GameSalad Creator Arrives on Windows!

SFSF Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 35
edited May 2012 in Working with GS (PC)
Hi everyone,

Today we're excited to announce the launch of GameSalad Creator for Windows. Since our initial launch in 2009, we set out to bring game creation to everyone, and today we’ve taken another step toward fulfilling that promise by welcoming the Windows audience to the GameSalad community.

Over the years we’ve received countless requests from PC users around the world asking us to bring GameSalad to the Windows platform. It pained us to turn away so many interested developers, and with the recent additions of HTML5 and Android publishing, supporting the Windows community made a lot of sense.

What about the existing Mac Creator?

Mac Creator and its passionate community will continue to be one of our top priorities. Windows Creator debuts with the functionality of GameSalad 0.9.92, and will achieve feature parity with the upcoming 0.9.93 version soon after it’s released to the Mac community. Going forward, our plan is to release new features on Mac first and then bring them over to Windows shortly thereafter. Both versions will eventually use our super fast native code engine that we’ll be releasing soon.

Can Mac Creator interact with Windows Creator?

Here’s where it gets really cool. You can transfer GameSalad project files back and forth between Windows and Mac machines. This means that templates and project files can be shared across the Windows and Mac community and sets us up in the future for some interesting collaboration initiatives that we’re working on. Also, if you’re a Pro member, you will have Pro membership access to both Windows and Mac versions with a single membership.

Can you publish to iOS using a Windows machine?

A Mac is still required to publish to the iTunes Store – this is an Apple requirement, sorry! We are working on a broader solution for publishing iOS games which will be released at a future date, but for now, Windows users will need to get someone with a Mac to publish their iOS games to the iTunes Store.

Woah, what’s up with that crazy new UI?

We’ve been working on a revamp of the classic GameSalad UI for a while now. We took some creative liberties with the Windows Creator in order to rethink much of our UI from the ground up. For some of our Mac users, certain elements of the new UI may be a bit foreign and disruptive to your accustomed workflow. We wanted to be sensitive to this, so the plan is to continue to gather feedback on the Windows UI, refine it over the coming weeks and then settle on a strong, professional, unified experience that will be rolled out across both versions of Creator.

Ok, I want to check this out, but I don’t have a Windows machine, what do I do?

If you’d like to play around with Windows Creator and test drive the new UI but don’t have a Windows machine, you can try using Bootcamp on your Mac. You’ll need a copy of Windows installed as well, but it should give you a good feel for what Windows Creator is like without having to purchase a Windows machine.

I’ve seen those Mac and PC commercials. I don’t want to hang out with PC people; they wear funny clothes and are behind the times. How do I know they won’t ruin our community and forums?

Take it easy! I’m a recovering PC user and can vouch that they are good people. ☺

We’re looking into creating a separate section in the forums for new Windows users so we can address their specific needs outside of the normal discussions. Who knows, you just might be pleasantly surprised by the contributions from our new PC friends, so keep an open mind and welcome them to the GameSalad community!

How do I download Windows Creator?

Access to the Windows Creator Beta is available on a first-come, first-served basis. We’ll be emailing invite codes in batches, so be patient if you don’t get access right away.

We’ll have more to share on Windows Creator and related developments in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

Cheers,

Steve

Comments

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    edited May 2012
    Oh My god,
    I don't know what to think of this... This means more business for GS, But it also means some of the windows crowd...
    I don't know I half like and half dislike this :)
    I have no idea what to think of this.. I guess it means we get even MORE kids ;)
    ------
    But again thanks GS team for pushing the development race forward and accelerating with your product :)
  • patapplepatapple Member Posts: 873
    WOW!! AWESOME WORK GS TEAM!!! :)
  • JustMe74JustMe74 Member, PRO Posts: 542
    So this just allows Windows users to publish to the GS arcade and to Android? What about publishing Windows versions of the games -- will it do that?
  • kolabokolabo Member Posts: 240
    Great news!!!

Even though I'm a Mac myself, I have 20 years teaching experience, and love what this means for the high school classroom!

Might this mean, you will continue to develop the html publishing a little more?
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Let's make this clear - EVEN if GS team offer to publish iOS games for Windows users, you will still NEED a Mac computer, to send the finished game - using Application Loader from Xcode. And it would be stupid to let anyone do this for you, because you have to give your Apple Dev password to someone else, to let him send your game. This also breaks Apple ToS, and you can get your account banned and removed.
    @JustMe74 - publishing to iOS currently requires you to pass off the project from Windows to Mac and publish from there.
    You misunderstood my question.
    I understand how the current version of GS works, and that you need a Mac to publish to iOS.

My question was, with the Windows version of GS, will we be able to create Windows native games, or is this just for Windows users to publish Android and GS Arcade apps?

• patapplepatapple Member Posts: 873
    when windows 8 store will come out. this will be a huge opportunity for all the gamesalad developers!!
    @SaladStraightShooter -
    That's unfortunate. However, still a good move by GS to expand its user base.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Wow, I didn't see this coming at all! Great move, GameSalad!
  • BarrytheBraveBarrytheBrave Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2012
    This is amazing, I totally didn't see it coming! Surely this is going to bring in an absolute ton in revenue from new Pro users. Hey, can I buy stock in Gamesalad? ;)

PS, we're gonna need a bigger forum!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited May 2012
    Wow I feel like a jilted lover... I did the courting and someone else got the ring... Ouch!

At least I won the shuffleboard tournement! Now back to the retirement home to play pinochle before I get a million requests from kids to publish their games!
    You know what would make this week even better? The new update. ;)
  • sarya156sarya156 Member Posts: 1
    We will however still have to have a mac in order to upload the .app, amicorrect?
  • danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236
    I've waited for this day for two years... Thank you so much GS team!
  • BarrytheBraveBarrytheBrave Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2012
    For anyone interested, this site has uploaded screenshots of the Windows Creator:

I'm nothing to do with the website, I just Googled to see how the new UI looks, hope that's okay with forum rules etc.

http://www.g4tv.com/images/4626/gamesalad-for-windows/77326/
    Offering publishing service with GS was prohibited before, and it's prohibited now. Do it and you will be likely banned from the forums.
    edited May 2012
    @saladstraightshooter
    Yes, But that being said look at the cost of your regular "windows" machine and look at the cost of your regular "mac" the one thing that barricaded "kids" away from flooding these forums with "Will you publish my game to iOS for school project" and "Can I publish your template and art and make money from it?" was the price of these machines... Because the regular "child" can't afford a $1000 dollar machine.. I think thats what FBS is trying to say...
    And yes per se to the forum rules.. They still stand but however..
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    @LeonardDeveloper - Not meaning to sound arrogant, but aren't you a kid?

Ace
    I must say, the windows creator looks nicer IMO :)
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Bring on the Mac updates, i traded all my windows machines for mac machines when i discovered GameSalad, I will never revert back to the dark side of Windows*

*Except for my 9-5 monday to Friday job ;)
    edited May 2012
    Never mind - comment withdrawn.
    edited May 2012
    @saladstraightshooter
    Yes, But that being said look at the cost of your regular "windows" machine and look at the cost of your regular "mac" the one thing that barricaded "kids" away from flooding these forums with "Will you publish my game to iOS for school project" and "Can I publish your template and art and make money from it?" was the price of these machines... Because the regular "child" can't afford a $1000 dollar machine.. I think thats what FBS is trying to say...
    And yes per se to the forum rules.. They still stand but however..
    Totally agree - I'm telling this all the time, about Windows Creator!

@all, maybe he is a kid, but he is right - you will see things, liked he, and FBS mentioned in the next few weeks.
    @saladstraightshooter
    Right, Yes it doesn't denote the quality of the developer, The price of the tool never denotes the developer, But is the people the tool attracts, Windows is cheap (So is mac bought second-hand as stated) AS long as the forum rules stand, I suppose its alright..
    edited May 2012
    @All - GameSalad will monitor the forums. Keep in mind if kids come to the forum and are disruptive, GameSalad will remove them - end of story.

Also, the Window's crowd shouldn't be any different from how you view Mac users. It's our job to help in anyway we can, just like we do now the forums. Chances are that some will be passionate about creating games and could very well, someday, be knowledgeable about GameSalad - even more so than us.

Just my two cents.
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    Well said, @Braydon_SFX :)

We look forward to welcoming more talented and passionate developers into our community. And we will continue to foster a spirit of learning and helpfulness that makes the GameSalad forums great now.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    edited May 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter In the website shared by Ooi do I see Actors and Actors attributes editing capabilities while working on the scene? Or are my eyes playing strange tricks?

• theCodeMonsterstheCodeMonsters Member Posts: 359
    edited May 2012
    YES! This means that GSBot doesn't need a Disclaimer pushing away Windows users! And I'm not sure about these Windows users. Some of them may be trollin'. As where us Mac users are Cultured. And I'm not saying ALL win users are that way, just some of them.