GameSalad Creator Arrives on Windows!

1234568»

Comments

• Jaden14541Jaden14541 Member Posts: 8
    Whoever says xp isn't gonna get it, they're wrong.
    Look here, scroll down, it says they're working on it!
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/forum.php?id=34
  • NtGNtG Member Posts: 103
    I actually have to agree -- I can't stand the interface in the Windows version. I'm in the minority though, it seems.
    Completely agree, There is just too much on the screen at once for my little laptop screen to handle.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    What kind of error?
    Just upload it to image server, and then post a link here. Or use this code:

<$img src="www.yourdomain.com/yourimage.png">

with no $
    Nope, did you upload it to a server, like imageshack?
    Whoever says xp isn't gonna get it, they're wrong.
    Look here, scroll down, it says they're working on it!
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/forum.php?id=34
    I am suing it on XP but it is giving error

@TheMoonwalls did you try to install it on XP. I could install it on XP
    I'm a Mac user B-)
    @theMoonwalls I just asked my dad to buy me a MAC :)
    That's nice! I see that you are one of our younger users :)

We'll help you with your error message on Windows. Just upload the image, as I told you - it will be easier to see what's wrong.
  • envelopeenvelope Member Posts: 1
    New guy to Gamesalad. I've been waiting for a windows version. Someone send me a tutorial because watching mac tutorials for windows software with DIFFERENT UI is not really working out that well. Please? <3
  • joyairjoyair Member Posts: 6
    I can't run it under win7, there is a window saying that: GameSalad is stop running :(

Anyone got the same problem?

THS!
  • xcoxco Member Posts: 2
    Please GAMESALAD Awesome people! Please Bring GameSalad to XP ! I don't want to upgrade I love my XP, please, please, please....
  • GuardianGuardian Member Posts: 54
    Hey guys, I think this is really good thing. I often jump around on different computers with different operating systems, so this makes my life easier.

A few things I've noticed (not sure what is meant to be in the beta but I'll list stuff anyway).
    * No expression editor. This makes getting attributes outside of 'self' very very hard. I found you can drag an attribute from the attribute window into a behavior, but this only works when both elements are on the screen.
    * No actor image in the thumbnail box when you first create it (until you select the image from a dropdown)
    *I cant seem to open my old iOS gamesalad project files.
    *New UI seems to be designed for two screens or very large resolution? The idea of detaching the preview and backstage is great idea as you can split them over two screens, but those with a single screen may find it hard to navigate.
    *There also seems to be bug in windows 7 where if you are viewing the detached backstage window you can't use the taskbar to go back to the preview window.

*Sorry if I havent used the correct terminolgy here :S

Cheers,
    Mat
  • PortymanPortyman Member, PRO Posts: 409
    I got the email yesterday and my question is

Is there a new version for windows?

I have the beta and in the email it says that Mac and pc are now compatable, but I don't see write tables in windows. Do I need an update?
    I got the email yesterday and my question is

Is there a new version for windows?

I have the beta and in the email it says that Mac and pc are now compatable, but I don't see write tables in windows. Do I need an update?
    I think that it means that you can open Mac projects on Windows.
  • tsubasatsubasa Member Posts: 1
    newbie here, Hi to all and hope I can learn a lot from you guy's, I start in a Mac many many years ago but for tricks of destiny I end up using Windows and stay there, maybe some day I will got back to Mac :) but for the moment is gonna be fun to learn Gamesalad for Windows

(so many cool portraits I need to design one)

Cheers!
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited June 2012
    What seems odd to me is that an email is required to download the Windows version. GameSalad already has my email address. If they want to protect the download, logging in first could be required. Yet, that makes no sense. GameSalad should encourage people to download the software... removing silly barriers like an email request.
    Please CAN we get GAMESALAD for windows XP!!! PLEASE!!!
    No way, XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173
    What seems odd to me is that an email is required to download the Windows version. GameSalad already has my email address. If they want to protect the download, logging in first could be required. Yet, that makes no sense. GameSalad should encourage people to download the software... removing silly barriers like an email request.
    Please CAN we get GAMESALAD for windows XP!!! PLEASE!!!
    No way, XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173
    Thanks for clarification!

And about providing e-mail address - I think that it takes you only few seconds, and you have to do it once. There is no big deal.
    And about providing e-mail address - I think that it takes you only few seconds, and you have to do it once. There is no big deal.
    One of the phrases heard around here is, "keeping the lights on." The idea is that GameSalad is a business and has to make money. So, what's the email for? How does that help make GameSalad money? To me, it's an unnecessary speed bump.

One of my most successful web development projects was actually a rally against such silliness. Today's web surfer is more savvy. They don't like to give out their personal emails. I created reports to show that requesting personal information from a user... as the initial action... was wasteful. Roughly 90¢ on every dollar spent on the related Pay-Per-Click campaigns was being thrown away. After a powerpoint presentation and a display of web traffic reports, they finally got it and dropped the silly form. That... along with my other recommendations... dramatically improved traffic.

So, what new information is GameSalad getting here? Is it really worth losing potential customers?

I think they should ease up and chill out. If the developer is serious, an email is required for publishing anyway.
    Wow, dude. PowerPoint sucks - even Steve Jobs, while having medical consultation with the best M.D.s in the US, criticized them for using PowerPoint - doctors could not even say a word.
    You're making fun of PowerPoint? It doesn't matter if you like it or not, many businesses use it... along with Excel and Word. On my Mac, I have Pages, Numbers and Keynote. While I like the cheap price of the software, it hasn't had a major update in years.
    Really, I mean really, you don't have bigger problems (like new features, or some bugs in Windows Creator), that you write columns about simple "give us your e-mail, and then you can download the software" thing?
    I like to focus on smaller issues... ones that are easy to fix.

Example...
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/43306/im-considering-giving-gamesalad-another-shot

...still no response if HTML5 is going to be improved — to include more professional exporting options and the ability to communicate with web servers.

It surprises me that GameSalad has the ability to add a Windows version of their software, but doesn't allow expressions for the OpenURL behavior.
    IF the developer is serious (as you said), he won't make problem for giving his e-mail, before he download the software.
    When I started with GameSalad, I started slow. I liked that I could download the software... without a login... and test it out first. Those were the cooler days of GameSalad. It felt like the community and GameSalad were more like a team. Now, even small suggestions can be a battle.
    is there a section or page for young kids like me? if there isn't can i setup one? so that i can work and share my work with other kids and you all? I have a name for this page or area and I want to call it Gamesalad Junior or GS Jr. :) I hope GS will listed to my idea :)
    Sorry to tell you his, but you won't be here for long. Minimum age is 13...
  • markpounceymarkpouncey Member Posts: 8
    Hey-- just downloaded the "FREE" Windows OS version && loaded it, loaded the HTML5 Template, && published it, && played it through a link on FaceBook in less than 1 hour flat && WORKS PERFECT first time !!! Thank ya'll so much, && kind regards, mark-p.
    P.S. am on an Acer netbook w/ atom processor and 1 Gig of RAM-- no problems.
  • jedineinjedinein Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if these are features or bugs but...
    1. To open a MAC file one must rename the admin.gsuser to admin.gsproj
    2. On a smaller screen, like a laptop, the Backstage constantly re-positions to the bottom of the screen, wiping out the settings screens. The Backstage will not stay in a selected position (like the right side of the screen.
    3. The preview screen will not scroll, thus if designing for a 1280 x 800 pixel screen, like a larger tablet, one can not view the entire screen. Further, there is no zooming of the screen, so no 75% view or such that will allow a view of the entire level at once.
    4. There are no attribute editors as shown on the Mac turtorials, thus one can not select to spawn a new actor based on the top 100 pixels of the game board, or based on touch versus a mouse click.
    5. The preview does not respond to mouse clicks outside of tutorials brought over from the Mac version (i.e. pachinko tutorial will spawn new actors, but same set of conditions will not spaw actor in new file in windows version).
    6. Softphysics templates from other vendors stop responding after 2-3 rounds of previews in Windows version.

Wish there was an XP edition previewer. While the program will install and has the same limitations as the Vista+ install, using IE8 gives script errors. Perhaps allowing the program to use other browsers for the preview would solve the browser war that Microsoft created.

All in all, this is really exciting and will allow us die-hard Windows users to create content that can eventually cross the abyss to iThings.

Thanks!

• Pennez-GamesPennez-Games Member Posts: 107
    Gamesalad for windows has to many bugs its horrible, id been working on my game for ages in gamesalad now i cant even testplay my game, i click preview to test it and it comes up with searching for a solution to the problem and it crashes
    Gamesalad for windows has to many bugs its horrible, id been working on my game for ages in gamesalad now i cant even testplay my game, i click preview to test it and it comes up with searching for a solution to the problem and it crashes
    It has bugs because it's beta. It's not made so you can make a full game, but it's made so you can test it, find bugs, report them, and get full working product in the future.
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    Any news on an upcoming update for Windows GS? I'm new to GS and I don't really know how long it usually takes to roll out a new version, but the writable tables from 0.9.93 really excites me :D
    But then again a bug free version is better than an early but buggy release.
  • Supersonic9120Supersonic9120 Member, PRO Posts: 174
    I haven't read through this entire forum however I will report a couple of transfer bugs when going from Windows Beta to the Mac Creator. Typically everything works fine, however when trying to load the data for a Prototype Actor the Mac Creator freezes. Anyone else see this issue??
  • tracidjasontracidjason Member Posts: 1
    I am new to GS.
    Just wanted to know if I download any of the templates from the Market Place will it work on GS for Windows..
    I am new to GS.
    Just wanted to know if I download any of the templates from the Market Place will it work on GS for Windows..
    Nope.