Heads up for 1.25 release

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Valan said:
    I think we should consider how we can help in our own small way.

My way is to help is to promote GS, and point new users to the GS site.

If anyone who knows their way around Wikipedia, it would be good if they spent half an hour updating the GameSalad entry, it's pretty out of date.

• app_sauceapp_sauce Member, PRO Posts: 206

It would be great if gamesalad would run a social ad campaign(maybe they are). The tools to reach a lot of young would-be game devs is easier than ever. Do something clever (make a game in a day) show a video highlighting the process. Then have a link directly to the game on all the app stores and a link to gamesalad. Facebook would be perfect for this type of campaign. Of course, I think the best advertisement would be a hit game made with gamesalad. So, that's on us if we ever get 1.25 :D

SocializeTwitter , **My Site ** **Play Loop Zen Free **iOS HERE, Google Play HERE

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

It's not censorship. It's obsolete information. Whenever an announcement needs to be made, then they can do so.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2016

@Icebox , @AlchimiaStudios , @Valan , @NimbleBug , @Socks,

I don't know how much weight Slant have in the app world, but I'd never heard of them before @Valan brought it to our attention. Anyway their entry about GS pissed me off, so I signed up and started posting Pro comments for GS. >:)

When you consider that Corona has only 17 Pros, Stencyl 44 Pros, Clickteam Fusion 182 Pros, Cocos 2D 106 Pros and Unity 180 Pros, with a community our size we could easily push GS up the list by adding more for it!

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@PhilipCC said:
    @Icebox , @AlchimiaStudios , @Valan , @NimbleBug , @Socks,

I don't know how much weight Slant have in the app world, but I'd never heard of them before @Valan brought it to our attention. Anyway their entry about GS pissed me off, so I signed up and started posting Pro comments for GS. >:)

When you consider that Corona has only 17 Pros, Stencyl 44 Pros, Clickteam Fusion 182 Pros, Cocos 2D 106 Pros and Unity 180 Pros, with a community our size we could easily push GS up the list by adding more for it!

Added a couple of pro's myself.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

What we need is a video on youtube showing GS games , thats one of the things i looked for before i started GS unfortunately i only found one game "my first game using GS template " i remember it had 70,000 views , someone must make a youtube video mixing good games made with GS and putting it out there.. these are available for other game engines you find a list of gameplay videos , a video with 10-100 games made with a certain engine , we need that too but i don't know if the developers were willing to have their games out there.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@Icebox said:
    What we need is a video on youtube showing GS games , thats one of the things i looked for before i started GS unfortunately i only found one game "my first game using GS template " i remember it had 70,000 views , someone must make a youtube video mixing good games made with GS and putting it out there.. these are available for other game engines you find a list of gameplay videos , a video with 10-100 games made with a certain engine , we need that too but i don't know if the developers were willing to have their games out there.

I always thought this was needed from GS too, and have the video on their featured games made with GameSalad page. A video at the top of the page showing highlights from some of the best games would sell a lot better than having to click through multiple pages and screenshots, back and forth to look at each game. I always look for these type of videos when looking for a new engine to work with.

I could probably stitch together some gameplay videos back to back in one clip but it wouldn't look half as professional as some of the other engines showcase videos.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@Icebox said:

Agreed.
    GS put together an impressive video for their Steam submission, I'm sure they could adapt that video for this purpose.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

I'm waiting for my project for a long time so which gs version has no shuttering issue? and which one should I use for good performance?

1.23.1? I remember that this version smooth. Is it correct?

Note: There is no specific date for 1.25 and I'm already running behind my schedule so I can't wait anymore.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@onelasttime said:
    I'm waiting for my project for a long time so which gs version has no shuttering issue? and which one should I use for good performance?

1.23.1? I remember that this version smooth. Is it correct?

Note: There is no specific date for 1.25 and I'm already running behind my schedule so I can't wait anymore.

1.23.1 was the last stable for me.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,318

@onelasttime said:

Have you actually confirmed your game experiences a stuttering issue? If so, be sure to send it to GameSalad along with detailed instructions on how to produce the stutter and where to look to see it.

The stutter isn't universal. Most games do not suffer from it.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@Armelline said:

@onelasttime said:

Have you actually confirmed your game experiences a stuttering issue? If so, be sure to send it to GameSalad along with detailed instructions on how to produce the stutter and where to look to see it.

The stutter isn't universal. Most games do not suffer from it.

Yes. If I reset the scene(%50), it disappears but my game has 63 ''difficult levels' so if I publish it, users will see this problem a lot whenever they replay.

Sure, I can prepare demo version of the game, after that I will send to gs team.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

GS is not going to be deleting the thread. We aren't in the habit of removing conversations just because we may not agree with all of the contents.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

I have stuttering issues in my games now, I find it is less if I reorganise where the camera actor sits within the layers, ie it's less prominent when sitting directory below the actor it is constrained to, but it is still there where as the last version it wasn't, this is a platformer game by the way.

@dgackey said:

GS is not going to be deleting the thread. We aren't in the habit of removing conversations just because we may not agree with all of the contents.

As @mhedges said, it's not censorship, you wouldn't be deleting something because you disagreed with opinions expressed, it's not censorship in that respect, it's that an atmosphere of (unfounded) uncertainty has been allowed to grow and there's a very real risk that it'll unfairly tarnish GameSalad's image.

As @Icebox has pointed out, there are already reviews sites that reference this very thread ("Lacking company leadership and no voice from corporate" . . . "GS is currently unstable and useless" and so on).

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

@dgackey said:

Exactly guys, if there was something doomsday worthy going on behind closed doors this thread would be the first thing deleted

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

All this will be forgotten when 1.25 comes out, the conversation will shift quickly.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@lycettebros said:
    All this will be forgotten when 1.25 comes out, the conversation will shift quickly.

I hope you right, i still like GS & when a stable version is out i will love it again :)

@lycettebros said:

Agreed, these things pass, but when 'all this' lasts for 5 months, that's still 5 months of 'all this' !!

Anyhow, enough of my opinions in this thread, I think I've said enough (perhaps too much as usual :) ) Bring on 1.25, I have a distinct feeling it will be a real move forward from what the beta testers are saying.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@Socks said:
    As @mhedges said, it's not censorship, you wouldn't be deleting something because you disagreed with opinions expressed, it's not censorship in that respect, it's that an atmosphere of (unfounded) uncertainty has been allowed to grow and there's a very real risk that it'll unfairly tarnish GameSalad's image.

Oh, I get the distinction (and appreciate you correctly pointing it out!) but I think that running a community where threads like this are killed would do a lot more to tarnish our image than this thread.

Best thing to do is openly and honestly respond, which we always try to do.

As @Icebox has pointed out, there are already reviews sites that reference this very thread ("Lacking company leadership and no voice from corporate" . . . "GS is currently unstable and useless" and so on).

For the record, I responded to that user on Slant, calling out the parts of his argument that were patently not true. It seems to me his argument can be boiled down to "it's taking too long and I don't like that", which is understandable but that's just how it is. As he has apparently moved on, it's a bit of a moot point anyway.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

edited April 2016

@dgackey said:
    Oh, I get the distinction (and appreciate you correctly pointing it out!) but I think that running a community where threads like this are killed would do a lot more to tarnish our image than this thread.

Agreed, as @AlchimiaStudios said there are certainly better solutions than simply removing a thread, but if it was a coin toss between a thread being deleted and month after month of the slow spread of the idea that GameSalad is a doomed vessel then I would - personally - have no issue killing off a thread (and of course explaining why to users), but as you probably already know my ability to delete threads is limited :P I honestly think a communicated / reasoned removal of a thread would be less damaging than allowing the forum's top post - for month after month - to be peppered with (mistaken) talk of doom and disaster is the better option.

No one has suggested this would be the basis for 'running a community', this is a straw man. If it needs pointing out, don't run your community along these lines for the reasons you give.

@dgackey said:
    Since GS not responding and taking this long on a build has caused users to get scared and declare an apocalypse, what do you envision would happen once the heavy handed silencing of the user base occurs? Probably not good either. Probably more user dissent honestly.

Yes, agreed, but again you've built a straw man. No one is arguing for a regime of 'heavy handed silencing of the user base', lol. :smiley:

@dgackey said:
    Best thing to do is openly and honestly respond, which we always try to do.

Agreed.

For the record, I responded to that user on Slant, calling out the parts of his argument that were patently not true. It seems to me his argument can be boiled down to "it's taking too long and I don't like that", which is understandable but that's just how it is. As he has apparently moved on, it's a bit of a moot point anyway.

I agree his arguments are spurious, but these reviews persist, so in that respect it's not really that much of a moot point (if the context is GS's perceived image), like you say he's moved on, but his opinion persists.

edited April 2016

@dgackey said:

@dgackey ,

I appreciate your response, and look forward to the release of v1.25 and continued success of GameSalad.

edited April 2016

@dgackey ,

I appreciate your response, and look forward to the release of v1.25 and continued success of GameSalad.

I got a distinct sense of "I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords" in that post !

lol . . .

[runs for cover] (and apologies for dragging you into my post ! :D)

@Socks said:

@dgackey ,

I got a distinct sense of "I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords" for than post !

lol . . .

[runs for cover]

LOL - No, not really. Dan posted a response, which is appreciated, so I thought I'd show a little courtesy. Judging from the response itself, it looks like the forum will stay quite democratic. Plus I'm really looking forward to 1.25 so I can port some apps to Android... :D

@mhedges said:
    LOL - No, not really. Dan posted a response, which is appreciated, so I thought I'd show a little courtesy. Judging from the response itself, it looks like the forum will stay quite democratic.

Damn democracy ! I'm all for the iron fist of fappscism (I can only apologise for attempting to mix 'fascism' and 'app').

@Socks ,

You're welcome. :p

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Currently I believe the only issue left to be finalized is the stuttering issue which they are digging into.

@mhedges said:
    @Socks ,

You're welcome. :p

Unless it's fappscism.doom I'm not interested.

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Currently I believe the only issue left to be finalized is the stuttering issue which they are digging into.

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

I understand they have 2 devs working on the 1.25 version for several months now but what happen to their communications? I don't want to start rumors of any sort but you have to wonder why there's no UPDATES.... No updates of any kind is never good.