Release 0.11.0.13 Stable Mac is now available

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited May 2014 in GameSalad Kitchen

It's been a long time coming, but version 0.11.0.13 for Mac is now live and ready for your use! Windows is coming soon... We've done our best to make this build stable. Be sure to let us know if you run into any more issues and we'll address them as soon as possible.

Here's the release notes:

New Pro-only Features:

• Use network behaviors to send and receive data with almost any kind of server. Build asynchronous turn-based games or client-server apps, store data remotely, or sync with your own data server. It's all possible with new network behaviors.
  • Two new cross-platform ad networks (Chartboost and RevMob) mean more ad inventory, more control, more profitable games.
  • Extend your branding and design by replacing your device's native application loading wheel with a custom image sequence of your choice. For Android, if no custom loading wheel is selected, it will now use the device's native loading wheel.

Features:

• Our largest update ever! Over 240 bug fixes and improvements, optimizations and refactors. All of which means a more stable development experience, fewer app crashes, and more tools to help you make great games!
  • Display text relative to an actor or a scene with new text display parameters, and enjoy new substring, replace, repeat, and find functions that allow for complex string manipulation.
  • New Looping and Loop Over Table behaviors can dramatically reduce the complexity of your projects and increase performance! What used to take dozens of behaviors can now be done with one or two.
  • New multi-touch attributes - no longer in the dark as to which touch is being used, you can now identify which of the up to 11 simultaneous touch events is currently active!
  • New table related functions will help make table usage even more powerful. You can add several values in a column together or search rows or columns for a particular value with lightning speed in not only development but at run time too.
  • Web Preview is now available for all projects, and works more like Creator Preview.
  • Web Preview now allows you to jump to a scene, similar to how Creator Preview works.
  • URLs for the OpenURL behavior can now be constructed using the expression editor.
  • Stretch option now available for games.
  • New Buzz behavior allows users to utilize iPhone vibration.
  • Android and iOS viewers now display the current version number on the screen.
  • You now have the ability to compare expressions within rules.
  • You now have two new expressions - round and roundTo in the expression editor. Round will round to the nearest whole number. RoundTo will round to the nearest value in decimal places.
  • Change Scene Behavior can now select a scene by index, instead of by name only.
  • Support for Google Play apps for Tablet by allowing users to set minimum SDK level.

Fixes:

• Over 240 bug fixes and improvements, including the following major fixes.
  • Fixed issues with Apple rejecting apps with In-App Purchases.
  • Added support for Android 4.3 and 4.4.
  • Fixed attributes resetting to 0 when editing numbers greater than 1000. Disallowed comma entry for numeric actor and scene attributes.
  • Fixed Image library issue with removing images after a Replace.
  • Fixed Creator Preview crash with large number of particles.
  • Fixed images not updating properly in Creator after being replaced.
  • Fixed text alignment issues when text is changed.
  • Fixed "Change Image" drop down not updating after new images were imported into project.
  • Fixed Display Text showing up as black boxes on older Android devices.
  • Fixed an issue where apps would crash if the GameSalad Network bar didn't load correctly.
  • Fixed Usernames with spaces causing a "Bad URL" error when attempting to sign an app.
  • Actor visible attribute can now be set during gameplay.
  • Android now sets the screen size for the device. This should now work like iOS.
  • Fixed punctuation in game project filenames causing errors and potentially crashes.
  • Fixed text wrapping where it shouldn't be on Android.
  • Fixed several actor instance/prototype sync issues with the Scene Editor.
  • Fixed color picker crashing or becoming unresponsive.
  • Fixed Android apps hanging when trying to play unsupported audio formats.
  • Fixed URL misdirection when iOS apps fail to sign. Now points to the correct Cookbook page.
  • Fixed timing issues with Interpolate and Animation behaviors.

Notes:

• Due to changes in the image loading code we now only support a subset of image creation tools and png optimizers. We have done compatibility testing with many of the popular image creation application. Here are the ones we know that work with our new loading code: Fireworks, Photoshop, Inkscape, Gimp, Illustrator (however, we do not support Photoshop exported 8 bit PNGs). We have unofficial support for Blurizer or Posterizer (using pngnq). We do not support pngquant. Anything that is not on this list is not tested or does not work. These applications are what we are going to support in 0.11.0 for image creation. We do not support other PNG optimizers.
  • Viewers do not currently have the Stretch view; this will be coming in a later update.
  • Free users must select "yes" to using the Advertising Identifier (IDFA) when uploading their app through iTunes Connect, as well as check the first two Advertising Identifier options. Pro Users will only need to check this option based on whether or not they are using ads in their app.

Comments

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited May 2014

I'm trying to publish for Ipad and getting:

There is something wrong with our servers. Contact us and reference publish request [f3b022bf-43b3-4a43-8977-54cf7a8b50fd].

The project is chock full of 8 bit png images. Just checking what happens now. Is this it?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Great news! Big congrats guys on getting this released!

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited May 2014

@vafurlogi said:
    I'm trying to publish for Ipad and getting:

There is something wrong with our servers. Contact us and reference publish request [f3b022bf-43b3-4a43-8977-54cf7a8b50fd].

The project is chock full of 8 bit png images. Just checking what happens now. Is this it?

We're getting a fix up for that. Turns out your project has soooo many images that our conversion script died. Fix should be up in minutes.

• jamies15-3jamies15-3 Member Posts: 94

Quick note, I'm getting white squares appear where I have hidden items, it doesn't seem to happen to all as I have the same actor used multiple times but only some have it, I will write a ticket but thought I would see if anyone else is getting the same?

• jamies15-3jamies15-3 Member Posts: 94

Awesome job btw GS team :D

• darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243

@CodeWizard Awesome news and well done to the whole team. This version compared to 10.4 is amazing.

Did you guys crack the accumulating memory usage problem even when using change scene?

• raze_struckraze_struck Member, PRO Posts: 141

Can I make a 300mb game, with 300 attributes and 500 actors? Will my game run ok, for IOS?

• raze_struckraze_struck Member, PRO Posts: 141

of course assuming I take advantage of tables and loops

• natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304

NICE!

@raze_struck said:
    Can I make a 300mb game, with 300 attributes and 500 actors? Will my game run ok, for IOS?

No, you're going to kill their conversion script... unless you're making your game after a few minutes, in which case, Yes. Yes you can... Unless you use 8 bit images. Then no.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067

@vafurlogi‌ we found the issue with publishing and fixed it. I even hit generate on your app for you, so you should come back to a fully generated app!

@adent42 said:
    vafurlogi‌ we found the issue with publishing and fixed it. I even hit generate on your app for you, so you should come back to a fully generated app!

Yes, it magically popped up. Thank you guys!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Fantastic! It's been a long time coming -- you guys have persevered through it. Thank you for all of your hard work!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Congrats to the team... that's a lot of work!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• JodyMitomaJodyMitoma Member Posts: 307

Wow, that's a lot of awesome stuff!! I cannot wait for a Windows update!!

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

The time we have all been waiting for has finally arrived! Thanks gamesalad :) \o/

• ChechesoftChechesoft Member, PRO Posts: 171

The transparency of most all my graphics are all messed up... (all of them made in Photoshop CS6)... Is there any way to fix this?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited May 2014

@Chechesoft said:
    The transparency of most all my graphics are all messed up... (all of them made in Photoshop CS6)... Is there any way to fix this?

make sure these are not 8bit images, they dropped support for them. see this thread maybe:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/67365/problems-with-png-images-use-these-methods-to-fix-your-pngs#latest

@Chechesoft said:

Have you tried the methods explained here?: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/67365/problems-with-png-images-use-these-methods-to-fix-your-pngs#latest

Method 1 did the trick for me.

• KnightStarKnightStar Member Posts: 162

OOooOOooo! Buzz Behavior..

Now every explosion and collision will have juicy vibrating love in our action games..

(And then there are the other games to think of...) :p

-- J

I published my game, loaded with 8 bit png files (the project that had soooo many images that it messed up the conversion script earlier) with this version. Before doing so I used method 1 from this thread (Use sips to re-encode PNG files).

The game works perfectly, all the images look right and no issues with transparency that I could find. Also... the published game (ipa file) went from 75 mb in the last RC version to 51.7 mb in this version and I could swear the loading times feel a bit quicker. Is there something yet to come that will make all this break or... I don't know. Something?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited May 2014

Congratulations !!!!! Well done to everyone involved !!!

And thanks !!!

• GunBrothersGamingGunBrothersGaming Member, PRO Posts: 6
    edited May 2014

Can you guys when you announce that something is available that you put for mac in the title? That way those of us using Windows can continue to not open these threads? It just gives us false hope that you guys actually want to help Windows users.

It's really frustrating to see tons of Mac releases and Windows continually get put on the back burner over and over again.

• 11XIndustries11XIndustries Member, PRO Posts: 28

I hope new videos will be coming out detailing on how to use the new functions.

• hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522

Thanks! The expressions on both sides of the rule looks very nice!

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@GunBrothersGaming I have added mac to the title. Also we are working on two windows release right now. Hope to have one out to you guys soon

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Does anyone know how I can create a native application loading wheel with a custom image sequence of my choice? Thank you

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

I have tried to upload a Gif animation to the publishing site. However it still requires a singular png file.

Also is are there any tutorials and or learning documents concerning the following Pro feature?

Use network behaviors to send and receive data with almost any kind of server. Build asynchronous turn-based games or client-server apps, store data remotely, or sync with your own data server. It's all possible with new network behaviors.

Thank you!