Release 0.11.0.13 Stable Mac is now available

Comments

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited May 2014

@BlackCloakGS To follow up on my last comment. If the game works with 8 bit png images now, am I safe or will it break in future updates, is that what the 8 bit image support drop is about?

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Great News.I have 2 question.

1- Now,I am middle in the game development ,what will I do change?

• All image must change 16bit png or 32bit png?Am I correct?What else?

2- Stretch function, Can I optimize 3-4 device size without strecth function and otherelse device,can I use strech function?
    How it works?

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Thanks for letting me know vafurlogi.

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

@robertkdale said:
    Thanks for letting me know vafurlogi.

I'm probably wrong. I just saw that they mention image sequence now so don't ever listen to any advice from me. I'm out.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

Congrats on the update... It's been a long time coming, and looks to have a lot of longstanding issues fixed.

However.... I've got to express concern and puzzlement at no longer supporting Photoshop 8 bit PNGs.... That really does seem like a big step backwards. It's only one of the most used image formats in mobile game development, and is one of the most optimised formats used to keep image memory usage low.... So it seems GameSalad has ditched support for one of the most widely used image formats, that previously worked fine.... For what exactly?

What's the gain that were getting in exchange? Surely not supporting photoshop 8 bit PNGs is now going to force larger memory footprints of apps?

Seems like quite a big step backwards to me.... Breaking something that previously worked fine.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Good job and Congrats to the team on the stable release and for plowing through and sticking to your goals despite the whining :-)

To those concerned about the now limited support for graphics formats, I am confident that these are just temporary growing pains of the new graphics engine, which we can live with as a tradeoff for the other benefits it brings. I am sure that this will be revisited again in future releases.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

Congrats to the team... Awesome work!

• iKlazzyiKlazzy Member, PRO Posts: 71

Is anyone else having trouble with the iOS viewer in Xcode? my build won't run

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited May 2014

iOS viewer does not support simulator (this will be fixed in a future update)

@robertkdale the custom loading wheel is a static 128x128 image that rotates.

See here about image formats and pngs

• LordTarantorLordTarantor Member, PRO Posts: 890

I was using the GSRC to create my app. I'am trying to open with the new build and it tells me that it can't open “com.gamesalad.gsrcproj” format. How can I change this?

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited May 2014

Read the links about the image format changes and I suggest posting issues on the thread if you have any, the threads go into detail to answer the questions why the changes have occurred.

Congrats GS team I am looking forward to working with this update. It may well be a major turning point for GS.

• ChechesoftChechesoft Member, PRO Posts: 171
    edited May 2014

The method is not working for me...
    making new png's in photoshop result in bad png transparencies...
    The images look right while thumbnails on the actor list and graphic library, even while dragging them to the scene. But once placed on the scene some sections that should be transparent appear white and with artefacts...

• TaoOfSaladTaoOfSalad Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 83
    edited May 2014

RE: Concerns about 8-bit PNG support. The problem isn't with all 8-bit PNGs, just those that use certain combinations of color depth, alpha transparency, and color space settings. So we can't claim to support them all. Most often, the broken cases come from some of the more clever PNG optimizing programs that seek to minimize size for network traffic on the web.

Here's what I suggest:

Case 1: You are unsure if your existing PNG images or your image authoring program are supported.

Do this: Test your game with the latest stable release of Creator preview and with an ad-hoc build after publishing. If you don't see any image issues, then no problems! If there are issues, check the following cases.

Case 2: Your images look wrong in Creator preview (usually missing transparency or washed out color saturation), but look correct in ad-hoc build after publishing.

Do this: Your source images aren't directly supported by the engine, but our publishing-side conversion will fix them. To fix your PNGs so that they look correct in Creator, try running them through a batch conversion program as described in this thread: Problems with PNG images....

Case 3: Your images look wrong in both Creator preview and ad-hoc build after publishing.

Do this: Try running them through a batch conversion program as described in this thread: Problems with PNG images.... If images are still displayed wrong after the conversion, then there's something about them that the engine can't read. Try a different image program to save your PNGs.

Case 4: Your images look correct in Creator preview, but wrong in ad-hoc build after publishing.

Do this: This might be a bug. It's worth a try to run them through the batch conversion methods above. If the issue persists, submit an example through help support and we will look into it.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

I have same issue with images looking bad in creator on the scene with white lines around them, but on device there perfect in ad-hoc.

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    edited May 2014

@LordTarantor said:
    I was using the GSRC to create my app. I'am trying to open with the new build and it tells me that it can't open “com.gamesalad.gsrcproj” format. How can I change this?

It's no longer an RC so change your project extension name to the one used on new stable build.

• Coconut GamesCoconut Games Member, PRO Posts: 5

I was using the GSRC to create my app. I'am trying to open with the new build and it tells me that it can't open “com.gamesalad.gsrcproj” format???

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited May 2014

@wild said:
    I was using the GSRC to create my app. I'am trying to open with the new build and it tells me that it can't open “com.gamesalad.gsrcproj” format???

Change format from *.gsrcproj to *.gameproj

Thanks SingleSparq!!!!
    Now, how do I do that???

@TaoOfSalad said:
    RE: Concerns about 8-bit PNG support. The problem isn't with all 8-bit PNGs, just those that use certain combinations of color depth, alpha transparency, and color space settings. Most often, these come from some of the more clever PNG optimizing programs that seek to minimize size for network traffic on the web...

I know my confusion comes from this statement: "...we do not support Photoshop exported 8 bit PNGs" and the fact that my game still looks and plays fine, even better than before. I would take it as meaning it just won't work. I'll stop complaining now. Good times!

Ok I found it!!!
    Go to your app,

right click it,

select Get info

and then change the extension to .gameproj

instead of .gsrcproj

• Coconut GamesCoconut Games Member, PRO Posts: 5

@imGua said:
    Change format from *.gsrcproj to *.gameproj

Thanks for your help :smile:

@vafurlogi said:
    I published my game, loaded with 8 bit png files (the project that had soooo many images that it messed up the conversion script earlier) with this version. Before doing so I used method 1 from this thread (Use sips to re-encode PNG files).

The game works perfectly, all the images look right and no issues with transparency that I could find. Also... the published game (ipa file) went from 75 mb in the last RC version to 51.7 mb in this version and I could swear the loading times feel a bit quicker. Is there something yet to come that will make all this break or... I don't know. Something?

For me, the size of a build is exact same as with RC 12.

• miharomiharo Member, PRO Posts: 41

Great stuff :) can't wait for pc update

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@imGua Size is changing based on number of images ,type of optimisation we used.so in my two projects one as reduced 2.5mb (24mb to 21.5mb ), and the other one is increased from 41mb to 198mb,now i am trying to convert using "sips" before publishing.

• RainbrosRainbros Member Posts: 124

So just to clarify, Revmob and Chartboost are now working as expected? No issues?

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@robertkdale said:
    Also is are there any tutorials and or learning documents concerning the following Pro feature?

Use network behaviors to send and receive data with almost any kind of server. Build asynchronous turn-based games or client-server apps, store data remotely, or sync with your own data server. It's all possible with new network behaviors.

Thank you!

@robertkdale‌ -- https://help.gamesalad.com/hc/en-us/articles/202099666

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

edited May 2014

@Trunks said:
    So just to clarify, Revmob and Chartboost are now working as expected? No issues?

Chartboost works for me. I had one serious problem with it. But I 'm sure, problem is not caused by GS.

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

@dgackey So one of my apps got stuck on Generating in the portal. Are you guys able to fix it on your side or is there something I can do to get it to allow me to click it once more?

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited May 2014
  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@FallacyStudios‌ I'd love to help but I'm not really equipped to troubleshoot that remotely. If @‌adent42 is around he probably can, or submit a ticket and we'll get to it first thing tomorrow.

Sorry about that, I'll have to find out what I need to know to resolve stuff like this for future reference.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com