Introducing Graphene SDK...

Comments

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

Awesome @gingagaming‌ !! :)

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

I'll +1 that! :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411

@CodeWizard said:
    We're focusing on 2D with Graphene for now. 2.5D is also supported... not by fakery either. The engine has support for tile maps that are mapped into proper 3D space. It also supports sorting objects such that they appear in front / behind properly on those kinds of maps.

Here's a screenshot from an unreleased game built with the same engine:

The ground tiles are built from this sprite sheet:

3D? Oh, we're not ruling that out. But it's not soon. :)

Thank goodness! I've been wanting this forever. Lets hear it for SORTING!

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

I am learning LUA! Getting ready for Graphene. By the time Graphene is released I will be able to code with it inside GS! :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• ETGgamesETGgames Member, PRO Posts: 190

Do we need to know how to code or is that optional?
    What language will the code be in?
    Will we have to pay even if we are existing pro users?

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Will we get rid of the loading wheel?

I hope so.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

@EthaneusTheGreat said:
    Do we need to know how to code or is that optional?
    What language will the code be in?
    Will we have to pay even if we are existing pro users?

I suggest (as politely as possible) reading the thread and most of your answers will be found.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited January 2015

I have been wondering if...with these new options of scripts being able to be written outside of what the base Graphene program can do...Will this be able to make more apps condidered to be outside the boundaries of "games"? Such as, photo apps with filters, small business apps, sales apps or be able to access more functions of the shell operating system? Just a thought. GameSalad obviously implies games...Graphene seems to leave that out so Im kind of excited to see how that works out.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

@Thunder_Child said:
    I have been wondering if...with these new options of scripts being able to be written outside of what the base Graphene program can do...Will this be able to make more apps condidered to be outside the boundaries of "games"? Such as, photo apps with filters, small business apps, sales apps or be able to access more functions of the shell operating system? Just a thought. GameSalad obviously implies games...Graphene seems to leave that out so Im kind of excited to see how that works out.

Interesting thoughts @Thunder_Child‌, very interesting.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Thunder_Child‌ We can code, thats for sure. So I assume that if we get access to all the api's, we can make utility apps for sure! I think it's a very nice thought. Creating beautiful interactive UI's can take a very long time to program (in Xcode or any other program), but with gamesalad it is fairly easy to design something great, it's just that we don't have access to all the api's. Hopefully Graphine can give us this, because this will open some doors for some developers around here.

@CodeWizard‌ Can you give any information regarding to the api access?

• motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429

What's GameSalad?

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@dreichelt said:
    What's GameSalad?

The answer is 42

• lucianolgoulartlucianolgoulart Member Posts: 1

Suport 3D ?

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@lucianolgoulart said:
    Suport 3D ?

Thats been answered recently on one of these last pages. Short answer is no, not at this time. Although 2.5D will be supported.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2015

@dreichelt said, and @JSproject‌
    What's GameSalad?

GameSalad is the game engine I have been waiting for to be finished.

Graphehe is the game engine I am now going to wait for to be finished! >:)

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

@PhilipCC‌ Good thing the engine is already finished! :) The tool? Still needs work.

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    edited January 2015

@Approw said:
    Thunder_Child‌ We can code, thats for sure. So I assume that if we get access to all the api's, we can make utility apps for sure! I think it's a very nice thought. Creating beautiful interactive UI's can take a very long time to program (in Xcode or any other program), but with gamesalad it is fairly easy to design something great, it's just that we don't have access to all the api's. Hopefully Graphine can give us this, because this will open some doors for some developers around here.

@CodeWizard‌ Can you give any information regarding to the api access?

+1

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143

There's nothing inherent in Graphene that requires you to make games. Although, the systems currently built are game-centric. But that's not stopping folks from adding the necessary bits to make a non-game app.

• neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826

@CodeWizard said:
    The tool? Still needs work.

And all us tools need a lot of work too to learn Graphene ... ha ha

@CodeWizard‌ I take that as a yes:)! thanks

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@CodeWizard said:
    There's nothing inherent in Graphene that requires you to make games. Although, the systems currently built are game-centric. But that's not stopping folks from adding the necessary bits to make a non-game app.

Awesome info thanks.

• mattiapolmattiapol Member Posts: 2

When it'll be finish?

• motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429

@JSproject said:
    The answer is 42

Thanks!!!

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

Grapheme sounds great. I am glad it is aimed to be used for general apps also.
    Will we have access to device stuff like Camera Roll, Calendar, cameras or mic?

@Valan‌ Most probably yes:)!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Valan said:
    Grapheme sounds great. I am glad it is aimed to be used for general apps also.
    Will we have access to device stuff like Camera Roll, Calendar, cameras or mic?

Not sure, but even if it doesn't I think we can create a plugin which will allow us to access those features.

• LuMa GamesLuMa Games USAMember Posts: 129
    edited January 2015

Things I hope are in Graphene

-Custom collision shapes

-Use of sprite sheets (already confirmed!)

-Use any font with Display Text and have more customization

-Push notifications

-Better support for Android sound

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

(sigh) I really do hope so.

Creating a UI with gamesalad is great for non-game apps. I have done a few, but always hit a brick wall when I would like to access basic device facilities.

Also looking forward to using Grapheme with MySQL and other backend stuff.

• It would be nice if let's say every 2 weeks, you guys hit at something from Graphene ;)

• dingosmoovdingosmoov Member Posts: 130

How can I get in the Beta? I signed up and tweet about it... :smile: