GameSalad 2011 Roadmap

Comments

• calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    Oaklandasfan said:
    are leaderboards pro only (please say no, please say no)

I do "no"t k"no"w
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    No sign of mic, cam, or GPS info??????
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Chaser said:
    No sign of mic, cam, or GPS info??????

i think that falls under "iOS device features"
  • NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    Fantastic to finally see a full road map of development of the toolset. There are some great things coming soon so it's an exciting time for GameSalad users :D
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Oaklandasfan said:
    are leaderboards pro only (please say no, please say no)

I got the impression basically all the new "good stuff will be pro at least to start off. So you will just have to wait and see.
    any plan on 3D?
  • hdeandahdeanda Member, PRO Posts: 55
    Fantastic news. Makes it a reason for us to promote GS every chance we get. Every thing we could want is there. Layer functions (move an actor from one layer to another), joints (cooool!), splash screen options (as in video?), polygon collision (if only we could "draw" the polygon ourselves, say, with a certain limit of vertices, that would be awesome! Or, they give us a good size set of unusual shapes), iOS device functions (as in cam, GPS, compass, mic, etc, etc, why not we already us the accelerometer! Would be very cool).

Only thing I would ask for now is that GameSalad make the default iPhone resolution and coordinate grid at 960 by 640 on the GameSalad Creator since iPhone 5 is around the corner. GS can down res everything on their server and still keep the high resolution graphics optional. No more resolution independence trepidation and confusion!
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    Does Tables and Arrays include vectors? I really want vectors.
  • snortchsnortch Member Posts: 19
    Wanted to weigh in on the aspirations and ideas in the roadmap about GameSalad cookbook. I have appreciated Tshirt Booth's videos, but I continue to maintain that in order to really learn GS we have to get past the passive information dumps, mindless walkthroughs and boring feature run throughs. I love the idea of learning from one another.

If there is one big idea that I can share from my experience in creating learning solutions its that GS needs to help GS learners understand 'why'. In other words, why do I need to apply this behavior. Why is this attribute important.. Once we understand why, then the ideal Cookbook solution should challenge us to solve controlled problems on our own. I say controlled because a new learner needs to know that they can turn to the back of the book for the answer just in case they have tried everything they can think of to solve the challenge.

If the Cookbook solution does this, then it will be empowering new GS users to build on their own. And, in turn -helping the next batch of noobs understand the why's and wherefores for themselves.

There is a lot to be excited about in the roadmap. Lets hope that the Cookbook is effective at helping people know how to work with all of that new power + everything that was there previously.
  • iMuseiMuse Member Posts: 80
    awesome news! :)
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    Wow!! Looks amazing! As soon as I get enough money, I can assure you I'm going pro!
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    Saving my pennies...
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    My whales and I are very pleased to read about the actor enhancements! (flipping, joints, etc.)

My own wish is still for "video out" support on iPad 1 ( do they have video out cables on iPhone? / Pod?)

Masalla sounds delicious! (Though for actual food, I prefer the Tandoori!)
    Perhaps it's the secret Bollywood module that makes all the actors suddenly begin to sing and dance?
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Wow, this looks awesome! My opinion of GS has really changed to something positive the last months. So glad I'm pro (and I'm planing to stay one).
  • CaniohCanioh Member Posts: 200
    AwesomePie!

I'm really excited, will be great to work with all of these features!
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Mr.Rinoy said:
    Does Tables and Arrays include vectors? I really want vectors.

Table and arrays are data based

Ace
  • jtadeojtadeo Member, PRO Posts: 92
    snortch said:

If there is one big idea that I can share from my experience in creating learning solutions its that GS needs to help GS learners understand 'why'. In other words, why do I need to apply this behavior. Why is this attribute important.. Once we understand why, then the ideal Cookbook solution should challenge us to solve controlled problems on our own.

Good observation and I agree. For the most part, when I started I just looked at the current templates and examples and picked them apart. After a few hours clicking deleting and being frustrated I started to get the hang of it. The videos were and are still very helpful and I continue to learn.

It's a different way of making games as I am use to actually writing code but I think it's helpful to know both.
  • Cee3pee0Cee3pee0 Member, PRO Posts: 194
    Thank you for posting this! So excited for the future of GS!. It really is an amazing piece of software.

I would love to see your website updated to showcase some more recent games made by the GS community.

Thanks again for update! much appreciated!
    cheers
  • okimokiokimoki Member Posts: 159
    arghhhhhh.. i hate it that joints are coming in fall :/
    you can do sooooo much with them, and i miss them sooooo in GS right now..

but i guess every one of us has it's own list of features he would like to see implemented sooner :)
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    One thing I wasn't quite thrilled about concerning the road map was that scene transitions were pretty low on the list. I don't know if that's because it is a big project, or there's just not much demand for it, but it is one of those things that I think makes a game look really polished. I add in scene transitions for all of my apps because I think it looks better than no transition at all, and it creates a nice effect. Obviously the GameSalad dev team has bigger fish to fry, but I would personally love to see scene transitions sooner than later.

- Alex
  • danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236
    This is the post I've been waiting for! This is gonna bring me back to using Gamesalad thanks GS Team!
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    osucowboy18 said:
    One thing I wasn't quite thrilled about concerning the road map was that scene transitions were pretty low on the list. I don't know if that's because it is a big project, or there's just not much demand for it, but it is one of those things that I think makes a game look really polished. I add in scene transitions for all of my apps because I think it looks better than no transition at all, and it creates a nice effect. Obviously the GameSalad dev team has bigger fish to fry, but I would personally love to see scene transitions sooner than later.

- Alex

making your own transitions isnt too hard though :
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=18498
    ;)
    Sparkyidr said:
    making your own transitions isnt too hard though :
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=18498
    ;)

Thanks for the info sparky! I do have one question for you about your template. In your YouTube video demonstration, it only showed the out transitions. Does the template also include the in transitions? If so, I will seriously consider buying this. It's got some excellent effects. Thanks again.

- Alex
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    in the template I have them set to trigger and then change the scene to a new one.

For an "in" transition, you just do the exact opposite of what the out transition does, simple as that.
    Set up the camera and/or faders to be however you want them when the scene starts (so for example the opposite of a fade to black out, would be a fade FROM black to nothing), and trigger them to do the opposite of what they do on the way "out" (so for example, fade the fader object FROM black, alpha=1, to alpha=0, rather then fading from alpha=0 to black...alpha=1 as it does on the way out).

A lot of the funkier looking ones are achieved by moving actors into the scene, and then changing scene. So the opposite of that is...change to the scene, and move the actor(s) out of the scene.

Seemed pretty pointless clogging up the project with 2 versions of each transition, when it's so easy to do.

Sparks.
  • Mcreator83Mcreator83 Member Posts: 120
    nice! great road map and i can't wait till the end of the year! Android support is awesome!!
    I LOVE YOU ROADMAP!!!
  • AddictiveGamesAddictiveGames Member Posts: 105
    How on earth did I miss this yellow sticky yesterday?? ...In-app purchasing & android publishing ...guys were about to become very rich :-)
  • Stryfe01Stryfe01 Member Posts: 146
    Thanks. very excited, but a few things first.

- Pro. Ok, you guys canceled my regular membership early and left things in a state of flux. What will the pricing be for pro? I hope not as high as before. Will we get levels of pro? Although I don't yet use the "C" software, I like their pricing.

- Sprites, Does this mean than now we can have pixel on pixel collision? So that if my hero punches someone in the face the actors respond properly? Or will we be stuck with the same one shape to rule them all circle or square?

- Text input from ios kb, I hope that you will offer a simple way to place a keyboard overlay on screen with fully functioning keys. Also since you probably won't be sporting arrays as of yet, maybe add in support to read from a text file. Great idea that has been in my head for over a year, but i don't have the knowledge to code it or the funds to pay someone to.

I edited this post. I forgot to add this:

- On he UX side of things. How about making it a bit like Xcode 4. Instead of having the user leave the creator view to edit an actor, why not make that a subview on the side or bottom of the main view. So much time is spent going in and out of views to edit an actor or add behaviors that it slows down the program. That is where the memory leaks show up most. If I spend four hours in Gs working and don't leave the main view too often, I never get a crash. But if I do...Thank heavens for Time Machine.
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    SF said:
    Project Masala... melt your face...

Let it be GS for iPad, let it be GS for iPad...
    imGua said:
    Let it be GS for iPad, let it be GS for iPad...

+1. That would be SOOOO awesome. Well here's hoping :)

- Alex
This discussion has been closed.