GameSalad 0.9.5 – HTML5 Game Creation for Everyone

1235»

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    The sound bug is caused by using firefox (my default browser) it's fine in safari although it doesn't seem as smooth.

Darren.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Does performance get better next time round Darren, i think it should cache it
  • MichaelRandoMichaelRando Member Posts: 16
    ctceismc said:
    Why would the performance inside PhoneGap be any less than running it in the mobile browser to begin with? I thought PhoneGap just runs your app in a browser window inside your native app. I am probably missing an important piece of information.

A couple of reasons why. The primary reason is that the mobile browser (on iOS) is exempt from Apple's publishing rules. Therefore that application is allowed to write to memory and then execute it. That is the basis of JIT compilation; the key to any browser's good javascript performance.

If Apple chose to expose JavaScriptCore APIs on iOS; then maybe a wrapper could benefit from their javascript engine. I've 'bug'ged the issue to them before, so they well know there's interest in it. But considering how it might help cross-platform development, I am not optimistic. :)

PhoneGap hacks around the issue in an non-performant way. [Using a frame loaded callback to communicate between the script and native layer] That does not work at 60 frames per second. I'd guess it would barely work at 15 frames per second. Good enough for basic applications, but not what you'd want to drive a game.

So best performance on iOS is going to be native; and fortunately that's how we publish to iOS.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Hey guys check out

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=26298

for information on helping you setup a facebook app with your new HTML5 app on the GameSalad arcade.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Will games generally play bad on their first few plays? I uploaded Line Ar(X) and it played like an old dog the first time, but now, after a few plays it seems sooo much better. This is in Safari, Firefox doesnt play as well at all ... even with a few plays behind it! Another problem with Firefox is some of the graphics, like the writing for example, on the menu buttons look terrible!

Cheers
    beefy_clyro said:
    Will games generally play bad on their first few plays? I uploaded Line Ar(X) and it played like an old dog the first time, but now, after a few plays it seems sooo much better. This is in Safari, Firefox doesnt play as well at all ... even with a few plays behind it! Another problem with Firefox is some of the graphics, like the writing for example, on the menu buttons look terrible!

Cheers

I've had some people tell me firefox flat locked up on them when they played mine through the Facebook app. Is there maybe some issues with supporting firefox?
  • jadjad Member Posts: 135
    Hey guys my game is finally up (after about 38 hours) but the text fields e.g. my score box are black boxes, is this normal, could it be because im using Google Chrome
  • TeamLava8TeamLava8 Member, BASIC Posts: 294
    Hello, what is the usual wait time for uploading a game to the arcade?
    Ever since the new release I have tried all day everyday to upload a game. It uploads the file, gets to the "Creating a New page on Gamesalad.com" And then hangs there. I've tried waiting it out for hours and I've tried doing alot of other things like uninstalling gamesalad and then reinstalling. None seemed to work.

Actually my audio bugs were still there.

So I have 2 questions

1.Does it take forever at the "Creating a New Page on Gamesalad.com"?

2.Does anyone else have an issue where project sounds don't play in preview but music does?

Like i've said I've tried waiting 2-3 hours at one point.
    is there a catch?

Making the world better one pixel at a time!

My Website
    Over 70 AWESOME Gamesalad Templates by me!
    HIRE ME!

@jayleedesigns

1. It usually takes me fifteen - thirty seconds for it to finish at "Creating a New Page on Gamesalad.com" and i have a really slow mac, so i doubt it's your mac's fault. At first guess i would think that it's your internet connections fault (since you seem to have tried everything else) I'm not sure if this would be a problem, but you should probably make sure you're logged in at gamesalad.com (although i'm pretty sure it does this automatically when you publish)

2. I assume you're talking about GS creator, but no I don't either way. Did you code something that contradicts your project sounds when they're supposed to play?

My big hangup was the "optimizing your game come back in a few minutes" but (apparently) it was just server lag, and the game(s) went up after about 40 hours.

This is all I can think of, sorry if it doesn't help...
  • GreekSaladGreekSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 36
    @jayleedesigns

1. Usually it can range depending on the size of your project. How big of a file are you trying to publish?

2. What's the filetype you're using for the sounds?

There's no catch. It's as easy as it can be, getting your game published through to the GameSalad arcade.

It just might take a little bit. :)
    @chrisTOFU

Hi thanks for the response.

1.The size of my project is 14mb. I have tried this for days and each time it sits there at the creating new page point for what could be hours. I've tried it from wired connections/ wireless connections, even my T3? connection at work.

Everytime it hangs at that point.
    I've tried it with two games and it does the same thing for both. I actually deleted gamesalad and reinstalled it twice. Thinking it could possibly be a software issue. No fix!

2. I use either mp3 or wav files. These seemed to work in the past. The problem is now all of my old games, even templates from GS no sound works. It works on the gamesalad viewer on my device, but through preview the only thing that plays is music???

It happened after the initially update when gamecenter was first introduced. I quickly jumped on the new update and I have been sad ever since. I wouldnt usually have an issue with the sound so much. But my iOS device took a dump. So until i purchase a new one in the next few weeks, Sound effects will be a guessing game.

Also: Another interesting thing is when I try and do a html5 web preview it shows the player, loads and then the play button dissapears and nothing happens. All I see is a little button that says "FPS".

But nothing loads.

Thanks
    Jason

My Website
    HIRE ME!

Stlll the same issue.

My Website
    HIRE ME!

um.. when i went to the gamesalad arcade just now there is only the featured games, and i can't find mine even with the search? Whats the problem?
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    When can we expect support for portrait iphone games? I have a couple of games I'd like to put up on the Arcade but they are portrait.
    Yeah something seems to have changed with it. There is a drop down to select the newest apps but there is no way to get just a listing of all the apps published. That really prob needs to be changed. I haven't tried searching mine. I'll do that now.
    jad said:
    um.. when i went to the gamesalad arcade just now there is only the featured games, and i can't find mine even with the search? Whats the problem?

Ok so I just did a test. There is definitely an issue with search. It by default only searches the feature stuff. Thats not a good thing as people don't realize it and its not obvious. If you click the drop down next to the featured games title and select newest games then the search will work.

Definitely something that needs to adjusted.

Edit: Also something is wrong with the show more button at the bottom.
  • PuschelFriendsPuschelFriends Member Posts: 19
    Hey Gamesalad Team,

thanks for html 5 feature... but how can i get it for my server?
    I don't want my games hosted by gamesalad server, i want to put my apps on my own server...
    is that possible?

thanks . Frank
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    PuschelFriends said:
    Hey Gamesalad Team,

thanks for html 5 feature... but how can i get it for my server?
    I don't want my games hosted by gamesalad server, i want to put my apps on my own server...
    is that possible?

thanks . Frank

not possible at this time sorry
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    not possible at this time sorry

I also expect if that option ever comes it will be a pro only thing. So might keep that $499/year fee in mind as well