GameSalad Creator Arrives on Windows!

Comments

• LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    @MarkOnTheIron - We will be working up a more detailed look this afternnon at the UI changes that exist in Windows Creator so you guys can more clearly see what changes have been made. Stay tuned!
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    YES! This means that GSBot doesn't need a Disclaimer pushing away Windows users! But how is Publishing going to work? So will it be able to publish to everything but iOS?
    Only to HTML5 (for free users), and Android (for Pros). Read my few posts in this topic, to know why it's impossible, or why it's breaking Apple Dev agreement (if you let someone else to send the game for you).
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    And here it is. Very cool!
    How are you going to solve the viewer thingy ? Maybe it's going up on the AppStore :) ?
    Why we need Viewer for Windows Creator? It can't publish for iOS anyways.
    edited May 2012
    How are you going to solve the viewer thingy ? Maybe it's going up on the AppStore :) ?
    Why we need Viewer for Windows Creator? It can't publish for iOS anyways.
    Ppl with Pc maybe want to test and see how it works and looks ?
    Ok, that's a good point. But I have no idea how GS can handle this - you need Xcode to install the Viewer on your device, and I'm not sure if Apple accept such software in the App Store.
  • RUPASRUPAS Member Posts: 823
    edited May 2012
    Congratulations to the Windows user!

Congratulations to the Windows user!

two issues;
    When is coming integration with facebook?

Multiplayer? Multiplayer would be fantastic and would give incredible power to the games developed with Gs, GS has to try to be the same level as other SDK, not from behind.
    I think you should keep questions about upcoming features in different thread - there is "What do you want"-like topic.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    @Basseman iOS viewer cannot be installed from a Windows machine, and nope, it's not going on the App Store. It holds games in it's memory, so Apple won't allow it on the store.

Ace
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    @Rupus, I agree with @TheMoonwalls, if you would like to start a new thread about feature requests you are welcome to. But let's keep the Windows announcement thread focus on Windows.

And as a reminder (via @SF): "Mac Creator and its passionate community will continue to be one of our top priorities. Windows Creator debuts with the functionality of GameSalad 0.9.92, and will achieve feature parity with the upcoming 0.9.93 version soon after it’s released to the Mac community. Going forward, our plan is to release new features on Mac first and then bring them over to Windows shortly thereafter. Both versions will eventually use our super fast native code engine that we’ll be releasing soon."

Simply stated, we will continue to push our tool forward and release new features. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to continuously improving the game development experience for our users.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    @mynameisace 15.. Not a child...
    so thats a yes
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    @johnpapiomitis
    Actually, If you deem to be critical some good users of this forum are younger than 18,
    @brightsparkgames
    @braydon_sfx

And also.. Look up the definition of a child,
    -----

@basseman
    Yeah, It is allowed actually
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    @JohnPapiomitis
    Haha

I signed up for the beta 3 min after it was posted. Very excited to check out the new interface, and from the looks of one of the screenshots we will have the ability to sort actors which I'm very excited about.

There will be some growing pains as more people join the forums, but with consistent moderation we should not see much disruption.

Exciting times.
  • arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Member Posts: 159
    For UK classrooms and for #nextgen this is a great move that will allow more young people access to creating and designing games. Im excited by this in terms of education establishments having lower barriers to engagement. Often they have said to me that they dont have or cant afford a mac suite on top of their existing windows network so this is great news. And from a business perspective it makes sense for future revenue.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Time will play itself out and we shall see what happens to the community. I do have high hopes, but I don't know if I see this as a glass half full, or a glass half empty kinda thing...All I know is someone has been drinking my juice!
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Good to see these kind of developments happening. And having projects cross compatible is the right step.

Next step will be hooking up with Onlive to stream GS creator to any device.

Interested in the new UI too - I'll give it a spin on the pc and see if it helps to work faster.

Now if we could publish native windows games AND insert whatever APIs we want (for all platforms)... the circle would be complete!
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited May 2012
    @johnpapiomitis
    Actually, If you deem to be critical some good users of this forum are younger than 18,
    @brightsparkgames
    @braydon_sfx

And also.. Look up the definition of a child,
    -----

@basseman

Indeed. In this day and age, being 18 is considered a big deal, or even 21 years of age. You have to be 16 years old to get a job. When I was 13, I created my own business - why waist the time that has been given to you? If you look back at history, "teens" were expected to behave and respect others. I believe this is something we have gotten away with today. I'm not saying that your not behaving correctly or not being respectful, Jack. My point is that there are some men that are immature compared to some "Teens", and I'm not talking about anyone on the forum, but in life.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand...
  • danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2012
    @Braydon, @LeonardDeveloper

I don't think this is the place for arguing over what defines a child. Lets be adults here.
    ;))
    And here is Microsoft CEO's Steve Ballmer's reaction to GameSalad being available for Windows

I think he had to much coffee that morning...
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    And here is Microsoft CEO's Steve Ballmer's reaction to GameSalad being available for Windows

Every time that video is played, somewhere in the world, Steve Balmer winces.

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Thanks for sharing, for a short moment I had this vision in my mind of Jobs starting the WWDC in the same manner. That was a sick thought. :)

• GreekSaladGreekSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 36
    edited May 2012

I think we need to invite him to the GS:HQ for some motivational speaking. I assume the speech will go something like this:

"DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS. YEAH!"

Followed by a sea of high-fives. Definitely.

I mean, you can't have a motivational speech without high-fives.
  • scrapee_netscrapee_net Member Posts: 424
    Wow. thats amazing. My pc is a lot more powerfull than my macbook. So I will use it most time.

I think he had to much coffee that morning...
    coffee/crack....potato/potahto
    Good one. ;)
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    edited May 2012

@basseman
    @LeonardDeveloper If you mean the Viewer on the App Store, it's not. If it just streamed the games it would be allowed, but because it holds them in memory, it's not.

Plus, GS is in beta and beta software is not allowed on the App Store.

Ace
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    @mynameisace
    No, I was replying to his earlier post about holding them in memory, You are correct about the other
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    We are working on a broader solution for publishing iOS games which will be released at a future date, but for now, Windows users will need to get someone with a Mac to publish their iOS games to the iTunes Store.
    Not sure Apple will be happy about this comment. I don't know what GS is planning on the first sentence, but the second statements violates the developer program term of use ("you cannot share or transfer any benefits you receive from Apple in connection with being a Registered Apple Developer"). While people are doing it (e.g. happens with both Corona and Unity), I think having GS suggesting that to people is problematic.

@Tshirtbooth note on MacInCloud is probably the best approach, their prices are more than reasonable. There is no reason for Windows users not to become legit iOS developers. Pay $99 to Apple and ~$20 to MacInCloud every month you want to publish something.
    Could you provide at least one screenshot of gamesalad for windows? We would love this.
    wowow... thanks. Its awesome. I always dreamed to see the x and y position of the actor, just clicking it... This UI loolks better than the mac one.

I can't wait to download it...