GameSalad 2011 Roadmap

Comments

• iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    That would be the coolest thing!
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    See, if it was on the ipad, you wouldn't be able to get anything SERIOUS done. it would be really hard aligning everything and getting things perfect. it would be better for just testing and ideas.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    If GameSalad was on the iPad, how would artwork and sound effects be uploaded?

Perhaps that's how the marketplace ties in. You could buy game content on the iPad, then work on your game in the cloud.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Photics said:

Perhaps that's how the marketplace ties in. You could buy game content on the iPad, then work on your game in the cloud.

If Project Masala really is having GameSalad Creator on an iPad, it will probably be a little different than the Mac version to allow for some of the differences between the two platforms. Just a thought.

- Alex
    It would have to be more than a little different. The iPad is better suited for content consumption rather than creation.

Does the iPad have Pixelmator? Daz3D? Audacity?

Basically, GameSalad would need a suite of content creation apps to make the software useful on the iPad. The fundamental idea behind GameSalad is drag-and-drop game creation. So, how does that content get on the iPad in the first place?
  • FutureNewbFutureNewb Member Posts: 28
    The roadmap looks great. I can't wait to dive into these features, especially the Gamecenter and Twitter/facebook intergrations!! Thanks GameSalad team!

-Future Newb Apps
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    Photics said:
    Dropbox for example. Im making all my graphics on PC, the just save it in dropbox folder, and its on MAC. OpenOffice an some other apps on iOS, already can use dropbox.
  • ApplaudAppsApplaudApps Member Posts: 308
    Just found this roadmap. I always was a bit slow on the uptake ;)

Really looking forward to find out what GameSalad will be able to produce over the next 12 months.
    imGua said:
    Dropbox for example. Im making all my graphics on PC, the just save it in dropbox folder, and its on MAC. OpenOffice an some other apps on iOS, already can use dropbox.

GameSalad could also include asset storage, but that means a desktop is still required. Even if the iPad can access stored files, it's not that great of a game development environment if those files have to be created elsewhere.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Most people will prefer using their own assets on programs they already use, I would still use Illustrator/Photoshop for my artwork and create my sounds in my studio, even if GS has image/sound composition etc.

As for the iPad's image and sound editing and creation, there are a lot of great apps that can do that, especially sound creation, there are great synths and DAW's.

It would just be great to edit on the move, although I use my air for that.

I doubt though that this is their intent, I reckon the whole HTML 5 thing is a possibility though. The whole Rocket Engine and GS being connected with investors/parent companies ties this in, especially because (and correct me if I'm wrong, I only looked at the Rocket Engine site briefly) there doesn't look like there is an engine available, there are pictures of it but no links to use it/information about it. Could be that it's contracted to GS?

Ace
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    Photics said:
    GameSalad could also include asset storage, but that means a desktop is still required. Even if the iPad can access stored files, it's not that great of a game development environment if those files have to be created elsewhere.

It's ok for me. Cose there is a lot of work with game logic. When you don't have graphics, you can use square and circle as temporary images for actors, and when you near PC or Mac, you can replace those "dolls" with real graphics. It's a common approach for game development.
    imGua said:
    It's ok for me. Cose there is a lot of work with game logic. When you don't have graphics, you can use square and circle as temporary images for actors, and when you near PC or Mac, you can replace those "dolls" with real graphics. It's a common approach for game development.

+1
  • jsaligerijsaligeri Member Posts: 26
    I LOVE GameSalad!

JS
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @gsaligeri - Just because you don't say the word Corona doesn't make a difference lol.

I have both paid subscriptions for Corona and GS and choose GS every time for GAME development.

The UI is not a drag n drop function for Corona although I doubt a drag n drop interface for Corona is far away.

GS has the right idea with what's on the roadmap and if Project Masala is HTML5 then there are huge changes ahead.

I am really happy with GS and it's future.

Ace
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I just wanted to say:

While I'm not happy about a few of the features coming along later than I'd like, I wanted to applaud you all for giving us stuff we want.

Any successful business thrives on meeting the needs of its customers. That's us, in this case!

Please, always keep this in mind, even with $6.1million, and you'll be ok ;)

Very much looking forward to GameCentre!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    quantumsheep said:
    I just wanted to say:

While I'm not happy about a few of the features coming along later than I'd like, I wanted to applaud you all for giving us stuff we want.

Any successful business thrives on meeting the needs of its customers. That's us, in this case!

Please, always keep this in mind, even with $6.1million, and you'll be ok ;)

Very much looking forward to GameCentre!

yep
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Hey, QS... any chance you could drop some hints at when we're likely to see GameCenter?

It would be good to get a less vague status update from GameSalad themselves... but we tend to get more hints that turn to fruition from your goodself than we do from official channels :)

Ive just submitted a game that would have really benefitted from leaderboards, but with "spring" meaning anything up to another 2 months (depending on where you live), its still a little annoying that we dont have a better idea of when its due...

Still... at least we actually have some sort of roadmap now...
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Chunkypixels said:
    Hey, QS... any chance you could drop some hints at when we're likely to see GameCenter?

It would be good to get a less vague status update from GameSalad themselves... but we tend to get more hints that turn to fruition from your goodself than we do from official channels :)

Ive just submitted a game that would have really benefitted from leaderboards, but with "spring" meaning anything up to another 2 months (depending on where you live), its still a little annoying that we dont have a better idea of when its due...

I think its actually a pretty good roadmap. Being that he said they are shooting for every 6 weeks for releases and GameCenter was slated for the next release. It should be anytime. But even still. a 3 month window into when there shooting for things is much better than we have seen in the past.
  • crapscraps Member Posts: 353
    Please add jpg support - we can save an enormous amount in image size!
    craps said:
    Please add jpg support - we can save an enormous amount in image size!

Not true... When you build an application, Xcode converts the PNG images in to iPhone optimized PNG files in which iOS can read and process them efficiently. If a developer uses a JPEG file, Xcode doesn't convert the images, instead; once the application is run iOS converts them at runtime which adds a HUGE amount of wasted memory and load times.

Plus, JPEG has no alpha channel, so there'd be no transparency on images, just block white as a background... Sure, that's not the end of the world as I try my hardest to make images with the least amount of alpha channel as possible to save on image memory but it's not always possible ;)

Ace
    Chunkypixels said:

Hey fella,

I don't think it'll be another two months :D

• SFSF Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 35
    Hey gang,

Just a quick note that we're on track to release our next update the second week of May. This release will have GameCenter leader boards as promised, as well as a host of other goodies.

Cheers,

Steve
  • hdeandahdeanda Member, PRO Posts: 55
    Yeah!!!
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    SF said:
    Hey gang,

Just a quick note that we're on track to release our next update the second week of May. This release will have GameCenter leader boards as promised, as well as a host of other goodies.

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers Steve for the info regarding the release date your aiming for... much appreciated :)
    Chunkypixels said:
    Cheers Steve for the info regarding the release date your aiming for... much appreciated :)

See? You don't need me anymore! :D

• osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Thanks for the update Steve! Looking forward to the update :)

- Alex
    SF said:
    the second week of May.

It looks like I have a deadline for BOT.
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    And why is that?
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    This is AWESOME! Cant Wait!

Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.