Introducing GameSalad Direct

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    It is about money... and the new plan is a great way to make money... if you don't have an Apple developer registration. The problem is for the professional developers. If you have a game that's going to make $10,000... do you want to share $2500 with Gendai Games? You could pay a freelancer to make a game in Unity for you at those prices.

...but it's not just about money. I'm building a brand and I like my business name. I'm not looking for a publisher.
  • tollhousestudiotollhousestudio Member Posts: 166
    hahaa i shoulda said that you can take my money line! Im Scottish ffs.

Damn, should have thought of that one.
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Come on rocket pack and game maker until then I'll try to get out as many good games and update any old ones
  • hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    "The goal is to remove barriers to entry for making games, just as YouTube lowered the barriers for creating and uploading user-generated videos."

This could be a bad thing, there is a lot of **** on youtube.
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    I would not be suprised if GS has sweetned up the big folkes with a tester sweetner like ill take your new app and market it and promise I will not take the full % to prove that this can work, just between you and me lol
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Photics said:
    It is about money... and the new plan is a great way to make money... if you don't have an Apple developer registration. The problem is for the professional developers. If you have a game that's going to make $10,000... do you want to share $2500 with Gendai Games? You could pay a freelancer to make a game in Unity for you at those prices.

Very good point Photics. This is another reason why this new plan just doesn't make sense.

I'd much rather outsource my programming, and pay 2K for an app to be created, AND keep my independence, than hand that much money over to them.

And I've chatted with a developer that has been very successful at doing this.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    AppChogie said:
    I would not be suprised if GS has sweetned up the big folkes with a tester sweetner like ill take your new app and market it and promise I will not take the full % to prove that this can work, just between you and me lol

and I thought "I" was the cynical one ;o)
  • WarlockWarlock Member Posts: 66
    I've spent decades building my company brand. No way on this planet I'm going to not have games under my company banner. The revenue sharing, I can deal with. Being published by someone else. Deal breaker. Let us pay a slightly higher publishing fee to use our own splash screen and to publish under our company name.

Man my face hurts now.
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    ooh..just got mail..new Corona Game edition released today...
    Heh... I like how Yodapollo comes on the forums like Professor Farnsworth... "GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, IT'S A SUPPOSITORY."

Didn't they realize that the community would have a problem with this? From what Firemaplegames posted — yes — they knew. And yet, they're doing it anyway.
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    I think this thread is breaking the post per minute record I can't read fast enough
  • 777ideas.com777ideas.com Member, PRO Posts: 895
    Does corona have gui
    Rob2 said:

same here lol
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Warlock said:
    Man my face hurts now.

Same here.
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Its not about community anymore..just about the bucks..
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    On side note, LOL at the tags: doom [×] GameSalad Direct [×] gloom [×] nihilistic futility of existence [×].

Look, I'm not entirely happy either. I mean, Apple is already taking 30%, and the government takes a chunk of that at the end of the year, too. How can we accept another cut in our revenue?

Then, you have to ask. What revenue?

I'm making an average of $600 per month worldwide. That translates to a dozen sales per day. It's nice chump change, but nowhere near to what I'm hoping to get. I've emailed every Star Trek fan website for my Archangel games, handed out free promo codes, but I couldn't get one editor to publish so much as a game review, blog post, or a blurb on their website. My tip calculator has scored over $3,000 in one month. And that's a damn tip calculator in a field of two hundred at the time, some of them free!

I need a publisher. I need to make better games. I need to know I have a better set of eyes looking at my game, looking out for my best interest, because it's in their best interest. If that's worth a small price to pay, then I'm all for the change.
    tshirtbooth said:
    I have offered up Mini cannon to them as a test and i can tell you this. They will be taking there cut!

I will keep everyone posted on how they do with the marketing of Mini Cannon.

I'm assuming you are not allowed to tell us what the % cut is?
  • inceptioninception Member Posts: 74
    Rob2 said:

I also found that extremely ironic that I got that announcement email the moment I started reading this thread.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    tshirtbooth said:
    @design219 ... its not gonna screw us all. Just 5% of us.

to be honest, myself, firemaple, butterbean and utopia will be the most effected. We are set to loose 1000's and our brand.

We'll we got in to make free apps for clients. As I said earlier, the one we're working on now, and have been for months, is going to the trash if this is not modified to help us out.

It's not the money for us... it's worse.
    GS is like a Samiad post info and disapear they should not release information untill after a press release.
  • 777ideas.com777ideas.com Member, PRO Posts: 895
    So does cornoa have GUI
    Photics said:
    Heh... I like how Yodapollo comes on the forums like Professor Farnsworth... "GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, IT'S A SUPPOSITORY."

Didn't they realize that the community would have a problem with this? From what Firemaplegames posted — yes — they knew. And yet, they're doing it anyway.

LOL Very well said. If they didn't have any clue that people were going to be upset about this, then they're clueless.

I'm hoping that down the road, they will come to their senses, and either rethink this plan, or give us options to buy out the license at a higher price, and give us the ability to publish apps on our own, and we get to keep our commissions too.
    @BeyondtheTech

The problem (at this moment in time) with GameSalad as a publisher, is that their rep just isn't great in the real world.

It was only a few weeks ago, when TA reviewed Bumps, and started the review by saying (I paraphrase)...
    "I don't normally play GS games, because they are a bit rubbish"

They have a lot to prove to get rid of that tarnished image.

I totally get your point

60% of something is a whole load better than 100% of nothing. But so far, there is nothing there to show that it still wont be 60% of nothing!
    tshirtbooth said:
    http://gamesalad.com/

something is happening

"Comments are currently closed."

I bet ;)
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    @TSB

Sorry but there is no way they will do the same with mini cannon as they would for everyone when this gets going. This will just be a 'look what we can do for your game' PR exercise.

Are they really going to throw the same weight behind the 1000 doodle bubble shoot em up games? of course not. This test will prove nothing, though you might do ok out of it if they actually do you some free promo.
    @Sparkyidr: That's so true.

Reputation is EVERYTHING in marketing.

They don't have that, and are in the negative as far as I'm concerned.

You can't just wake up one day and decide to be a publisher. It can take years of work, and there is so much to it.

I don't even know where to begin with this.....

I personally, if I had to go with a publisher, would go with someone reputable, and someone whom I know could market my apps.

Chillingo is one. Gamesalad is not.
    "...also eliminates the need to have an Apple iPhone developer account..."

I wonder how Apple feel about this. Surely they will be losing revenue (or maybe it's such a small amount they don't care too much)
  • hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    Feels like update.

Edit: Guess not.
    Thanks Gendai Games. This opens a new business opportunity... GameSalad to Corona conversions. Wow, I'm going to be rich! (All I have to do is learn how to use the software. HA HA!)
    I don't think anyone sets out to make a "bad" game...Or a bad movie, or a bad TV show....but we all know they exist!
This discussion has been closed.