GameSalad 2011 Roadmap

Comments

• ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    Photics said:
    This is what separates GameSalad from being good software and being GREAT software.

The ability to export to HTML 5, without a GameSalad logo or files hosted on GameSalad.com, would make "Project Masala" a viable alternative to Flash.

it would also encourage more sign-up to the pro membership.
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    ultima said:
    it would also encourage more sign-up to the pro membership.

Though it won't happen. Us having the source of our games = easier conversion to other code-based SDKs = $$$ loss for GS. (free members asking pros to export projects to HTML5)
    true, but you only have to worry about conversion when your platform is not compelling enough for members to stay. I think its more important to focus on making a platform attractive than worry about people leaving. on the other hand, nothing wrong with a little healthy competition, it gets the gear going, and improvements coming.
  • SlowboySlowboy Member, PRO Posts: 329
    tenrdrmer said:
    http://gamesalad.com/corporate/roadmap/

You dont have to read 6 pages to see the road map. Just click the link.

Thanks, yeah, did that, and didn't see grid on there. Was wondering if anyone had asked in the previous 6 pages!
    How can GS still be missing a grid????
    we need something better than a grid.. items are already kind of snapping to a "grid" anyway. we need rulers+guides. and perhaps an info menu that reads out the current xy of the actor.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    iDeveloper said:
    Though it won't happen. Us having the source of our games = easier conversion to other code-based SDKs = $$$ loss for GS. (free members asking pros to export projects to HTML5)

1 - I think that might be a violation of the license agreement. At least, that's what I was told by GameSalad. I'm not suppose to reverse-engineer GameSalad. Otherwise, I could just port all of my GameSalad games to Corona with a converter. The same restriction could apply to HTML 5 code. Although, customizations for personal use — and not redistribution to third parties — should be allowed. I think it's a mistake by GameSalad to keep the code so closed. If we could make and share customizations, it might actually strengthen the community... like what if we could write and share our own behaviors?!

2 - People use GameSalad because they don't want to code. Does Dreamweaver become less valuable because I can see the HTML code it creates?

3 - Maybe they should get away from the subscription model. Pixelmator has done well on the Mac App Store. I think GameSalad would be more popular if you could build games locally and it wasn't subscription based. Pixelmator is like $30-$60 and it grossed a million dollars in 20 days...

http://photics.com/pixelmator-a-successful-alternative-to-adobe-photoshop

If GameSalad could export HTML 5 code without GameSalad branding... and was a regular (not subscription) application... I think it would be more appealing to a larger audience... even beyond gaming!

Look at the alternative... if GameSalad doesn't do this, it leaves opportunity for competitors.
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    Photics, you always have a brilliant idea to improve GameSalad :D I just hope they listen. Being able to export to Xcode, then publish. Being able to add your own behavior. Maybe in GameSalad there should be a behavior called custom code, where you put your own code. This way, GameSalad is never behind Xcode, or any other SDK! It's easy, but if you want to extend it, you should have the ability.

Matt
  • youngster9youngster9 Member Posts: 326
    I think Matt is right some people who want a specific bit of code can go to a Library and copy the code so that they can use it in their projects. The custom code would not be used for the whole project but for a couple things. I think it is a great idea and would be easy to implement too. This is a great idea please look into it Gamesalad.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I dont think you guys understand How extremely difficult that would be. They planned on something like that when they Started but have since abandoned that plan. I would assume because they found it nearly impossible. Guys GameSalad does not want to hold you back but they do want everything they provide to work properly. So getting advanced stuff to work takes A lot of time. Just be patient with them.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    youngster9 said:
    . I think it is a great idea and would be easy to implement too.

if its so "easy to implement" why don't you code your own drag and drop engine and then code in a custom code behavior?

didn't think so, cause u cant code. Be happy gamesalads here in the first place cause 99.9% of the people that are complaining wouldn't be making games if it wasn't for gamesalad
    not able to log into my account, is GS secretly updating the fixes? following the tradition of apple haha.
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    if its so "easy to implement" why don't you code your own drag and drop engine and then code in a custom code behavior?

It's because I agreed not to reverse-engineer GameSalad software. Otherwise, I could be making a lot of money with converter software.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    JohnPapiomitis said:

didn't think so, cause u cant code. Be happy gamesalads here in the first place cause 99.9% of the people that are complaining wouldn't be making games if it wasn't for gamesalad

I can't find the original thread, but someone was talking big about how they were building something like that :) they named the software and everyhing!
    Be happy gamesalads here in the first place cause 99.9% of the people that are complaining wouldn't be making games if it wasn't for gamesalad

true to that. but on the other hand gamesalad wouldn't be here if it weren't for all of us pro members who's willing to fork over our hard earn money because we believe in what they do. It goes both ways. GS isn't exactly a charity. But yes I agree completely, i wouldn't have the confidence to even think about switching to code completely if it weren't for GS that allowed quick prototype to happen to show that it's really possible.
    jonmulcahy said:
    I can't find the original thread, but someone was talking big about how they were building something like that :) they named the software and everyhing!

You mean the AnimusXEngine?
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=9407 LMAO I can't believe I defended that guy from all the hate.
    ultima said:
    but on the other hand gamesalad wouldn't be here if it weren't for all of us pro members who's willing to fork over our hard earn money because we believe in what they do.

Where have they failed to hold up their end of the Deal? It would make sense that everyone would be pissed if the came in with another GameSalad Direct debacle but they are making progress. They have laid out their targets for each quarter of the year and have done well at meeting them. They on missed 2 things from the 2nd Quarter and they even acknowledged they had missed them and gave a short explanation. So where has GameSalad fail us?
    Photics said:
    It's because I agreed not to reverse-engineer GameSalad software. Otherwise, I could be making a lot of money with converter software.

so you just proved my point. You would have to reverse engineer gamesalad/and-or use converter software to do it. You wouldnt be able to code a complete drag and drop engine from scratch with custom code imput

@jon and tendremer: lmao i remember reading that, think there was another kid as well.
    haven't said they failed us. not in any of my post, not sure where you are getting that from. I only said we are mutual beneficiaries and not the other way around. I've always tried to post mostly positive feedback without putting people down.
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    so you just proved my point. You would have to reverse engineer gamesalad/and-or use converter software to do it. You wouldnt be able to code a complete drag and drop engine from scratch with custom code imput

I think you're debating to debate and not really looking at what's being said here...

The main hurdle is of honor, not technology. I like GameSalad. I don't want to compete against them. That's a matter of choice, not ability. Even with the reverse-engineering issue, there are alternatives that I could pursue. I'm not about to outline them here, as that's silly. I'm not against GameSalad. I like the software... and the point of the thread is to post suggestions that can make the software better. What should be on the roadmap?

...and that's what makes me wonder about your debating stance. What are you arguing for... what's your goal? ...to keep GameSalad in mediocrity?

People pay $500 a year because they don't want GameSalad branding on their games. That's why I wasn't impressed with Project Masala. I don't want GameSalad branding. So, if GameSalad allowed exporting to HTML 5 and Xcode, that would make the software more valuable to professionals.

That point can be expanded... what if developers could make customizations? There are people here that can code. If not, that's a great introduction to coding. It makes GameSalad a more value tool for education.

I don't accept the difficulty excuse, as GameSalad used to export to Xcode.

Additionally, when issues with Game Center were discovered, Tshirtbooth suggested to GameSalad that there should be a way to detect the iOS version... and where's the system clock? This is like one line of code in Corona...

• system.getInfo( "model" )
    • os.time()

Because GameSalad is unable or unwilling to implement such features, all of our games are limited. Want to build a game like FarmVille? Nope... GameSalad games can't tell time. (Well, unless you force the player to sit there and watch the grass grow.)

So, that forces GameSalad down an undebatable path of logic.

1 - GameSalad is trying to own your games. That's what Project Masala currently does. It's their branding and their website, even though I paid money to remove branding.

(I understand that GameSalad has some cool money-making ideas for Project Masala... and that's cool... but I'm not cool with exclusivity. I think that the software should give developers more options. That's good for developers... and if developers are happy, that's good for GameSalad.)

2 - GameSalad caters to the masses, which essentially limits what you can do with the software. So, if you are above average developer, or your games are too complex for GameSalad, you're forced to look elsewhere. There is no customization, no work arounds, no ability to be creative and stay with GameSalad.

So... what if... what if GameSalad allowed exporting to Xcode? Wow, that would certainly change things. What if we could create custom behaviors and share them with the community? These are good things. It does put some pressure on GameSalad developers, but their current path is filled with potholes. There's the "career path" to Corona and that train needs to be derailed. Otherwise, GameSalad hinders their chances of success.

The grass is not greener on the other side. I've seen plenty of issues with Corona, but if that suddenly changes... wow... how does GameSalad recover? There's such growing anger here... developers arguing with developers for making suggestions to improve the software... that's not good for the longterm health of the community.
    a difference between a good platform and a great platform is the users of great platform is not afraid to show the world what they used. people pride themself as a photoshop user even though that's just the norm now.. and I think GS has the potential to become THE platform for game creation alike.. (and that's not a response to any thread, so let's stop the flaming.)
    @ Photics. Your the one whos debating to debate

I said somethign to someone else saying if they though they could code a drag and drop engine and you came out of no where and said "It's because I agreed not to reverse-engineer GameSalad software. Otherwise, I could be making a lot of money with converter software."

Which is proving my point, you cant do it from scratch without reversing gamesald or converting something from gamesalad.That was clear when you responded with a 7 paragrahg post that didnt answer my question at all.

All im trying to say is this. If you dont know how to cook, dont complain about someone elses cooking for you. Because you wouldnt be eating if it wasnt for them

Of course i want gamesalad to have every feature and be above in beyond the rest. And im sure it will be in time. I just understand the time and work that goes into it. And i also relize how incredibly easy it is to make a game in gamesalad.You should know that.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    http://www.deepblueapps.com/Deep_Blue_Ideas_Ltd./Tools_in_Development.html

DBA has a tool to convert to different lan in the future(if they made it)

anyways, do the sous chefs get the betas yet?
    No calvin I have not received a beta yet. Been hoping for one soon as there are a few fixes I need to happen like the otherwise bug.
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    "lan"

???
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    Which is proving my point, you cant do it from scratch without reversing gamesald or converting something from gamesalad.

I think you missed the part that said I could do it — without reverse engineering — but choose not to. I don't want to compete with GameSalad. I like the software. Plus, there are lots of alternatives out there already. This is a very competitive market. So while I think I could eventually build my own system, I imagine that one of the competitors to GameSalad could do it much faster and much better. What's the point?

Also... I actually thought of a cool project today that's non-competitive and maybe I should make it happen. I hate coding though. HA HA :)

Additionally, not wanting to code, and not knowing how to code, are two different things. My most successful apps were made with either Xcode or Eclipse. I haven't been able to find big success with ANY of my GameSalad powered apps. That's bad.

The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook was made with Xcode. Photics: Conquest was a combination of Eclipse, HTML, PHP and MySQL. Photics.com had a nice surge of traffic from that game.

I think that's why you see so many developers here pushing for faster and better updates. It's because they want to win and they want to see GameSalad win. This is not a bad thing. This thread is about discussing the roadmap and prioritizing those updates. I think that's cool... and I think "code" customizations should be on there. This is still a strong community. If we could help with the development process... wow... I think that could lead to spectacular results. What Wayne and Darren created for GameSalad is a fine example. If they could do that from the outside, what could they do if GameSalad had an API?

Anyway... I'm revisiting this thread because I learned about an alternative to iAds / AdMob. It's called Millennial Media. I think more advertisement options should be added to the roadmap. It seems that iAds is dying a slow death...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1183470

One of the top features of Pro is iAds... and that's not really a popular feature anymore. I think AdMob / Millennial Media are good additions.

I think that's why you see so many developers here pushing for faster and better updates. It's because they want to win and they want to see GameSalad win. This is not a bad thing.

I LIKE!

and additionally i think iAd flopped not because of users or GS, apple flopped iAd... regardless what platform developers are using.
    SPRING

Image flipping (check)
    Text input with iOS keyboard (low priority)

GameSalad 1.0
    In-app Purchase (high priority)
    Splash screen options (high priority)
    GameCenter achievements (mid)
    Sprites (mid)
    Layer functions (low)
    Scene editor improvements (low)
    Targets: cleaner portfolio management and publishing (low priority)
    GameSalad Marketplace (check)
    GameSalad Cookbook (check)

some updates as it seems, and took the liberty to prioritize based on observations i've had in the forum based on people's opinion.

going along with the current roadmap that is.
    (priorities should be set based on, Solving problem at hand(high priority), Creating new features(mid), adding a little sprinkle on the nice to haves(low) I think we can agree).
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    Hello!

First of all, a BIG thank you to everyone for the feedback and general excitement about our roadmap and what we see as the future of GameSalad. We consistently try our best to incorporate your feedback and prioritize development accordingly. Our hope in providing a roadmap is that you’ll have a good sense of our priorities for the year and an approximate timeframe for when you can expect them to be available.

With that said, we are excited to provide you with an updated roadmap within the next couple of weeks.

We look forward to sharing more with you soon!

Thanks!

Lauren
  • FanStudioUKFanStudioUK Member Posts: 459
    Is it possible to let us know if you'll be able to implement In-App purchase this summer ('til the end of August)?
    I'm really interested in this feature as I see it as the only available anti-piracy option...

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.