New CEO Introduction

12345679»

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited June 2016

I really never have long loading times, it used to take long time to load but with the latest builds it really takes only 1-2 seconds . Even when i play games made with other game engines they load for 2-3 seconds, its the loading screen that makes the difference.But improvement is always good so its is awesome news indeed.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

@adent42 said:
    @blob So I can't speak to a definitive roadmap, since we're not planning far ahead (yet).

I will say that of the things you mention, loading time optimizations will likely be tackled first as it fits the "make your games better" criteria and benefits both audiences (we also have some initial work done there, though I don't know what state it's in).

With the rest of your list (and don't take this as gosphel as we haven't actually done the planning yet), I imagine Facebook would be next as we have a version of that code in a branch somewhere, just not well tested.

Google Play and Push notifications haven't even been touched yet, so those will be further down the road.

I personally would like to see push notifications as the first thing after load time optimizations, as it enables things like chat and makes turn based multiplayer a better experience (and again, push servers the better game criteria for all). I actually wanted to recreate the "Yo" chat app in GameSalad when it came out, but without push notifications, it wouldn't really work :)

I will conclude by saying that this all hinges on how soon we get through the work flow improvements (snap-to-grid, zoom, etc) as well as some long needed improvements to simplify the new user experience. We also have iOS and macOS compatibility updates to contend with and we'll still be watching http://bugs.gamesalad.com/ to see what users are voting for.

So whatever you find important, rally people around voting for it!

WOW THANK YOU, VERY, VERY MUCH. (fast answer too :) :D

That 's all many of us wanted to know.
    Many of us wondered if your team was still committed to eventually bring these features to us.
    To have it in writing from you, makes all the difference in the world.

Thank you for taking the time, I do think many more subscriptions will be renewed just because of your communication.!
    Thank you, @adent42

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060

@Armelline yah, unfortunately, it's a really thorny problem. I know @CodeWizard had looked at it some, but I'm not sure how far he got. Basically, if he got more than halfway there, it will likely be bumped up the list. If his approaches didn't work, then I'd bet that Facebook would move up that list. But remember, we also have all the stuff people are requesting on http://bugs.gamesalad.com, so we'll be taking that into account too. For instance, the top request is to allow expressions for sound. I imagine we may just knock that out since it's relative easy before any of this. The reason it's hard for us to do a roadmap is that we still need to take a breather and figure out how hard these things are.

In the case of loading time optimizations and memory leaks, a fix that may take 1-2 days of coding to make might require weeks to find!

So while I'm speculating on the list @blob asked for, there are any number of things that might be easier that we can sneak in to our builds.

(Hands out grains of salt).

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

I agree @blob, this was the post we have been waiting for, for the past 8 pages.

@adent42, with your post you cleared up a lot of questions.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

So what happened to the rabbit ?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@adent42 said:

Absolutely understood :D You'll never find any three people who agree with what should get priority anyway :D

• UncloudedStudioUncloudedStudio NetherlandsMember Posts: 285
    edited June 2016

@Socks said:

Super rabbit has your back

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@adent42 I like the new education focus GS is taking, it is a good fit. And from what I have read it sounds like the new CEO is the right guy to get it done. This has a much higher chance of working out than anything else I have seen since I have been here. For a long time the future of GameSalad wasn't looking very good now it is a lot brighter.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

@Socks said:

the rabbit is alive, hopping around, curious, sniffing around the classroom for some more carrots then coming back to us a little fatter for a hug.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@adent42 said:
    As a co-founder of the company I thought I'd chime in.

First off, I'd like to address where your subscription fees go. Yes, some of that goes to updates, but updates come in many forms. It's not just about new features. It's bug fixes, upkeep for ad network libraries, working on device compatibility issues, and OS compatibility. Remember, Apple throws us a curveball almost every year (this year, it's two curveballs with macOS and iOS 10). Android is a little better in one sense (the OS updates don't often break things), but we have to deal with the vast ecosystem of android devices.

And like any business, we have expenses: customer support (that speech bubble in the lower right has actual people sitting behind it!), servers to run publishing and to host these forums, and devices to test on (image if you had to buy every iPhone generation and major Android device to test with). Your subscription fees are working hard to keep this machine running!

Last year we decided to get back to basics. We’re not going to try to be everything to everyone.

Build an awesome tool to make game creation fun.
    Charge money for it.
    Crazy, right?

We make a good tool. If it's good enough for you, pay us. If it's not, you stop paying us, until we do a better job.

GameSalad's mission has always been to enable people to see that game development
    as something ANYONE can participate in. With education, we see a way to continue this
    mission and get GameSalad into as many hands as possible. The world, and the U.S. in
    particular, are pushing hard to ensure children are literate in computational thinking.

We were recently told by an educator: “There are very few things I’ve done as a teacher that makes students eyes light up like GameSalad does… The kid’s don’t give a damn about anything to do with coding, but they think [GameSalad] is awesome and they want to do more.”

For us, this is a huge opportunity to both follow our mission AND grow the business. Too often, children don't pursue a skill because they think it's "too hard". As you all know, GameSalad is ideal for getting over the blocks people have about how hard it is to program a computer. AND it's fun! AND they see that they can make REAL games with it. They see it in the apps you make and they see that apps they can make.

YOUR games are what inspire these kids.

So we're still going to build stuff that you need make your games great. We'll be working on helping you make great games first. Helping you make money on your games comes second, but it will happen.

What makes GameSalad special is how easy it is to use. Hiding unnecessary complexity, improving workflow, building features that allow deeper interaction and programming, these are core to our mission. If GameSalad is easier to use, faster to use, more fun to use, then everyone wins!

Ok - so I know you guys won't believe me, but he literally stole what I was going to say. So... :D

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

Thanks for the post @adent42

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@adent42 said:
    @Armelline yah, unfortunately, it's a really thorny problem. I know @CodeWizard had looked at it some, but I'm not sure how far he got. Basically, if he got more than halfway there, it will likely be bumped up the list. If his approaches didn't work, then I'd bet that Facebook would move up that list. But remember, we also have all the stuff people are requesting on http://bugs.gamesalad.com, so we'll be taking that into account too. For instance, the top request is to allow expressions for sound. I imagine we may just knock that out since it's relative easy before any of this. The reason it's hard for us to do a roadmap is that we still need to take a breather and figure out how hard these things are.

In the case of loading time optimizations and memory leaks, a fix that may take 1-2 days of coding to make might require weeks to find!

So while I'm speculating on the list @blob asked for, there are any number of things that might be easier that we can sneak in to our builds.

Thanks, that sounds promising.

I do wonder about Steam API integration/exe support. I know back about 2 years ago this was in the top 2-3 voted on. We were told it was coming and everyone switched there votes to other features, because it was said to be coming. Now we have 2-3 different requests spreading out the votes for what is essentially the same thing.

I know HTML5 allows some games to be ported. But I really would love for full Steam API support/controller support for windows/proper fullscreen support with the ability to quit an app, etc.

And HTML5 doesn't work for all games. Our game is 1.5gb and is bit too intensive for HTML5. But seeing it on Mac desktop and playing with a PS4/Xbox controller feels amazing, it's runs buttery smooth (same on mobile devices for the most part). But gamers don't really use MacOS like they do windows. So a large potential market is lost.

Anyway, I hope this is kept in mind, I know that most people can use HTML5 and it's easy to say to most that they do have an option to port to Steam. And I know it's not the easiest thing to implement. But I don't think i'm alone in this request.

Thanks for getting in this thread an clearing some things up for everyone.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

@AlchimiaStudios said:

And HTML5 doesn't work for all games. Our game is 1.5gb and is bit too intensive for HTML5. But seeing it on Mac desktop and playing with a PS4/Xbox controller feels amazing, it's runs buttery smooth (same on mobile devices for the most part). But gamers don't really use MacOS like they do windows. So a large potential market is lost.

Anyway, I hope this is kept in mind, I know that most people can use HTML5 and it's easy to say to most that they do have an option to port to Steam. And I know it's not the easiest thing to implement. But I don't think i'm alone in this request.

Thanks for getting in this thread an clearing some things up for everyone.

Not alone! I remember Dan saying it was coming in 2015 and getting real excited.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

Thanks @adent42 for the post.

I just want to ask you a very direct question as I think it gets to the root of my fears going forwards. Today I received the following email from Google Play:

'Hello Google Play Developer,
    We detected that your app(s) listed at the end of this email are using an unsafe version of the libpng library. Apps with vulnerabilities like this can expose users to risk of compromise and may be considered in violation of our Malicious Behavior policy.
    What’s happening
    Beginning September 17, 2016, Google Play will block publishing of any new apps or updates that use vulnerable versions of libpng. Your published APK version will not be affected, however any updates to the app will be blocked unless you address this vulnerability.'

This is obviously a very serious issue for developers as it will stop any future apps being accepted by Google Play, yet for educators it is irrelevant. So here is my question:

Can we still expect going forwards for issues like this to be fixed as a matter of high priority?

A direct and honest answer to this would be very much appreciated.

• marionwoodmarionwood Member, PRO Posts: 34

@Socks What happened to the rabbit?
    Driving into the desert with the aircon still working B)

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Thanks for your words, @adent42

I'm sure all the skeptics will take a break now (though I'm sure they will be back sooner or later). :tongue:

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060

@strag Since I don't see that issue in the bug database, that's the first we've heard about it (or at the very least, the first I've heard about it). Please create a ticket in the bug database and I'll be sure to bring it up with the team. This would definitely be the kind of thing we'd want to address.

@strag In terms of priority, I'd phrase it as "medium priority with a rising priority as the deadline approaches". Also, could you tell me what version of GS that app was made with. There's a chance that it's already addressed in a newer build, as we we periodically update libraries with new builds.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2016

@adent42 said:
    We also have iOS and macOS compatibility updates to contend with and we'll still be watching http://bugs.gamesalad.com/ to see what users are voting for.

So whatever you find important, rally people around voting for it!

@adent42 don't want to sound like a broken record but the last time I was a basic member I couldn't vote. Only Pro's could vote. Seemed like a two second fix that never got fixed. Maybe it has in the last few weeks my subscription has been on hold due to other commitments.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1623 (raised in February)

Thanks for the update/news with everything else though.

edited June 2016

@strag, I just went ahead and made a ticket. If you have a chance, add what version of GS the app that's been reported is using.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1718

edited June 2016

@adent42 (no skimming :) )

Every kid in education is going to want to see (and show) their project on an iPad (or iPhone/Android or other mobile device) that's the real deal for kids, turning their project into an actual real mobile app that they can hold in their hands, show to their friends and present in class.

But generally speaking GameSalad's viewer can't be loaded onto most school iPads as they are nearly always age restricted, I took one of my (8 year old) son's school iPads home to load GS viewer onto it so he could present his homework project, we simply couldn't get the GS viewer onto the iPad, we tried everything, eventually we worked out that the issue was that under 'Restrictions' the allowed app rating was set to 12+ . . . . and the GameSalad viewer is a 17+ app. We used my iPad in the end.

This issue doesn't just effect school iPads (and other school mobile devices which will be similarly restricted), lots of younger children have their own iPads these days, and they are universally set to bar adult films / websites / songs with explcit lyrics and age sensitive apps, we had a similar issue with my son's iPad mini and his friend's iPad mini, lots of futile attempts to get the viewer to download / update / work without realising that the viewer is 17+ and these devices are set much lower.

Now, I'm a GameSalad old timer (nearly 200 years, man and boy) so I didn't give up straight away, I persevered for a couple of hours at least, trying just about everything as there's nothing to indicate what you are doing wrong (outside of the 17+ rating in the App Store small print) . . . but I suspect most parents, when their kid comes home from school excitedly asking if they can download the GameSalad viewer, will give up a lot earlier and put it down to questionable software, I suspect the same will be true of teachers "great software but we couldn't get the iPad viewer thing to work".

Which is a pity as the viewer, and the way it's now distributed, is one of GameSalad's real strengths.

From what I understand the 17+ rating is to allow user data gathering (?), maybe there needs to be two GS viewers, one for education that can be loaded onto 'safe' devices that doesn't gather data (and so can be rated lower) and the standard one.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

@socks said-Which is a pity as the viewer, and the way it's now distributed, is one of GameSalad's real strengths.

I 100% agree with this!

Sadly it's because we allow the loading of arbitrary content and not data gathering.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

@adent42 Thank you very much for your clear posts above - it covers almost everything and gives me much more confidence. I like the educational angle if it brings on this kind of focus.

Keep up the great work and will probably renew my PRO membership because of this.

@adent42 said:
    Sadly it's because we allow the loading of arbitrary content and not data gathering.

I see, well at the least the issue should be made clear to educators so they can change the restriction settings on their devices for their classes, like I say as a long time GS user, and someone who has owned and used an iPad pretty much every day since the iPad 1 came out this issue completely stumped me, so I imagine teachers and students new to GameSalad might give up trying to get the viewer to work after half an hour of head scratching.

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278

thx @adent42 for responding to our questions, feels after months someone from GS is listening and answering to our feedback..

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

So if i understand right we will get the updates we need to continue release games, like SDKs etc etc ........ hopefully still pretty fast. well i will continue pay and use GS and hope some oldtimers coming back to.

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2016

@adent42 @ForumNinja I would like you give u a suggestion, people who have given so much of their time, videos and education like @Lost_Oasis_Games, @Braydon_SFX , @Hopscotch , @tatiang , @Socks , @RThurman @jonmulcahy , @jamie_c , @Armelline , @uptimistik , @UtopianGames , etc. give them permanent free pro member or a high discount package so that they can keep supporting the GS community as they have given so much to the community.. Or create a reward system to encourage them building the community!!