• jtadeojtadeo Member, PRO Posts: 92
    Thank you GS.

This is most excellent.

...sip...
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Masala, huh? I love Indian food!

As Dieter would say..."I'm as happy as a little girl!"
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    Thank you so much GS I can't wait for all these awesome features :)

Cheers, Weswog
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    With iOS devices. the devices sizes are somewhat limited. This is a issues I see other places having in regards to android. There are tons of android devices and all devices have different screen sizes. With Apple you have a small amount to manage. What are you going to do in regards to making apps for android. A drop down list of all current android devices? And I dont mean work arounds.
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I think you posted at the wrong place.
    edit: *never mind. I misread the beginning*
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    We're still building specs and a plan of attack for Android and it's wide array of devices, specifications, and operating systems. That's a big part of why it's as far out as it is.

--Yodapollo
  • m456arcusm456arcus Member Posts: 189
    This is sooo great, I really can't wait even though the cheap part of me will most likely be disappointed with whats in the free version of the new and improved Gamesalad.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    Looking forward to the fall! Lots of things I like coming soon. haha. Thanks for the roadmap! Will buy pro as soon as I get the money. Just blew it on the ipad.
    +1 to the fall.

Whoops. Double post.
    +1 to the fall.
    "This fall I think you're riding for - it's a special kind of fall, a horrible *WONDERFUL* kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with *NEW FEATURES*. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started."

here's to catcher in the Rye.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Yodapollo said:
    We're still building specs and a plan of attack for Android and it's wide array of devices specifications and operating systems. That's big part of why it's as far out as it is.

I think Android and Universal Binaries are related. Basically, the game should scale better.

Hacking Universal Binaries...
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=14031

For the Mac Desktop, the games scale perfectly. Sure, black bars are added on the side. But basically, one app fits many different monitors. With better control of the camera... size and scaling... two big issues can be resolved.

As an example, with a scrolling game, the camera could expand or contract to match the screen size. The UI elements could be positioned based on distance from the edged of the screen... like minus 20 pixels from the screen height... then, the only thing that's needed is for GameSalad to calibrate the touch points. This could be done manually with math.

If I had access to the info.plist — a way to specify my app as a universal binary — I think I could build universal binaries right now. This technique could be expanded to handle the different screen sizes of Android.
  • WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91
    Nice roadmap guys :)
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Amazing :) Love the roadmap guys, this is what we have been crying out for and its made teh community very excited
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Absolutely fantastic Steve! These new features will definitely increase the quality of the games made with this truly awesome tool. Again, thanks so much for the road map. Looking forward to the year ahead.

- Alex
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Interesting read. It's good to finally get some sort of idea of the plans for the future.

I'm a little shocked that arrays/tables seems to be so far down the schedule... Winter could mean anything up til February/March next year, which is a long time to wait for such an important feature. I'm guessing if the roadmap is based on users feedback, then most users simply don't understand the importance, and the potential arrays brings to creating a wider variety of gameplay styles. Word games, quizes, and detailed RPGs for example all heavily rely on charts and data lists, and are somewhat out of the reach of GameSalad without arrays/tables.

To me, 1.0 isnt really going to be a true moniker, if the tool is missing such a large, basic pillar of game design.

Apart from that, it's good to see the roadmap. Let's hope recruitment goes well, so we might see those milestones happen sooner :)

So any idea on when the next update is to be expected? "Spring" is a little vague still, and it's been a while since the last proper update. Re-instating custom splash screens doesn't really count :)
  • SFSF Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 35
    @Chunkypixels Tables and Arrays is actually my number one feature request, although it happens to be an incredibly large and complex project. Our hope is to get it finished by end of year if not sooner.

I agree that once we have that feature, the types of games you can create with GameSalad will increase dramatically. I'll continue to pester the team to see if there's anything we can do to get it out sooner. :)
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    Great looking road map. Thanks guys for lifting our spirits.
  • WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91
    Anybody know what the "Save format stability" feature is? I'm don't think I've read anything about that one.

Thanks
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    WyrdGuitarist said:
    Anybody know what the "Save format stability" feature is? I'm don't think I've read anything about that one.

That confused me too. I think it's about saving the project itself, not like saving attributes.
    I guess the file type, .gameproj will be improved (guessing)
  • vectorcharacterscomvectorcharacterscom Member Posts: 14
    Amazing! GameSalad is going to be the famous tool...
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    so this

I will add the points I give for these features

GameSalad 2011 Roadmap
    JANUARY – MARCH

Mac App Store publishing (done, and I am sure is great) 7.5/10
    Pause/un-pause behavior (useful) 6/10
    Custom splash screens (for pros) 7/10
    Improved Undo functionality (did not really use it) 3/10
    Web security enhancements (never use web preview) 1.5/10
    Warning for unsupported operating systems (useless for me) 0/10
    Stability and performance improvements (great!) 8/10
    SPRING

GameCenter leader boards (do you think I need to said anything more?) 10/10
    Image flipping (ok) 7/10
    Memory leak fixes (...)10/10
    Save format stability (good thing, I don't need to redo my project when GS update) 9/10
    Text input with iOS keyboard (saves time) 8/10
    GameSalad Arcade 2.0 (I don't care) 4/10
    Project Masala (excited) 9.5/10
    SUMMER

GameSalad 1.0(good bye beta)9.5/10
    GameCenter achievements(the same as GC)10/10
    In-app Purchase(the best thing I want it in GS!!!!!!!!)10/10
    GameSalad Marketplace(kinda useful)7.5/10
    GameSalad Cookbook (the best tutorial ever made)10/10
    Targets: cleaner portfolio management and publishing (great thing to know) 8/10
    Scene editor improvements (don't really care)5/10
    Layer functions( sounds good)7.5/10
    Sprites(save spaces) 8/10
    Splash screen options(such as?) 5/10
    FALL

Universal app builds (iphone=ipad) 9.5/10
    Video(what is that? input video?) 8/10
    Facebook and Twitter integration(makes better game)8/10
    Polygon collision(good one)8.5/10
    Joints(awesome!!!)9/10
    Enhanced monetization options(why?) 3/10
    Android publishing(I don't really like it) 1.5/10
    WINTER

Tables and arrays(card games!!!) 9.5/10
    Scene transitions(what is that?)5/10
    Other projects (no specific timeframe yet)

Multiplayer(nice feature) 8/10
    Debugger(woo woo woo)10/10
    Gestures support(likes good, but don't know what can it do)5/10
    Actors referencing each other(that means more games)8.5/10
    Zoom in Preview(I don't need it) 1.5/10
    iOS device features (like cameras?)8/10
    Additional Box2D feature integration(don't know what is it)5/10

thanks steve for the awesome roadmap

Calvin
  • Player_EPlayer_E Member, PRO Posts: 604
    Cant wait to have my face melted!! its gonna drive me nuts wondering what masala is, but I can wait. Everything looks so awesome guys really nice to see whats coming up.

Only thing I would like to see as a higher priority is facebook and twitter integration...

idk if people realize the type of effect this could have on your game. If you get a big enough group of people playing your game and always posting high score to facebook that has the potential to spread like a cancer with more and more people downloading your game to see why others keep posting scores.

Imo this is how doodle dash became so popular. I read an article and this was what they wanted in their game the most so people could share.

Without integration like this the only way for people to know about your game is through marketing. Integration makes it 100% easier for people to see your game and share it.
  • WarlockWarlock Member Posts: 66
    All this epic talk of face melting makes me want to log into my Shadow Priest in World of Warcraft. This is great stuff here. mmmmm.....face melting.....
  • entersimonentersimon Member, PRO Posts: 273
    My only request is that the Pro system in the future closely resembles what we see now. With these new features on the way, and a future with Android publishing as well, the user base will be growing. This is excellent for GameSalad, and I hope it grows beyond the projections made behind closed doors, but remember that Pro members are looking to detach themselves from the GS label. This sentiment will most likely grow in the future as the user base expands. More people using GS = more terrible games getting released with GS's logo. It'll also mean more great games, and an immensely larger foundation of options of genres of games, but it will be more important than ever to separate the personal brand from GS.

If someone asks me how I make my games, I very proudly tell them it is with GameSalad, but due to the large amount of bad games released with it, I don't want that to be the first thing on a players mind before they give the game a chance. It's the biggest reason why I went pro.

On the roadmap:

I'm super excited about what's coming up in the future with GameSalad. I LOVE hearing about how the program is growing and how hard the developers are working on it. It's already an amazing product, and it looks like it's just going to keep getting better and better. The best of luck to all of the developers.
  • NesesitaGamesNesesitaGames Member Posts: 160
    Wow. Beyond excited. Great roadmap!
  • baboybaboy Member, PRO Posts: 93
    All i can say is 'Thank You GS!'. Adding all these features will make GS the ULTIMATE APP CREATOR in the future =).

I just have one request. I hope you guys also prioritize facebook & twitter integration, bec. this is somewhat an additional 'marketing feature' for us small & individual developers. Also the custom splash screen for pros will be good to prioritize.

More power to GS!
  • OaklandasfanOaklandasfan Member Posts: 213
    are leaderboards pro only (please say no, please say no)
This discussion has been closed.