Introducing GameSalad Direct

Comments

• FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
    tshirtbooth said:
    for now you can use your name and account. Once your membership expires you wil have to publish under gamesalads itunes account!

That is not cool. I could deal with revenue sharing, but not having my apps under my own account could be a dealbreaker. I'll wait until the full details are out. I'm hoping there's an option to pay $2000 (or whatever per year...or some amount per app) to publish it yourself.
  • tollhousestudiotollhousestudio Member Posts: 166
    yeah instead of renewing our memberships I can see a lot of people not bothering to when it runs out.

GS had their ethos in perfect check before. but now taking away from a developers right to have his name on something and also taking a percentage.
    Its now a bloody credit agreement and not a building tool.

This is going to dent the more loyal customers of GS.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I love gamesalad, but being forced to publish under their name is a deal breaker for me. I work too hard by myself to publish under someone else.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    @tshirt, thanks for clarifying that man.

But, wow. That's quite possibly the worst news ever for me personally.
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    rofl....this is gonna be great....loads of people start to beg to pay the $2k...
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    That's really bad news.

What we lose:

- our own independence as iOS developers.
    - ability to publish unlimited games for $99
    - our line of contact with apple
    - revenue %
    - ability to have a pro account and remove all traces of GS branding
    - own brand identity (which helps customers to buy our other games)
    - itunesconnect facilities

What we gain:

- ?

Now all apps will be put in the same basket as people's republished template crap, great. And with this new easy way of publishing and increased marketing which way do you think the quality of GS games is gonna go?
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    I can see why they have to do it, as 99$ a year from most people isn't going to keep the company afloat, but still, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    @jon sorry my post crossed yours...I do understand how you must feel
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    @Stus
    You final point worries me too.

If they are just going to let anything go through and be published, that means in theory, my game that I spent months working on, will be sitting right next to some rehashed template.
    With all the same branding.

not cool
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    StusApps said:
    Now all apps will be put in the same basket as people's republished template crap, great.

Good point. Will GS screen what is listed under their name? We all know that Apple lets just about anything in, even after saying they wont.
    At least we should get all the pro behaviors at some point. Hopefully before my account expires!
  • RattleheadRattlehead Member Posts: 485
    tshirtbooth said:
    for now you can use your name and account. Once your membership expires you wil have to publish under gamesalads itunes account!

Hmmm... at least GameSalad won't force me to work tonnes of overtime like EA would. I am kind of concerned about losing branding. No offence to GS but it is not like they have a brand built up and it would exacerbate the whole issue that a lot of people have when they see games start up with the GS logo.
    StusApps said:

Now all apps will be put in the same basket as people's republished template crap, great. And with this new easy way of publishing and increased marketing which way do you think the quality of GS games is gonna go?

That is a concern, as in the column in itunes for other apps by this developer, it won't even be promoting your own games!
  • ZackGSZackGS Member Posts: 313
    As much as I love gamesalad, I am really hoping an alternative comes out now.

The not being able to publish under your own credentials is absurd to be honest
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    Rob2 said:
    rofl....this is gonna be great....loads of people start to beg to pay the $2k...

I was thinking the same thing lol, I can understand why they are doing it but the business model is in their favour not the small indipendent developer as gamesalad now becomes a open publisher and watch this space....

Is that a dark cloud outside my window?..
  • tollhousestudiotollhousestudio Member Posts: 166
    the main problem with unifying all ups under one name is and Im sorry to say this but the people who develop really really bad games.
    there is far more, ok game and bad games than fantastic games made with GS. Thats a normal situation for such an easy to use publishing program.

There are already screeds of GS hating app buyers and now its gonna tar all developers with the same brush.

I buy any donut game I like the sound of because generally they are a good game, and they have gave away amazing free games to raise their identity.

So we arent allowed to do this anymore?? POINTLESS!
    With no amount of spin can this be seen as a good move for existing members. They knew this, therefore the secrecy.
    You will be able to give away free games with links directly to your paid game. But, yeah kinda sucks...
  • LordTarantorLordTarantor Member, PRO Posts: 890
    OMG, I am really starting to hate this... In order to clarify the mystery you just get into that mystery. Its like the tv show Lost... When you think you are going to know what happens you end up with more questions and without even answering the beginning question.
    I couldn't do anything like this before I met GS and yesterday I submit my 2nd app so right now for that I am in GS love mode.
    So what I am saying is I don't care is you want part of my revenues I will gladly pay for that and I even pay more for better communication and UPDATE PLEASE...
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Wow, this sounds bad. So now you cant build your own brand? Have to find another game creator now:( If this ment they had some sort of quality assurance for relalesed apps, then this might work. But I doubt it...
    Will we even be able to request promo codes? I hope so, as that would be a joke if not.

Maybe Gamesalad will have their own review / rating system and post games under different accounts depending on quality? Im not saying mine are great, but they certainly aren't rehashed templates.
    Well, maybe the
    tshirtbooth said:
    This was and still is a BIG concern for me! I dont want to be lumped in with some of the other not so good games made with gamesalad.

Well, maybe the next step GameSalad will take will be to start vetting apps so indies can work on their games for months on end to finally have it shelved due to quality concerns.
    hehe, you know what the funniest part of this will be. That the software makes little improvement in this new version and THIS is the big part of the changes.
    StusApps said:
    hehe, you know what the funniest part of this will be. That the software makes little improvement in this new version and THIS is the big part of the changes.

Actually... not so funny. :|
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    If we dont publish under our own account that also means no promo codes, no price changes, no download reports, no monthly direct deposit payments from apple.

The people who actuall make the games that generate money are not going to be down for this. GS is going to have thousands of tap to destroy games. My brand isnt anything special, but it's mine and I'm not going to share it.
    Here's what I think is the biggest flaw in this pricing structure. It is likely to drive away the best developers. This has a domino effect. How many of us would have made games at a the quality we are currently capable of without video tutorials and demos from TSB, FMG, ORBZ, etc.? I know my games would suck without those guys and the amazing resources they have donated free of charge. In fact, I doubt I would have even bought the express without the help I got from the best GS programmers. So this system will drive them away leaving the less experienced members with no one to turn to.

Please give us the $2000 pro option, Gendai! I don't want to lose the best members of this community!!!!!!!!
    This is simple for me when my subscription expires I will cease using GS unless the business model changes no matter how much effort and passion we have put into building up the community. I am a fanboy but business is business.

We are now all GS freelance employees!!

I will start to explore the competition.
    just a thought will Apple still take 30% from GS and then they pay us less their cut?
  • FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
    tshirtbooth said:
    @tollhousestudio i agree, however ... as it was there was no way gamesalad could continue on 99.00 memberships. If we want this tool they need to make more money. I do agree that there should still be the option of pro for 2K where we can publish ourself.

cheers

Even if not the 2k option, I'd be more than happy to pay an extra $xx PER APP to publish it under my company name.

I mean, the majority of apps hardly make money anyways, so GS could come out ahead from devs willing to pay per app rather than them taking a cut of $0 - $4 / day under the GS iTunes account.

Right now I'm just glad I know xcode, but really hope GS is still a viable option going forwards - as I don't have the time to make the games I have in my head, in xcode.
    jonmulcahy said:
    If we dont publish under our own account that also means no promo codes, no price changes, no download reports, no monthly direct deposit payments from apple.

Very good point. Would you trust the people at Gendai to stick to monthly payment deadlines, not so sure I would.

What if they go bankrupt? That's a serious concern with small startups.
This discussion has been closed.