• Custom Scene Editor WIP • Grid, Snap-To-Grid, Zoom, Multi-Select

Comments

• brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    Do you plan on selling this? I think you do, but it would be cool if it was open source so tons of people could work on it.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited August 2013
    Damn impressive stuff...

I'd love to try out the snap to grid (and zoom and multi select) with my 3d blocks setup for a new project. (Was gonna share a vid of the 3d blocks but don't want to confuse the cool stuff your doing.)

I've got the rules so the blocks currently jump into grid positions but only when previewing. So at the moment it requires putting then in place, previewing (to see where abouts they snap to), adjust them, preview again (Or open each actor and adjust the coordinates manually).

Looks great, as as others have already said it offers up some of the simplest features we've been wishing for for ages. It will all make for a nicer user experience and more efficient work flow... Outstanding...
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Do you plan on selling this? I think you do, but it would be cool if it was open source so tons of people could work on it.
    I'm happy to pay for this if it's as useful and time saving as it's shaping out to be.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2013
    I'm happy to pay for this if it's as useful and time saving as it's shaping out to be.
    I'm happy to pay for this too, in fact I'd happily forgo my next Pro subscription and spend the money here.
  • MantoManto Member Posts: 796
    edited August 2013
    @brickamator I won't release it as open-source. Even if I did I don't think many people could edit it. It's not easy to understand/read the code what I currently have if you haven't built it from the ground up.

@StormyStudio Thanks. I've seen your video :)
    I'm happy to pay for this too, in fact I'd happily forgo my next Pro subscription and spend the money here.
    I might draw the line at a 3 digit price tag but I understand where you're coming from even though I haven't been here half as long as you :)
  • DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277
    This is so impressive. The fact that you've built this in 3 days when GS haven't managed in 2 years is mind-blowing! I don't claim to understand anything about true coding though, so maybe there are reasons for this - but still mind-blowing!

I'm surprised someone from Gamesalad hasn't taken an interest in this thread, or at the very least contacted you direct.

Great stuff!
    @DigiChain Thanks. They'll probably contact on after the weekend.
    edited August 2013
    New
    • Set Actor X&Y (single or multiple)
    • Grid Offset
    • Grid Starts from bottom left corner

edited August 2013
    New
    • Set Actor X&Y (single or multiple)
    • Grid Offset
    • Grid Starts from bottom left corner

Bang ! Just like that, alignment tools ! Brilliant stuff !

:)>- :)>- :)>- :)>- :)>- :)>-
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    Really awesome :-) do you ever sleep ? ;-)
    I'm surprised someone from Gamesalad hasn't taken an interest in this thread, or at the very least contacted you direct.

Great stuff!
    With the great work Manto1 is doing and the conversations over on the nightly release thread I think it's fair to say the Gamesalad guys will be very interested! Even though the lack of response from GS could be down to it being the weekend, I think this is the sort of issue they'll need to put they're heads together and decide own their official stance before any individual from GS comments on it. I could be wrong obviously.
    ok I under stand
  • JfranJfran Member Posts: 10
    Very impressive! Keep it up! :)
  • joe_williamsjoe_williams Member, PRO Posts: 50
    Terrific stuff, love the updates coming out of this thread. Count me in on the ready-to-purchase train.
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    This looks incredible, I would love to have something like this.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited August 2013

:D

But seriously, @Manto1, this is truly terrific stuff; excellent work. :-)

It's going to be so useful; it'd be brilliant to have this as an actual GS plugin... maybe the guys and gals at GS HQ would consider it (if that's what you'd want)...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Um.... I REALLY don't know where to begin. :-O
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited August 2013
    Wow. Give this guy a badge and 2 stars.
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    edited August 2013
    Would love to get some feedback from GS here and in the weekly update thread.
    Keep it up @Manto1. Maybe one day http://gamesalad.nexusmods.com will come to existence 8->

By the way it's a shame you won't be releasing this as open source. Oh well, props to you still, though :)
  • MillionairAppsMillionairApps Member Posts: 110
    I say give you three months and you could make a software and give GS a run for thier money. Nothing better than some friendly competition to keep things moving forward. Keep it :)
    Really awesome :-) do you ever sleep ? ;-)
    Let's do a KickStarter to raise the funds to have Manto1 kidnapped and his brain removed and cloned, that way he won't need to sleep, I've seen it in films, we just need to keep his brain in a big jar of vinegar with a USB2 cable hooked up to his computer.

@Socks I was actually thinking yesterday that @Manto1 should set up a Kickstarter for it. It's a little more pleasant and legal than kidnapping and removing brains
    @Socks if we have the ability to clone Manto1's brain I say we don't stop at just one, lets build an army of them, imagine the possibilities. I'll start saving jars.
    @Socks I was actually thinking yesterday that @Manto1 should set up a Kickstarter for it. It's a little more pleasant and legal than kidnapping and removing brains
    What ? Removing brains is illegal now ? This is political correctness gone mad.

;)
    edited August 2013
    @Socks if we have the ability to clone Manto1's brain I say we don't stop at just one, lets build an army of them, imagine the possibilities. I'll start saving jars.
    I've got some vinegar left over from a big jar of pickled onions from the Christmas before last, it's a bit murky but he doesn't need to be able to see out of it does he ?

Just think in 6 months time we could have a secret underground warehouse with rows upon rows of Manto1's brains working away on GameSalad features, Manto1 - Manto8 working on joints, Manto22 - Manto38 working on polygonal collision shapes . . . . .
    ...and Manto1 zero, the original who is tasked solely with creating even more clones of himself ( its always best to clone the original, to avoid clones incrementally getting worse, like photocopying a photocopy). It'd be a self perpetuating production machine.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Just a question as I watch this progressing amazingly ... How does it handle layers? So lets say on the scene things overlap as they're on different layers, will we be able to account for this in the tool? Maybe even hide stuff on layers etc etc
    edited August 2013
    @Socks @BoomshackBarry Well that sounds a bit crazy. But if it's a paid job I guess I'll take it 8-X

@beefy_clyro layers are not supported yet, but they are on my To Do list.
  • artfishartfish Member, PRO Posts: 369
    This is awesome. A transform box would be epic. Multi select and then Enter x transform + 100. Could move all actors +100 to their x position for example. Great work man.
    What do you mean you dont want your brain removed? We could put your brain in codewizard!!!!! Thats a piad job!!