Heads up for 1.25 release

Comments

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    I'm not one who is worried at all. The team is focused on getting out 1.25. Us beta testers, who do have contact with the team have been updating you on the progress. The kind of info that we are giving out has never been allowed before. How can you say they are holding back info when we are giving out more info than ever before about a beta product. We beta testers are giving out the info so they don't have to take time away from their work. We veterans have stepped up to fill some of the gaps to keep the community going. Instead of complaining why not try helping? @Braydon_SFX can use people to help with the GOTM stuff every month. People need help with questions answered on the forum et....

This! :) here here

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    ... why not try helping? @Braydon_SFX can use people to help with the GOTM stuff every month.

I can probably spare some time to help with this if needed. Not sure what it would involve but yeah I'm down...

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@KevinCross said:

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    ... why not try helping? @Braydon_SFX can use people to help with the GOTM stuff every month.

I can probably spare some time to help with this if needed. Not sure what it would involve but yeah I'm down...

Essentially the panelists each go through all of the games submitted. Afterwards they write up their thoughts on their favorite games and suggest a GOTM winner based on certain criteria. That sounds easy, and it is, but it is time consuming. If you're (or anyone else) interested, please PM me; we'd love to have more members of the community participate in judge (assuming their game isn't in the batch of games submitted that month).

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@KevinCross said:

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

He needs more judges to share in the rotation. Evaluating ten or more games a month can take up quite a bit of time.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611
    edited April 2016

Let's all just stay positive for .25 guys :)

• iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310

I hope my pro-membership holds-out long enough.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@lycettebros said:
    Support GS, Subscribe!

Okay! I'll renew next week. :smiley:

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@lycettebros said:
    Support GS, Subscribe!

Yep, if you want the engine to continue to get better gotta contribute to keep it going!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited April 2016

@PhilipCC said:

@lycettebros said:
    Support GS, Subscribe!

Gee that was easy, well done! :wink:

• patoghpatogh Member Posts: 23

Windows platform is remove from Portfolio now We can't update or make new win apps.

@patogh said:
    Windows platform is remove from Portfolio now We can't update or make new win apps.

Hmm interesting. Maybe it will be replaced by proper Windows native .exe sometime soon?

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Any hopeful ETAs? I know there can be no concrete date but a shot in the dark would do great! :# B) :# Rather excited about some of the changes coming up!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@lycettebros said:

@PhilipCC said:

@lycettebros said:
    Support GS, Subscribe!

Gee that was easy, well done! :wink:

It was an easy choice: 12 more months of this stimulating forum, tips, tricks, free templates and "cat fights" to spectate, OR a case of vodka! GS won out for now. :grin:

@AlchimiaStudios said:

@patogh said:

Hmm interesting. Maybe it will be replaced by proper Windows native .exe sometime soon?

The best method for creating exe is to do an HTML 5 to exe conversion. There is a thread on it. I'll tag @jonmulcahy he uses this method.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@AlchimiaStudios said:

@patogh said:

The best method for creating exe is to do an HTML 5 to exe conversion. There is a thread on it. I'll tag @jonmulcahy he uses this method.

It won't work for my project. I've tried. EXE wrappers work well if your game is small and works well as a HTML5 game. My game is 1.5gb and barely runs in html5 unfortunately.

Plus we need some ability to integrate steam API and controller support for a truly good experience on steam/windows.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@AlchimiaStudios said:

@patogh said:

All the old windows platform was, was an HTML5 wrapped version of your game, but it was limited to the Windows 8 store. Microsoft wants everyone to move to Windows10 SDK to submit, but last time I tried, I couldn't get it work with the GS output... so i think this is actually a good thing. You have full control over your game.

There is a native .exe option coming. I don't know when but i saw a beta of it last fall. It worked pretty good. I'm sure once they get 1.25 out the door it'll be coming. I know it's a big thing now that GS is on steam.

@jonmulcahy said:

@AlchimiaStudios said:

@patogh said:

All the old windows platform was, was an HTML5 wrapped version of your game, but it was limited to the Windows 8 store. Microsoft wants everyone to move to Windows10 SDK to submit, but last time I tried, I couldn't get it work with the GS output... so i think this is actually a good thing. You have full control over your game.

There is a native .exe option coming. I don't know when but i saw a beta of it last fall. It worked pretty good. I'm sure once they get 1.25 out the door it'll be coming. I know it's a big thing now that GS is on steam.

Cool, thank you for the information.

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410
    edited April 2016

The number of dedicated programmers is a real concern but not to the quality of the product. Time is being taken which is a really good sign.

I think we should consider how we can help in our own small way.

My way is to help is to promote GS, and point new users to the GS site. Here's an example.
    http://www.slant.co/topics/341/~2d-game-engines

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@Valan said:
    The number of dedicated programmers is a real concern but not to the quality of the product. Time is being taken which is a really good sign.

I think we should consider how we can help in our own small way.

My way is to help is to promote GS, and point new users to the GS site. Here's an example.
    http://www.slant.co/topics/341/~2d-game-engines

http://www.slant.co/topics/341/viewpoints/36/~2d-game-engines~gamesalad

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited April 2016

I found this in the cons , they linked it to this page :/

Product is suffering - Lacking company leadership and no voice from corporate. Some customers are currently in a holding pattern from the lack of support and messaging from GS corporate. The GS is currently unstable and useless and developers are waiting for another update that has been going on from 2015. No word or message from GS corporate about timeframes or deliverables

I dont know if its a known site but its not that bad to be honest , they gave us many updates and GS is not useless right now.

edited April 2016

@Icebox said:

Product is suffering - Lacking company leadership and no voice from corporate. Some customers are currently in a holding pattern from the lack of support and messaging from GS corporate. The GS is currently unstable and useless and developers are waiting for another update that has been going on from 2015. No word or message from GS corporate about timeframes or deliverables

I dont know if its a known site but its not that bad to be honest , they gave us many updates and GS is not useless right now.

Once 1.25 comes out this will be completely untrue. They just issued us a new test build and fixed a few bugs. They fixed the angular velocity being reported as radians back to a straight velocity and fixed a newly discover font issue. They also sorted the sound and music behaviors so the list of items in the drop down are list alphabetically.

Also they are doing this in the publishing system Yah, we are moving towards using the HTML5 target and having the user package with Cordova / Phonegap. This will give more publishing options for us users.

@Lost_Oasis_Games great news i hope they edit it as well , as for the html5 i cant use it for my game there was a bug with collisions and it didn't go well , so unfortunately i wont be able to publish to html5.

@Icebox said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games great news i hope they edit it as well , as for the html5 i cant use it for my game there was a bug with collisions and it didn't go well , so unfortunately i wont be able to publish to html5.

Ardent is working on all those issues and getting HTML 5 publishing up to speed so you can use it with those programs. I am aware as are they that as this moment it is not adequate for that but they are working on it to be viable for using those containers.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    They fixed the angular velocity being reported as radians back to a straight velocity

Yeah ! :smile:

edited April 2016

@Icebox said:

_Product is suffering - Lacking company leadership and no voice from corporate . . .

Yeah, I saw that too, along with a couple of other discouraging comments, that's the kind of thing I was mentioning / warning about earlier in this thread, every 'GS is doomed! Abandon ship!' post contributes to this image of a troubled platform, it's a worry seeing it in threads on the forum as it potentially loses GS new users, but even more damaging when this starts to gain traction outside of the forum.

If I were GameSalad I'd delete this thread, pretty much every page contains talk of doom and disaster, with some users certain we are in the final days/weeks before the great Salapocalypse™, having this as the post right at the top of the forum is probably not doing GS any favours.

Yes your right, people tend to focus on the cons more than the pros even for me id look for the cons first and as you said its really damaging specially when its at the top of the forum.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634
    edited April 2016

@Socks said:

If I were GameSalad I'd delete this thread

I second the statement above.

edited April 2016

IF GS deletes this thread there would likely be unintended consequences...

Since GS not responding and taking this long on a build has caused users to get scared and declare an apocalypse, what do you envision would happen once the heavy handed silencing of the user base occurs? Probably not good either. Probably more user dissent honestly.

I would say just unsticky this one and then have someone on staff make a new post with a status update. That would be the better course of action.

edited April 2016

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Since GS not responding and taking this long on a build has caused users to get scared and declare an apocalypse, what do you envision would happen once the heavy handed silencing of the user base occurs? Probably not good either. Probably more user dissent honestly.

Yeah, I agree censorship is rarely without pushback and like you say it will probably upset a few users, but on the balance of things I'd still say it was a better option than leaving this thread up at the top of the forum for month after month. The same can be said of your unsticky (+sink!) option too, certainly a much better option than having the grim reaper wandering around the forum sounding the bells of death ! :D

I also worry a little that even my posts, and others, that are simply discussing the subject of other people discussing the (unfounded) demise of GS might add to that damaging image, so I might have to stop !