Introducing GameSalad Direct

Comments

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    @tshirt
    I think he was just being facetious.
  • tollhousestudiotollhousestudio Member Posts: 166
    jonmulcahy said:
    My brand isnt anything special, but it's mine and I'm not going to share it.

Never a truer word said.
    We took the time to learn, We pay our fees for the right to publish, we earned that right to have our own brand, good or bad, its ours.

Sorry but I cant see a positive in this for existing developers, new guys yes, it makes it a lazy publishing tool... frankly I am not interested in that
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    jonmulcahy said:
    If we dont publish under our own account that also means no promo codes, no price changes, no download reports, no monthly direct deposit payments from apple.

The people who actuall make the games that generate money are not going to be down for this. GS is going to have thousands of tap to destroy games. My brand isnt anything special, but it's mine and I'm not going to share it.

Precisely...half the fun of being an Indie Dev is gone...
  • JelJel Member Posts: 319
    * For me personally I'm not that upset about a review cut so long as it's not to high. I take it that's on top of Apples 30% ?

* Will there still be a GS Splash Screen ?

* Will there be a GS store within the iTunes Store is that how it's going to work ? If so how will searching for an app work ?

* If it means that this is the only way to keep GS going then so be it.
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    tshirtbooth said:
    ?? how do you know the new version has little improvements?

I don't, suggesting that that would be the icing on the cake.

TSB, I respect you lots for what you do in this community and for your games. But really this move is all bad. Someone tell me what the positives are for existing members who are nearing the end of their subscription (especially the pro ones)?
    It seems to me that GS has ridden on the backs of all your 'indie dev success' headlines and now THEY are going to reap the rewards....
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    unfortunatly if this is a success for gamesalad I think game maker will adopt a similar business model when the time comes. Although I have got 7 months membership left so I will see how it goes before jumping ship!
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    scitunes said:
    I know my games would suck without those guys and the amazing resources they have donated free of charge. In fact, I doubt I would have even bought the express without the help I got from the best GS programmers. So this system will drive them away leaving the less experienced members with no one to turn to.

You know, I'll still be here. And once we get done with this release, I can concentrate on providing more tech support. :p

Edited to sound less bleh.
    @Stus

This is really great for new customers...which as a business they are going to need in as large a number as poss.

For the rest of us who have been here a while, it's really not the best news at all.
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Yodapollo said:
    To be clear, current Express and Pro users will have the choice of publishing under the old or new system until their current accounts expire.

Gues I need to blast out some games then
    tshirtbooth said:
    From what i understand you will have access to ALLL your apps info, reports, promo codes you even get to change your release dates and pull the app from the store if you want.

Presumably through a GS system...NOT the Apple one
    CodeMonkey said:
    You know, I'll still be here. And once we get done with this release, I can concentrate on providing all the tech support you all need. :p

Way to value some of our top developers!
    They really need to start telling us specifics sooner rather than later.
    Because....as usual....we are now all guessing and second guessing what's going to happen, or not happen, and when, and how.
    StusApps said:
    Way to value some of our top developers!

lol.. I was thinking the same.
    @Stus be gentle...they are only just learning the communication thing
    Yeah the fact there is no figures and details of the cut they want to take, and the unified name is ridiculous!
    The guessing games begin again.
    To be honest, there are other developing platforms that at least get a clear view of what the hell is going on!
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    TB Said "I do not want to have my games lumped in with doodle zombie pong from angry birdsville."

Best quote ever

TBH I will cancle my last posts and wait to a pricing guide before I make judgement I owe GS that.

Keith
    tshirtbooth said:
    Hmm, not happy with this response. :(

I was thinking the same almost your not needed lol
  • gigafragengigafragen Member Posts: 1
    Bad move Gendai... Disappointed Disappointed...
    Gendai doesn't exist

We are under the new rulership of Gamesald remember...and they are a harsh master it would seem so far :o)
    tshirtbooth said:
    @StusApps man i know what your saying TRUST me! And i felt the same way when i heard it. Then every day that passed i warmed up to it. And ill tell you why.

Well perhaps if they share some more of the details with everyone that might help. They are obviously sharing info with some members and not other. This 2 tier member system that has grown out of a genuine request for moderators is a shame as well.
    TSB I agree we need them and they need us. I really do agree with that...
    but!... there are other programs on the market either using code or soon to be visual editors that most will turn to.

I will personally because I stuck with GS cos I had respect for the ethos. Take that away, my loyalties dont exist and I will find the tools that will allow me to do my job the way I want it done.

I know code and have made a lot of money coding normal apps and not games. GS for me was just a quicker way of doing it. But its not a rocket ship, it is lacking so much. Most of the games that are put out there have to be stripped back to perform well.

Thats fair as long as you still have all the perks. again, take them away and then there is no point.
  • ZackGSZackGS Member Posts: 313
    Really this is what needs to happen.

Screw the business model and all the other crap. The priority for the GameSalad team should be working on CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Rather than playing mind games with us all, and forcing us to hit refresh on our browsers every two minutes "praying for news", they should stop the BS and just start explaining whats going on, and stop with the guessing games.

It is highly frustrating and even childish. Even if they come up with the greatest business model known to man, without customer service they are not going to get anywhere.

The current customer service is a laughing stock to be honest.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, I do love GameSalad but it had to be said.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    tshirtbooth said:
    Hmm, not happy with this response. :(

I didn't mean it that way. I do value yours and everyone's extreme helpfulness around here. Plus there a lot of things that I wouldn't have thought of doing.
    But I'll be back in the saddle helping you help them.

Yes, I'm from Texas. No I'm not on a horse.
    StusApps said:
    This 2 tier member system that has grown out of a genuine request for moderators is a shame as well.

+1
  • inceptioninception Member Posts: 74
    The negative publicity games were getting from the GameSalad splash screen will be nothing compared to being uploaded by the one account.

It is just a fact that there are really only a handfull of good developers here; the majority of us are still learning and are not at the same level.

Unless there is an option to publish independently, this is a huge mistake. I don't mind sharing revenue (or paying per game etc), but this is one step too far.
    tshirtbooth said:
    Stusapps, its not like that. Most companies talk with the the people that will be most effected by a change before making the change. So they can get an idea from the outside. No sense in talking to everyone and getting everyone mad in case they make changes.

or...with my cynical head on....If they wanted to get some people from the community to be seen to be "on board" with the changes.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    where's FMG?
  • ct.ceismcct.ceismc Member Posts: 14
    Not at all what I imagined all of the secrecy was about. Disappointing to say the least! What about ad-hoc distributions for testing and local use?
This discussion has been closed.