Spare Code ? Dump It here.

Comments

• ericzingelerericzingeler Member Posts: 334
    @RThurman

I like the first method, that could come in handy. Thanks for sharing!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989

'Free Vertical & Horizontal Parallax Template' .

It's all labelled up, and hopefully gives others something to learn from, adjust and implement into their own games, storybooks, apps or what ever.

As well as the rules for the parallax offsets for foreground and background layers, it also includes rules which stop the constraining behaviours happening when outside a given area around the camera. This should reduce the load on the CPU as well as stop actors from moving so far out of the scene that they are automatically destroyed when they go 500px outside the scene area.

Head here to download the template for free:
    http://www.stormystudio.com/game_templates.html

And here's a little video preview to see what I'm talking about:
  • ericzingelerericzingeler Member Posts: 334
    @StormyStudio

Well done, very good work there.
  • RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    @RThurman
    Ya know, it was just something I started doing at one point and it stuck. But in general, I've always preferred working with attributes in my conditions vs the pre-defined actions.
    OK, I wasn't sure if I was missing some fundamental insight or something. But now that you mention it -- it does seem like a good practice to test with attributes like that.
    edited August 2013
    I like the first method, that could come in handy. Thanks for sharing!
    You are welcome -- and thanks. Knowing the actor's local coordinates will come in very handy for creating certain kinds of joints with pivot points.
    edited August 2013
    @StormyStudio -- that's a really nice demonstration on creating a parallax effect. Thanks for sharing it!

And thanks to @Socks for this thread. Its really nice to be able to celebrate these great little GS victories with others.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Wonder if this could be stickied.. or something similar could be. :-?
    - Thomas
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    Wonder if this could be stickied.. or something similar could be. :-?
    - Thomas
    I was thinking the same thing last night. This thread is a great resource.

• VolontaArtsVolontaArts Member Posts: 510
    @Socks
    I'm curious how you did the magic splash screen. You didn't place each actor manually did you?
    Thanks
    @blue_elephant im not great at writing rules so i cant tell you how to do it. but it looks like the word MAGIC is just a image being erased by the circle, while releasing particles at the direction its going.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    @Socks
    I'm curious how you did the magic splash screen. You didn't place each actor manually did you?
    Thanks
    @blue_elephant im not great at writing rules so i cant tell you how to do it. but it looks like the word MAGIC is just a image being erased by the circle, while releasing particles at the direction its going.
    Each pixel is an individual actor, open the file and take a look, you can click on them and move them around.
    @StormyStudio

Great parallax stuff !
    ah then you got me there. lol @socks
    ah then you got me there. lol @socks
    :)

I'll tell you how it's done once I'm finished with it.
    your still working on it!!! lol whats there to be done its perfect lol
    your still working on it!!! lol whats there to be done its perfect lol
    It's a small part of something else, I'm not sure people would buy an app that just had the word magic in it . . . ;)
    lol cool. looking forward to it
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Gravity vs Rotation

I've gotten tons of personal messages and emails asking for this demo. Rotate the camera in any direction, and the gravity which is applied to the actor will continue to accelerate as if it's direction is set to 270. Here's a quick demo I made. Simple, but fun.

Enjoy!
    @Braydon_SFX -- don't know how I missed this one. Its a really nice demo. There is a whole game just waiting to be created!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    @Braydon_SFX That's great, simple once you know how and very handy. Massive kudos for sharing...
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    @RThurman & @StormyStudio -- Cheers guys! Thanks for taking an interest in my wee demos. :)>-
  • TeamLava8TeamLava8 Member, BASIC Posts: 294
    Hey!
    Here is a where's my water demo I posted a looong time ago. Enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/msqta1s2jhfqtrs/wheresmywater.zip

Making the world better one pixel at a time!

My Website
    Over 70 AWESOME Gamesalad Templates by me!
    HIRE ME!

edited September 2013
    Chain Joints

(From a previous discussion last month, but perhaps its appropriate to put this here.)

Joints are really just a definition of the relationship between two objects. When one creates a relationship between two or more objects a joint is created.

If you looked at the Box2D source code, you would find that its just using the same math functions that GameSalad has to define those relationships. Blah, Blah, Blah, math, Blah, Blah.. math, Blah, Blah, math, math, Blah, Blah....

Well any way, here is an example of how to use two simple move behaviors in each actor to create chain joints. It just shows the basic principles. But one could use the same principles to create elastic joints (with acceleration behaviors).

The first scene has links between two fixed points. You can use it to make a trampolene or a sling shot. You can drag the end points around and the joints do their chain thing. If you want, you could put obstacles in the scene, just to prove that the chain links can bump into stuff and react to physics.

The second scene has one end of the chain free. It shows how to make something more like a "cut the rope" style rope/chain.

Its best to think of the actors as the 'joints'. Not as the chain links. You would build the chain links to go between the 'joints'.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9vjq4qtil8bgnd1/ChainJointsUsingMove.zip
    And Here is a gobtron style mechanic I made waaaaaay back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mw4j81gkryz3bxt/GobtronTemplate.zip

My Website
    HIRE ME!

edited September 2013
    @rthurman perfect timing! i was just thinking on how i would join my 2 actors side by side! this would probably help me with that
    I see this one alot. People always seem to be looking for a fruit ninja style blade. It's quick and dirty, but it gets the job done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23j5qpyzlfv6hyu/FruitNinjaBlade.gameproj.zip

My Website
    HIRE ME!

• kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    @RThurman awesome work on the chain joints.. Really awesome. Certainly one of the best juice flowing out of GS.
    @jayleedesigns -- I'm really enjoying the Fruit Ninja Blade demo. To me it demonstrates the art of illusion and perception that can go into crafting a good game mechanic. Thanks for sharing with the community!
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Sticky this gets a +1 from me as its very helpful for beginners.

Darren.
    @rthurman perfect timing! i was just thinking on how i would join my 2 actors side by side! this would probably help me with that
    Great! I'm glad the chain demo will be useful for you.
    @RThurman awesome work on the chain joints.. Really awesome. Certainly one of the best juice flowing out of GS.
    Thanks! Ummm... I think. (Wipes up some spilled juice.)
    @jayleedesigns -- I'm really enjoying the Fruit Ninja Blade demo. To me it demonstrates the art of illusion and perception that can go into crafting a good game mechanic. Thanks for sharing with the community!
    Thanks! Hopefully I'll have some more goodies to add soon!

My Website
    HIRE ME!