Comments

• RattleheadRattlehead Member Posts: 485
    The main site is back up.

www.gamesalad.com
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    tshirtbooth said:
    http://gamesalad.com/

something is happening

Well it definitely isn't 0.9.0 or 1.0.0 or 2010 or whatever. I click on the Download link and it's spitting 0.8.9 at me. :(
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    I can see the FTC knocking at GS's door.
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    Why would I want gs to b a publisher and market my games when they can't seem to communicate with it's developors
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    Sparkyidr said:
    "...also eliminates the need to have an Apple iPhone developer account..."

I wonder how Apple feel about this. Surely they will be losing revenue (or maybe it's such a small amount they don't care too much)

Thats a very good point... Unless Apple has a chair at the table? Maybee that why the rules got relaxed.
  • forkliftforklift Member Posts: 386
    Dear GS, don't bother updating your site again until you give us pricing details on the new tier and/or a software update. kthxbye
  • RattleheadRattlehead Member Posts: 485
    ???

http://gamesalad.com/products/creator

This still lists PRO level features.
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    iDeveloper said:

Not sure about that but i actually dont see apple being cool with a publisher having 1000s of apps under their single itunes account.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    iDeveloper said:

You know, we did a lot of discussion around here about ethics... and many of us acted admirably. Did Gendai Games act accordingly?
    jstrahan said:
    Why would I want gs to b a publisher and market my games when they can't seem to communicate with it's developors

I think it's part of a bigger change. Let's recap. New company name, new COO, new hires, new moderators, new publishing model. And, if I'm not mistaken, we'll likely be playing with a new version soon.

It's all turning around now. Not everyone was a success overnight.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Duplicate post.
  • inceptioninception Member Posts: 74
    jstrahan said:

Exactly right. How could they be good publishers if they can barely communicate effectively to a few members in their own forums.
    BeyondtheTech said:
    I think it's part of a bigger change. Let's recap. New company name, new COO, new hires, new moderators, new publishing model. And, if I'm not mistaken, we'll likely be playing with a new version soon.

There's just one problem with this. The company name is Gamesalad, and a very, very poor reputation is tagged with that name.

How can they market our games when their reputation is that poor?
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Also, until we have any concrete facts, all we are doing is our usual speculations etc etc.
    Come on guys.. spill it already.

on saying that, the fact that FMG is not on board is a worry isn't it.
    And a lot of GOOD developers will be jumping ship, and they will be left with the majority of crap developers.

No good publisher would want to agree with this plan, or at least very few will.

The BEST thing about PRO was the fact that you could remove that splash screen.
    Wow... heh... this makes me wonder about NYC. If everyone there knew about this, it must have been a pretty intense conversation.
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    BeyondtheTech said:

But still the whole model does not really put me in mind of professional developers. No brand, no publishing rights, quick submissions, simple, fast, cheap per app payments. What it suggests is kids and beginners.

Quality games under the GS logo, I really don't think that's what they are going for.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    inception said:
    Exactly right. How could they be good publishers if they can barely communicate effectively to a few members in their own forums.

New regime from now on though..

A new COO

A new broom sweeps clean etc etc.

I'm willing to give the new regime the benefit of the doubt re: communications. Although so far, so much the same.
    They're not going to get quality games under the GS logo with this new plan. Big developers who have built a brand will leave.

I personally have an LLC, my own website, and have spent over a year now building my own brand. I'm in no way EVER giving that up to Gamesalad nor anyone for that matter.
  • DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    Kind of wished I had bought that £99 membership....black market it anyone? :L

On a serious note I have to agree that their current membership scheme was not going to make any serious money. Taking a cut is just about acceptable if im feeling generous...

But making everyone publish under the same "username" is never going to work. People like Tshirtbooth or FMG games are going to be scores better than the majority of the people here. Unless Gendai only accept good apps and have their own reviewal system it's never going to work...

Cheers :)
    I will sweat, and work day and night to learn another program before succumbing to this. There will also be alternatives in the future, and this model will not hold up when competition comes in.
  • DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    btw most users ever online??
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Design219 said:
    "HOLY GOD! As a paid pro member, I sure they had given me a heads up a month ago."

I don't think it was because I have a Pro account. I had signed an NDA with them a long time ago to discuss various business opportunities.

Believe me, I WISH they called you instead of me! My last few weeks would have been much better!
    tshirtbooth said:
    @BeyondtheTech its not the full change we are all afraid of. In fact i think most of us can live with All the changes BUT one. Its publishing under the GameSalad account we are all up in arms about.

Its hard to give up so much control. I think a lot of people will be jumping ship after there membership expires.

Its a shame.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really go looking for Chillingo games, just as much as I don't look in the theaters for Paramount movies.

So, how do I pick out a game to buy?

I look on the Top Categories and New & Noteworthy lists.
    I remember the name of the game.
    I remember the screenshots.
    I remember the YouTube videos.
    I remember the reviews on all the blog sites.

Who do you think is behind all that? The publisher.
    I actually think GameSalad Direct is cool, for beginners. GameSalad Pro shouldn't go away though. Otherwise, the Professional developers go away too.

It is "Game development for the rest of us" ...that implies the kiddie table of game development. The pros are not "the rest of us"... they're pros and they should use pro software... like Unity and Corona.

If that's the business decision for Gendai Games, it sorta makes sense. It would set them apart from their competitors. However, without a Pro option, it will likely be losing a lot of customers in the process.
    Photics said:
    I actually think GameSalad Direct is cool, for beginners. GameSalad Pro shouldn't go away though. Otherwise, the Professional developers go away too.

It is "Game development for the rest of us" ...that implies the kiddie table of game development. The pros are not "the rest of us"... they're pros and they should use pro software... like Unity and Corona.

If that's the business decision for Gendai Games, it sorta makes sense. It would set them apart from their competitors. However, without a Pro option, it will likely be losing a lot of customers in the process.

Yup, which is why I'm hoping they will add a PRO option in the future, or they will lose me.
    butterbean said:
    Yup, which is why I'm hoping they will add a PRO option in the future, or they will lose me.

Heh, but that's just more waiting. I can't sit around forever, waiting for Gendai Games to come to their senses. Corona and Unity works. It's frustrating to learn new software, but this drama is also frustrating. The difference is that learning new software is a good thing.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

:(

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• WarlockWarlock Member Posts: 66
    This morning I woke up to no electricity, due to a lightning storm last night. First thing I did was go to the GameSalad forum, once the power was back up. I read the changes. And now I wish my power would go back out.
    Ha... it seems a lot of you are clicking the GameSalad to Corona conversions link. I should probably make that 404 error page real :)
This discussion has been closed.