Introducing GameSalad Direct

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Last week at GDC Online 2010, GameSalad announced a brand new publishing service for iOS games. We’re getting rid of annual fees and tiered memberships where some users get more functionality than others. With today’s announcement, GameSalad is now for everyone.

Introducing GameSalad Studio, which includes GameSalad Creator as well a redesigned GameSalad Viewer, and GameSalad Direct, the new publishing service. GameSalad Creator will remain entirely free to download, and now there’s no subscription or fees to pay unless creators choose to publish their games on iTunes. This new pricing structure lowers the barrier to entry even further for independent game developers, and also eliminates the need to have an Apple iPhone developer account. As part of this change to GameSalad Direct, there will no longer be Express or Pro accounts offered and everyone will get the full set of features that were previously available only to those with Pro-level memberships.

In 1982 Adobe freed desktop publishing from the age old print shops and ushered in the era of the graphic designer. We're doing the same for game designers. In 2009 we democratized game creation. In 2010, with the launch of GameSalad Direct, we're democratizing mobile game publishing.

To be clear, current users will have the option of publishing under the new or old system until their current accounts expire. We'll have a lot more details and news on the new GameSalad Studio in the days leading up to it's release. This is only the beginning.

Comments

• ZackGSZackGS Member Posts: 313
    Hmm...
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Knew it...
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Yodapollo said:
    eliminates the need to have an Apple iPhone developer account.

What?
    It certainly is NOT great news...GS will now get a cut of every game you sell..... so long and thanks for all the kernel panics.
  • UtopianGamesLtdUtopianGamesLtd Member Posts: 120
    A bit more info available here...rev share, cost per app etc.

http://woofeed.com/GameSalad-aims-to-let-anyone-create-and-launch-iPhone-apps/gamesbeat/venturebeat

Darren.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I'm assuming there will still be an option for people with their own dev accounts.
    jonmulcahy said:
    I'm assuming there will still be an option for people with their own dev accounts.

There had darn well better be.
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    jonmulcahy said:

i hope so cuz if not i just blew $200!
    Are you happy with a revenue split Tshirt?
    i still had membership for 7 MONTHS!!!
  • ZackGSZackGS Member Posts: 313
    Hmm thanks for the link Darren.

Maybe I reacted too quickly. Revenue share? Not sure I like the sound of that....
    design219 said:
    There had darn well better be.

I can't imagine they would alienate their most successful users. Those are the people who want an sdk, not a publish for me service.
    Maybe I am reacting to quickly as the Mods have known this for a while and I guess are happy with it, perhaps the deal is ok...maybe I should shut up...
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    " there’s no subscription or fees to pay unless creators choose to publish their games on iTunes"

be interesting to see what those subs will be!

Just to add my 2p (2c for the Americanists)

I can see why they are going with this model for 2 reasons.

1. It's a pretty constant revenue stream for GS
    2. "Game design for the rest of us"...even those who don't want to be faffed with setting up all the Apple stuff (which we all know from experience can be a bit of a pain in the arse even for the most technical amongst us)

Like I said above, it'll be interesting to see how much they will sting us for allowing us to publish our own games!

I'm assuming the worst, and expecting around what the Pro subscription used to be...which if that's the case, there will be a lot of unhappy campers round these parts I would guess.

"Game design for the rest of us...unless the rest of us want to be professional about it" ;o)
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    To be clear, current Express and Pro users will have the choice of publishing under the old or new system until their current accounts expire.
    Sparkyidr said:
    " there’s no subscription or fees to pay unless creators choose to publish their games on iTunes"

be interesting to see what those subs will be!

What are the Subscriptions fees!!!
    Rob2 said:
    Maybe I am reacting to quickly as the Mods have known this for a while and I guess are happy with it, perhaps the deal is ok...maybe I should shut up...

Well, I think the details need to be shared sooner than later. The only thing that scares me at the moment is the possibility that we loose our independent branding on apps. We've been working on a free promo app for a client for a number of months.
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    Not the greatest news, I hope they won't be charging for compiling an app if you still have time remaining on your membership. Also, 2 of my 3 apps haven't made much back at all, probably wouldn't cover the cost of compiling them! ( Im assuming it will be around $15-$20 to compile).

I think the choice of memberships would be good, a subscription or a per app fee.
    Yodapollo said:
    To be clear, current Express and Pro users will have the choice of publishing under the old or new system until their current accounts expire.

and then what happens?
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    oops, I was typing so didn't see the 2nd yellow post.
    sooo... when can we download this
  • aalzankiaalzanki Member Posts: 283
    So do we have to publish under GameSalad's name or we will still be able to publish under our own apple accounts?
    Oh, great, thanks for clearing that up!
  • tollhousestudiotollhousestudio Member Posts: 166
    This just doesnt sound right to me at all...

publishing under someone elses name is totally pointless for a developer. and sharing your profits, no way, this is going backwards!
    I think the revenue sharing is going to be great for new users starting out, but it's not for me. I'm very curious to get the full details which I hope comes very soon
    Thanks Tshirt
    @aalzani :

"no subscription or fees to pay unless creators choose to publish their games on iTunes."
  • aalzankiaalzanki Member Posts: 283
    tshirtbooth said:
    for now you can use your name and account. Once your membership expires you wil have to publish under gamesalads itunes account!

I hope they do it good :)
    Thanks
    It certainly explains all the secrecy... loads of us would have renewed our membership early.
    @TShirt

Have I missunderstood then? We will HAVE to publish via GS?
This discussion has been closed.