Release Candidate 0.13.3 - FireTV and Gamepad Support

Comments

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089

@scottharrrules43 said:
    test and fixed, laser still broken but movement fixed, will fix laser later here you go.

@imGua said:
    Thanks. I've actually solve movement problem myself. Now I'm trying to solve speed problem, meaning, the more you push stick from the center, the bigger the speed. I thought I've got good formula, but it doesn't work for some reason.

I'll try to solve it myself cause it shouldn't be that complicated.

Turns out it was just a typo. Controller support integrated. Woohoo!

Time to get back to Mavericks, cause Yosmite performance is killing me.

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803

@imGua said:
    I would love to see example that uses sticks to move character.

Here is Airship Defender that uses the D pad as well as the left stick to move and navigate the menu. The D-pad control for movement is turned off for now.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Picked up a PS4 controller, can't wait to try it out! Thanks for the tips.

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

Shut the front door this is sweet!!!! Cant wait till you allow me to export to ps4 ;)

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

I believe ps mobile works with android, maybe it will work with ps vita?

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@CodeMonkey said:
    Here is Airship Defender that uses the D pad as well as the left stick to move and navigate the menu. The D-pad control for movement is turned off for now.

Works perfect with my Xbox 360 wired controller, only controller I have right now to test with.

edited February 2015

I am having problems if i go in to devices player1 or player2, then joystick, connected and turning it on to try to test it in preview to see if stuff in my game works or not. But when i put it on my ouya it works like it is suppose to do.

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803

@scottharrrules43 said:
    I am having problems if i go in to devices player1 or player2, then joystick, connected and turning it on to try to test it in preview to see if stuff in my game works or not. But when i put it on my ouya it works like it is suppose to do.

The Devices->Player# attributes should not need to be manually modified. Those are values reported by the device. If you want to see if the device is connected, or if a certain button is pressed, or how far a stick is moved from center, that is where you get that information,

If you want to make those button presses mimic a key being pressed, you would manually modify the Keymap attributes.

@CodeMonkey said:
    If you want to make those button presses mimic a key being pressed, you would manually modify the Keymap attributes.

thanks

For platform do we use 720p HD

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited February 2015

So here's a question for all of you, in your control instructions, how are you going to let people know which button to press?

on the xbox it's x,y,a,b
    on the ps4 it's square, triangle, x, circle
    on the ouya it's U,Y,O,A

Right now I'm just targeting the kindle fire, and that has the same X,Y,A,B as the xbox, so that'll be easier, but I'm thinking long term.

@BlackCloakGS is there some master list of controller name/vendor/product id lists? That way we could theoretically display the correct button

if xbox, show x
    if ps4 show square
    if ouya show U

For my ps4 the vendor id is1356, and the product Id is 1476. Can anyone else with a PS4 confirm this?

Can people with other joysticks post their vendor/product ids? I'll get the kindle fire remote and controller later tonight

edit: I found this, which had pictures of a lot of different gamepads, and it looks like most of them follow the X,Y,A,B format, so that might be a good jumping off place.
    http://www.raywenderlich.com/66532/ios-7-game-controller-tutorial

edited February 2015

:) :) :)

the first of 4 planned app updates. This one will be the most involved I think. I have over 100 dialog samples that need to be updated to display what button to press to close, and need to tweak the menu system to support some sort of selection option.

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

Looks sweet Jon, could you not just have a generic box open first time round with circle to close for instance and then not bother updating 100 other boxes?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

I can post a list of the vender Id and product ids later to night. At some point I would like to put in an device attribute for the friendly name of the face buttons. Feel free to put in a feature request.

@beefy_clyro said:
    Looks sweet Jon, could you not just have a generic box open first time round with circle to close for instance and then not bother updating 100 other boxes?

that's a great idea. :)

I'm also thinking of putting a small generic graphic in the settings page with a description of what buttons do what. This way I can leave the image buttons empty, with just arrows pointing to what they do.

@BlackCloakGS said:
    I can post a list of the vender Id and product ids later to night. At some point I would like to put in an device attribute for the friendly name of the face buttons. Feel free to put in a feature request.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=750

@jonmulcahy said:
    So here's a question for all of you, in your control instructions, how are you going to let people know which button to press?

on the xbox it's x,y,a,b
    on the ps4 it's square, triangle, x, circle
    on the ouya it's U,Y,O,A

Right now I'm just targeting the kindle fire, and that has the same X,Y,A,B as the xbox, so that'll be easier, but I'm thinking long term.

BlackCloakGS is there some master list of controller name/vendor/product id lists? That way we could theoretically display the correct button

if xbox, show x
    if ps4 show square
    if ouya show U

For my ps4 the vendor id is1356, and the product Id is 1476. Can anyone else with a PS4 confirm this?

Can people with other joysticks post their vendor/product ids? I'll get the kindle fire remote and controller later tonight

edit: I found this, which had pictures of a lot of different gamepads, and it looks like most of them follow the X,Y,A,B format, so that might be a good jumping off place.
    http://www.raywenderlich.com/66532/ios-7-game-controller-tutorial

the ones I can remember logitec 310 , Xbox use a,b,x,and y
    steal series and older Logitech uses numbers
    play station the triangle, square , square and circle

• 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367

Wow, this is a dream come true! Thank you so much GS Team! :D

• Spalding004Spalding004 Member, BASIC Posts: 89
    edited February 2015

Rockcandy 360 controller:

Vendor ID: 3695
    Product ID: 287

GS recognizes that a controller is connected but does not recognize any button/stick inputs.

EDIT:

Xbox One Controller (shows in GS as "Xbox 360")

VID: 1118
    PID: 654
    The only inputs which work correctly on an official xbone controller (at least on my mbp) thru gamesalad are control sticks (both) x/y, left shoulder bumper and right shoulder bumper. All other inputs fail.

edited February 2015

made good progress on A Long Way Home last night. I converted the main menu to be gamepad compatible, however with the project this large and the performance issues on Yosemite I have to restart GS every 5-10 minutes... which is funny, because when I was developing this game originally, I had to do the same thing!

• 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368

Whooaa this is awesome and unexpected! Thanks GS! Major respect to @BlackCloakGS and then the tease from @dgackey

Nice to see that the Dualshock 4 is supported.....now if we only had PS4 support......

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• parimalarapolparimalarapol Member, PRO Posts: 6

hey everyone, I have a doubt, i want to include chartboost into my game, and as i wasn't able to do it from 0.10.4 while publishing, i published it in nightlybuilds, but it doesn't even load my game when i check it on an android phone, and i also published it using 0.10.4 viewer and it runs perfect. Can anyone please help me with some good idea, so that i can include chartboost and also my game works properly.

Here is a feature request for ps and Xbox support. Go vote for it if you want it sooner.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=751

edited February 2015

here is a list of the vender id and product id that we have

• Dragon Rise (the vendor of the steel series 3GS according to the controller ): 121 Steel * Series 3GC Controlle: 6
    • Game Elements Recoill venderID :3888 Game Elements Recoil product ID:263
    • SteelSeriesVendorID: 4152 SteelSeriesFreeController Product ID:5138
    • SonyVendorID:1356 Playstation3Controller product ID:616 Playstation4Controller product ID:1476
    • LogitechVendorID = 1133 LogitechDualAction product ID:49686 LogitechGamepadF310 product ID: 49693
    • OUYAVendorID :10294 OUYAController Product ID:1
    • MicrosoftVendorID 1118 MicrosoftXbox360WindowsController Product ID:654
    • AmazonVendorID:6473 AmazonFireGameController Product ID:1026
    edited February 2015

@Spalding004 said:
    Rockcandy 360 controller:

Vendor ID: 3695
    Product ID: 287

GS recognizes that a controller is connected but does not recognize any button/stick inputs.

EDIT:

Xbox One Controller (shows in GS as "Xbox 360")

VID: 1118
    PID: 654
    The only inputs which work correctly on an official xbone controller (at least on my mbp) thru gamesalad are control sticks (both) x/y, left shoulder bumper and right shoulder bumper. All other inputs fail.

we don't have the Rockcandy controller or xbox one controller mapped. There reason the xbox one is showing up as a xbox 360 is that it shares the save vender and product id as the xbox 360 controller. Put in a feature request if you would like us to support that. If i get time i will put together a program where you can map the controller and send the mapping to us. Also if you run GameSalad terminal we have logging that will show you the element id, value and max/min value for the controller. If you can send the id and max/min for the buttons that don't work i can add it to the mapping so it will work.

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@BlackCloakGS This is nice and I'm sure you've spent much time to bring this to the table but what really matters when push comes to shove is stability and currently the GS engine has memory leakage issues causing bigger game projects to eventually crash. I hope you can take this seriously and perform tests yourself. I have no doubt in your abilities to get this resolved if you really prioritize looking into this.

edited February 2015

@JSproject SteveJ will be looking into the memory issue with the engine this week. It is next on his list after finishing admob. I will be looking more in to creator performance issues. However we have to finish what we are working on first is slows us down if we have to keep switching tasks. Believe me I hear you guys i know you are having issues with memory usage and performance. It is next on our list. Thank you for your continued patience.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Just got to say I've spent a good part of the day learning and converting one of my games controls (in game and menu system) to gamepad control and it is just awesome to be playing the game with a controller instead of a keyboard!

Really, really great work! Next thing to explore is publishing to FireTV!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Absolutely taking on board what @BlackCloakGS has said. But I'll mention that the memory issue when using the back button seems to be back with a vengeance in this build. Looking forward to that getting fully fixed! It's costing me money since an hour of work ends up being maybe 45 mins productively spent, so I'm working 1/4 of the time essentially for free while waiting for GS to do something, since I can't charge for that time :(

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@jamie_c said:
    Just got to say I've spent a good part of the day learning and converting one of my games controls (in game and menu system) to gamepad control and it is just awesome to be playing the game with a controller instead of a keyboard!

Really, really great work! Next thing to explore is publishing to FireTV!

I agree playing my game with a controller is awesome, my only issue is reworking the menu system thats the hard part for me anyway, player control was super easy.