Release Candidate 0.13.3 - FireTV and Gamepad Support

1235»

Comments

• BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374

Anyone have pointers on how you can install a GameSalad app onto a Amazon Fire TV for testing? Is there any docs yet?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

adb kill-server
    adb connect ipOfFireTV

adb install apkYouWantToInstall

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited February 2015

@jonmulcahy said:
    @BlackCloakGS i filed a bug report already, but it looks like every time I disconnect my PS4 gamepad, which is connected over USB, when GS is open, it crashes the entire app.

I had this issue with my Xbox360 controller crashing my entire computer when I unplugged it, after some searching I found article below that showed how to change device id and vendor id in the device driver plist file, and now it all works perfect on my mini mac running 10.9.5. maybe the Ps4 controller has a similar issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18789871#post18789871

edited February 2015

So i am finding there is some incompatibles with xbox 360 and xbox one 3rd party drivers for mac. http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller use there own mapping and https://github.com/FranticRain/Xone-OSX uses a different one when the xbox one is attached and it pretends to be a 360 controller. Which one do you guys use?

@BlackCloakGS said:
    So i am finding there is some incompatibles with xbox 360 and xbox one 3rd party drivers for mac. http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller use there own mapping and https://github.com/FranticRain/Xone-OSX uses a different one when the xbox one is attached and it pretends to be a 360 controller. Which one do you guys use?

I'm using the tattiebogle.net one.

What driver are you guys using for xbox one?

Is Amazon Fire TV Stick also supported or only the Fire TV box?

edited February 2015

Yes the Amazon FireTV Stick is supported.

edited February 2015

Does the controller work with the Fire stick? I checked the web page it did not seem to say.

How did I miss this,lol. so answer is Yes.

Game Controller Support Yes, optimized for Amazon Fire Game Controller, compatible with Nyko PlayPad Pro and other Bluetooth controllers.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@dgackey said:

We'll have more on this Monday, but we will also be running another free PRO promotion -- focusing, obviously, on Fire TV games. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

What happened to the more on Monday?

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Forgot that Monday was a holiday when I wrote that, and the email blast was being drafted today.

I believe it will be going out tomorrow, fingers crossed on that.

Long story short, every Fire TV game published will net you a free month of PRO and there will be some cash prizes randomly awarded as well.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• @BlackCloakGS amazing work! thank you!

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

For those looking for a decent controller to test or develop with, Amazon has the wired X360 controller on sale today for $26.95:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QRKWLA

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• Fal01Fal01 Member Posts: 460

Has anyone adapted a point and click game for this format?

It’s not a bug – it’s an undocumented feature

@BBEnk yes the controllers work on the fireTV stick

• DevirosDeviros Member, PRO Posts: 87

Quick question before i file a bug report - does anyone else experience a 'flicker' on screen with applications compiled with 13.3?

Using an iPhone6+ for reference.

I don't think that it's the behaviours i've set - the 12.20 ran without this issue, and it doesn't demonstrate this in the preview.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@Deviros said:
    Quick question before i file a bug report - does anyone else experience a 'flicker' on screen with applications compiled with 13.3?

Using an iPhone6+ for reference.

I don't think that it's the behaviours i've set - the 12.20 ran without this issue, and it doesn't demonstrate this in the preview.

not that i've noticed, are you seeing it on the device or in the preview? I've pushed a single build to the kindle fire tv, but I've opened 3 different projects and used the built in preview without any problems

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited February 2015

@Deviros, I haven't previewed on a device yet, but I've had no issues like you mention in GS preview.

• DevirosDeviros Member, PRO Posts: 87

@jonmulcahy said:
    not that i've noticed, are you seeing it on the device or in the preview? I've pushed a single build to the kindle fire tv, but I've opened 3 different projects and used the built in preview without any problems

Only on the device - doens't seem to be affecting the preview at all.

It's inconsistent too - seems to only happen when something is 'computed' - like spawning an actor, or changing the size of an actor.

I love the JoyStick option now.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited February 2015

I've been working on converting 3 apps to use the gamepad.

A Long Way Home - This one has been the easiest to add gamepad support, but also the most complicated. Since I am making a fire tv edition of the game, I'm converting the game to widescreen, which is no trivial task, but the initial demos look awesome. I'm very excited for this, by adding an extra 171 pixels to each side really intensifies the feeling of being isolated, which is a major part of the game

Building Jumper - This one was pretty easy to convert all the menus, it took about 30 minutes. Changing the aiming mechanism to use the gamepad was a little more challenging, mostly because it's hard to find the right balance of sensitivity. It's still a work in progress.

CATACLYSM - this one has actually been the most difficult, and i thought it would be the easiest. It uses a very old implementation of the on screen joystick control methods, and trying to alter that to accept gamepad control has been a little more complicated than I anticipated. I've broken the game more times than I care to admin. That's what backups are for :)

So right now I am moving along with A Long Way Home, since it is my favorite of the 3, and I love the way the game looks widescreen (which was a feat in itself). Right now I'm manually going through all 120 scenes to make sure everything is lining up properly since I'm doing some really crazy camera tricks, and then I have to redesign the main menu to make it widescreen compatible AND gamepad friendly. So that will take a few days I'm thinking.

But it does bring me back to when I originally made the game. I'm checking 10 levels at a time, then I have to quit and restart. :)

I am currently on Mac OS 10.8.5 - will upgrading to Yosemite cause issues with using an XBox 360 wireless controller. I thought I read somewhere that http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller does not work on Yosemite?

I am using that driver on Yosemite and it works fine

• klickinkklickink Member Posts: 35

@jonmulcahy do you have a mac version of that demo?