Heads up for 1.25 release

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Anyone can tell us how many known bugs are left ?? im patient but i really need to know .. it feels like this can drag on to another month or two , are there many left ? cause last update it was only framerate hitches and text rendering quality , based on the results from testers the text is now good , so are we left with the framerate hitches only ? or were there more bugs discovered that would lead to a delay , again i just want to know, i am not rushing or causing trouble here.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

They are working on the camera issue and a couple physics bugs, bugs in the ad system after updating to all the latest sdks. They had to drop one feature, the new run once, run sequentially, it needs to be rewritten so that is going to come after. @GeorgeGS is working his butt off to get things nailed down. @codewizard is working on the camera issue and @tant42 is tuning up the publishing system. Also you must remember that features must also be programmed into the publishing system and they are working on that as well.

• @Icebox Well I cannot say how many bugs are remaining as I just started beta testing but I did not find any bugs on creater right now except for framerate as they still need to improve it..

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Thanks for the update , couple of physics bugs , camera issue and bugs in ad system after updating , i hope they manage to solve them soon..

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited March 2016

:(
    Any news?
    I am eager to update specially the chartboost crash I really want to get rid of..
    it has a frequent effect on my app ratings while this is unsolved..

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

If fonts work now what's the possibility of having a vector art import? I would love to use vectors instead of pngs in some of my games, so good on memory and great for custom shapes etc that new game with the dog in it on the app store is all vector art!

@BigDave said:
    :(
    Any news?
    I am eager to update specially the chartboost crash I really want to get rid of..
    it has a frequent effect on my app ratings while this is unsolved..

Not going to be this week. Although they are making progress. A couple stubborn bugs we are trying to narrow down the cause. But they are down to the last couple. They want this build to be solid so it can be a good stable build to rely on going forward.

Take all the time needed I say! It's never finished anyways is it!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@jay2dx said:
    If fonts work now what's the possibility of having a vector art import? I would love to use vectors instead of pngs in some of my games, so good on memory and great for custom shapes etc that new game with the dog in it on the app store is all vector art!

Unfortunately, I don't think the custom fonts working brings vectors that much closer. The underlying way DisplayText works is pretty much the same as it ever was. Ultimately, the behavior is generating a rasterized image to display anything. That will erase any potential memory benefits -- on the contrary, if you think you are working with vectors and structure your project based on that, it might get you into trouble, overloading the memory fast and crashing the app.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@pHghost said:
    Unfortunately, I don't think the custom fonts working brings vectors that much closer. The underlying way DisplayText works is pretty much the same as it ever was. Ultimately, the behavior is generating a rasterized image to display anything.

This is something I brought up as idea a year or so ago, you can author your own fonts, to the required format, fairly easily, so it will be perfectly possible to use custom fonts to access vector images (I can confidently say that without knowing anything about the new font system other than what has already been said) . . . but like you say ultimately these vectors, like every other vector based image, will need to be raterized, and this will be the bottleneck, so yes you can effectively import vector art through a system that allows custom fonts, but it will likely offer no advantages over pre-raterized images, in fact I expect an overhead.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

So does the system rasterize the fonts image size based on the font size you choose in the behavior? Because that could have some interesting applications.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited March 2016

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    So does the system rasterize the fonts image size based on the font size you choose in the behavior? Because that could have some interesting applications.

Yes, that's what GameSalad appears to do, the rasterization process doesn't appear to be dynamic.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited March 2016

@AlchimiaStudios said:

Yes, that is what happens.

In the past, that's why you could get really ugly blurry text if you designed your app iPhone size and wanted to do a universal build -- scaled up it would look horrible on an iPad, even if all your other graphics were high resolution and looked all fine.

From 1.25 forward, it should be a bit more conscious of things like that and deliver sharper results in many more situations.

I see, Oh well looking forward to this build either way :) the game I mentioned is awesome everything is vectors and works great, over vectors I would actually prefer shader overlay abilities, I'm currently putting together a forum post to show people what they are and request it as a feature!

• jlvegajlvega Member, PRO Posts: 2

@Armelline said:

@GeorgeGS said:
    We have several people helping us to test the new version. The RC and Nightly versions were difficult to maintain and we really didn't get that much feedback from them usually. They also confused a lot of people that just didn't know what they were getting into when

Completely agree that the RC and nightly versions were unneeded. The headache from the different filenames alone was worth dropping it :D

Would love to see the Facebook integration make its way back into a build though!

It is on the list. Not something we will hold 1.25 up for but hopefully something we can track down after the initial release.

Excellent. Definitely not worth holding 1.25 for, but becoming a big issue with big games :D I have one that's a real drain to work on with the downtime involved just waiting for actors to load.

I just saw the Bug 560, please upvote the bug to increase the Facebook Integration release. regards! http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=560

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387

I just saw the Bug 560, please upvote the bug to increase the Facebook Integration release. regards! http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=560

Ensure that this doesn't take priority over the Google Play Services integration though, http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319

Without GPlay services you can't drive in people to make use of the Facebook features for half the users anyway...

• ETGgamesETGgames Member, PRO Posts: 190

so true, i would have integrated play services long before custom collisions and custom fonts, but ya know, life goes on

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@GeorgeGS , @Socks and @Lost_Oasis_Games et al: Could any of the 1.25 beta testers say if they are using El Capitan and whether there are any issues? As many have mentioned problems and slow performance with 1.24 and previous versions of GS on El Capitan I've been holding back from upgrading, but would like to soon for other reasons and other software.

• cannixcannix Member Posts: 36

4 months :o

@PhilipCC said:
    @GeorgeGS , @Socks and @Lost_Oasis_Games et al: Could any of the 1.25 beta testers say if they are using El Capitan and whether there are any issues? As many have mentioned problems and slow performance with 1.24 and previous versions of GS on El Capitan I've been holding back from upgrading, but would like to soon for other reasons and other software.

I'm not using El Capitan becuase of the USB audio issues. I wasn't happy with the softwares performance so I reverted back to Yosemite. Not sure when I will switch to it as Apple seems to be screwing up all the software lately even with iOS 9.3.

I can report we got a new test build and the squashed a bunch of bugs! One major bug was spotted with ads and airplane mode causing games to crash. It's very close though and a very good build.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited March 2016

PLEASE do not launch 1.25 before fixing this

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1644

it effects all my cookie clicker games / heavy table related games right now.

Leading to freeze displayed table values as well as ignoring conditions and breaking behaviours related to it.

It happens on the adhoc version 100% after the first screen change to another scene and coming back + a couple of seconds in. It never happens without the screen change.

I also have an actor ignoring table cell related conditions and stop functioning properly, that only appears after 3 screen changes. Which is reproducible on the adhoc as well as in the editor version.

I am also willing to send one of my clicker files with description how to trigger the issue or make a video what ever helps.

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119
    edited March 2016

I have fixed El Capitan (10.11.4 - all combo updates installed) performance issue (brutal random stuttering) by disabling auto brightness, lol. :smiley: Maybe this info could help someone. Working with GS is fast for me even with large project opened on iMac (late 2013). Using and testing GS 1.25.13 for now. Guys are doing really great job and progress. For example working with custom fonts is better than I have expected. ;-) I am looking for the stuttering/framerate/camera issue for now. I believe that CodeWizard will resolve that. ;-)

• myke66myke66 Member Posts: 74

@BigDave said:
    PLEASE do not launch 1.25 before fixing this

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1644

it effects all my cookie clicker games / heavy table related games right now.

Leading to freeze displayed table values as well as ignoring conditions and breaking behaviours related to it.

It happens on the adhoc version 100% after the first screen change to another scene and coming back + a couple of seconds in. It never happens without the screen change.

I also have an actor ignoring table cell related conditions and stop functioning properly, that only appears after 3 screen changes. Which is reproducible on the adhoc as well as in the editor version.

I am also willing to send one of my clicker files with description how to trigger the issue or make a video what ever helps.

From what I understand this issue has been fixed. This is a HUGE issue for my projects, so much that I have placed my account on hold until it is resolved.

If you contact support, they can test your game in the beta 1.25 client to see if it has been resolved. In the limited testing they did for me, it seems to be resolved. In the current version, the same thing happens to me where the variables and table cell values do not update after the first scene change or reset. But if you go back out and back in they start working again but break again shortly after.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@Bitvork said:
    I am looking for the stuttering/framerate/camera issue for now. I believe that CodeWizard will resolve that. ;-)

It isn't fix, yet? I'm just waiting for the fix of this problem.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@cannix said:

4 months wouldn't feel so long if the previous version wasn't so broken :(

But it seems like 1.25 will be a nice stable build, hopefully one we can use for the next 4 months+ !

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@AlchimiaStudios said:

@cannix said:

But it seems like 1.25 will be a nice stable build, hopefully one we can use for the next 4 months+ !

Exactly, new cool features is nice but a stable build is even greater.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

I tested a game adhoc today on 1.24.42. I was going to submit to apple but there is defiantly a stutter on play. I built with 13.33 but finished with 1.24. No stutter with the 13.33

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@AlchimiaStudios said:

@cannix said:

I'm hoping it will be released before my Pro runs out in April and I'd be happy to use a stable 1.25 for the next year! :)

• kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314
    edited April 2016

@gattoman yes,I also use this way test my game,0.13.33 performance is perfect,although It lacks some features.