable. It didn't work for me earlier but that was right around launch so the server may have been jammed up.
  • 777ideas.com777ideas.com Member, PRO Posts: 895
    ok thanks
    kirk1234 said:

Yep! I was playing zombie drop on my iPad 2 this morning. Ok it was a little slow to load and it ran out of memory but this is going to be the future of gaming...get on board!
    I meant I was playing zombie drop on my ipad2 in safari :)
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    How do we delete the html 5 data....i was playing running wild arcade and wanted to start over.

Tried deleting cache etc but it still seems to save my game state.

Also my mac seems to slow down after play arcade.

Darren.
  • jadjad Member Posts: 135
    It has been about 14 hours since i submitted my game got the fireworks, and on the website it still says "optimizing come back in a few minutes. Do I need to resubmit the app, or is this (still) just severe server lag
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    I have the same Jad, waiting for a response from GS!
    UtopianGames said:
    How do we delete the html 5 data....i was playing running wild arcade and wanted to start over.

Tried deleting cache etc but it still seems to save my game state.

Also my mac seems to slow down after play arcade.

Darren.

I tried resubmitting Galactic Towers with a minor fix and cannot seem to do anything to get the fix to show up.

Tried the same Deleting cache etc. Also tried a different browser. still no fix showed up.
    jad said:
    It has been about 14 hours since i submitted my game got the fireworks, and on the website it still says "optimizing come back in a few minutes. Do I need to resubmit the app, or is this (still) just severe server lag

Thats really weird. I submitted last night and was live within 5min of the fireworks. I think I would submit again if it were me.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    humm..

GS need to fix this fast

also, why is it only 480*320?

I don't have any games like that

http://gamesalad.com/wiki/
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    o silly calvin.

One of the major plus's of having a game in html5 is you can play it on safari from your device. If its bigger then 480x320 then it wont fit your iphone or itouch screen would it ;)

and i think portrait would be weird on a site.