Release 0.11.0.13 Stable Mac is now available

Comments

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

so from now in photoshop we have to choose this instead of 8 bit ?

@CodeWizard i used METHOD 1,2,3. for pngs , but after publishing and downloading back the size of the project changing to 23mb to 192mb

• filmcowfilmcow Member Posts: 5

@madhanlab said:

so from now in photoshop we have to choose this instead of 8 bit ?

No, you have to choose 8 bit. Which gives you a 24-bit (32 with alpha) PNG. The point in which you avoid "8 bit" is when exporting, as that will give you a total of 8 bits as opposed to an 8 bit per channel color mode.

It's a bit confusing.

@filmcow @CodeWizard i am confusing please explain or screenshots...

• TaoOfSaladTaoOfSalad Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 83

There's two confusing measures. Bits per sample and bits per channel.

Bits per sample means total bits per pixel. This should be 32. Maybe 24. It's usually a choice between PNG-8, PNG-24, and PNG-32. Always choose the highest of these.

Bits per channel means bits per color channel, with usually 3 or 4 channels in the total sample or pixel. RGB has 3x8=24, RGBA has 4x8=32. Bits per channel is usually a choice between 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. Always choose 8. That means a range of 0-255 for each color channel.

@TaoOfSalad i am sorry to asking again and again please show me where to change in photoshop(settings) while exporting

@TaoOfSalad @CodeWizard All of my projects and increasing in size 3 times...please help
    i tried all the 3 METHODS for pngs...(13Mb with 10.4 same project published with latest 0.11 is 32Mb)

@madhanlab said:
    filmcow CodeWizard i am confusing please explain or screenshots...

When making a new image choose 8 bit for the color mode. For images that you've already created, go to Image: Mode and make sure 8 Bits/Channel is selected. When saving that image to PNG use Save As instead of Save for Web, and Photoshop will automatically save it as the correct 24 or 32 bit image.

@filmcow Thanks :)

Do you have any idea why projects are increasing size 3 time .(13Mb with 10.4 same project published with latest 0.11 is 32Mb)

• algrasheealgrashee Member Posts: 5

Great job guys,
    and,
    what about the game attributes, can you let us rearrange the attributes by drag and drop them and can we put them in groups in the game attribute section.

edited May 2014

@madhanlab said:
    filmcow Thanks :)

Do you have any idea why projects are increasing size 3 time .(13Mb with 10.4 same project published with latest 0.11 is 32Mb)

From what I understand, when you publish a game now all of your images are being converted to a GameSalad-specific format. This format is apparently optimized for loading time but not for file size. If your images were previously saved with compression (as Photoshop's Save for Web does) then that compression is being lost during the conversion process.

@filmcow Thanks...

• BuckcartBuckcart Member, PRO Posts: 5

How do you publish in Stretch Mode????? Thanks!

• natedawgghnatedawggh Member, PRO Posts: 34

0.11.0.13 won't let me open any of the files I created with the last Release Candidate. What to do?

• mc99093mc99093 Member, PRO Posts: 133

natedawggh

@LordTarantor said:
    Ok I found it!!!
    Go to your app,

right click it,

select Get info

and then change the extension to .gameproj

instead of .gsrcproj

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited May 2014

Nice work guys! Several things/potential bugs I'm noticing:

1. I have a "transition" animation I created that covers the whole scene, but it doesn't seem to be working when I open up certain scenes anymore

2. The camera position changes I originally had in place don't seem to be functioning properly

3. I can't seem to remove an attribute from a rule with the minus button

4. My "rotate 0 to 360" and "-360 to 0" interpolate behaviors no longer work

• EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451

@CodeWizard now that we finally have a stable build is there any chance you could update the road map to let us know what's on the cards for the next few months :smile:

• JodyMitomaJodyMitoma Member Posts: 307

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    What you need to realize is there are thousands of GS users and each one of them is always going to be in the middle of a game that takes months to build. In that line of logic there is never a good time for updates and changes, right? As is in the thread about images they show you how to batch convert your art. All one has to do is use the programs advised and right click on the GS file and select show contents. Grab the art folder and batch convert the images problem solved.

Thank you for being reasonable in your answer. I do recall I was a bit of a dick in that post, and I apologize. Thank you for your insight on the matter - you are totally right, there is never a good time, and heck, it's an easy fix anyway!

edited May 2014

@filmcow said:
    As in, 16 bits/channel PNGs (48 bit) need to be converted to 8 bits/channel PNGs (24 bit).

O.O Shyt just got confusing, folks!

@filmcow said:
    When making a new image choose 8 bit for the color mode. For images that you've already created, go to Image: Mode and make sure 8 Bits/Channel is selected. When saving that image to PNG use Save As instead of Save for Web, and Photoshop will automatically save it as the correct 24 or 32 bit image.

Oh wow! This is excellent news! I've be doing exactly this for as long as I have been using Photoshop - nearly 8 years. Thanks for the in-depth explanation! Very good news.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited May 2014

@JodyMitoma said:
    Thank you for being reasonable in your answer. I do recall I was a bit of a dick in that post, and I apologize. Thank you for your insight on the matter - you are totally right, there is never a good time, and heck, it's an easy fix anyway!

As a long time gamesalad user I can tell you these types of issues used to be wayyyyyy worse! @codewizard has done a remarkable job getting this software fixed and on a track to be stable. There were times years ago when you needed work arounds for the work arounds..lol

But inspite of all that we veterans made games and many very good games at that. We put our minds together collectively on how to build the work arounds. In those days the GS staff were nonexisitant on the forums and offered little to no help. We didn't bitch and pout, instead we became more determined to figure out things ourselves. The resources were very minimal. Little to no documentation, only a handful of videos et... We were the ones who developed the wealth of resources you now enjoy. This process took long hours and lots of trial and error. But the benefit was we learned this software inside and out because we couldn't just copy a tutorial or template. We had to figure it out ourselves and the benefit was most of us becoming power users of GS.

These are the people you see today answering the difficult questions and providing the ground breaking solutions. You don't see these people asking for help as they learned that they can figure it out and are willing to put in the effort and research to do it. To me these people are the heart and soul of Gamesalad developers and this software and community wouldn't be what it is today without their unwavering dedication and long hours of hard work over years. All of you owe a credit to these people and you should show them always the respect they earned. Yet I see few who take a moment to thank these people and honor them for what they have given to you.

P.S. We need a veteran developer badge to honor these folks and as a constant reminder of who they are and what they have done for this community over years of service. The only thing they ever asked for in return was a thank you and a like or awesome.

edited May 2014

Outstanding words. I had no idea this is how it went down back in the day, as I am only a two-weeker, but I do wish I came around much, much sooner. I love being a part of a growing community, and especially one that I am particularly most interested in. GameSalad is an incredible engine, and I'm at a loss for words as to how grateful I am for being able to go this route to create games from scratch. I was in the midst of learning Java programming (even bought a couple books), just one month before deciding to give GameSalad a shot, and let me tell ya - it has, and will save me thousands, and thousands of headaches.

I appreciate everything you - and other vets have done for us in making this engine what it is today. This program is absolutely remarkable, and I see myself using it for years and years to come.

Cheers to you, and everyone on these forums, for being such helpful people. Know that, at least I, appreciate the time you take out of your own personal day, to help out a stranger. As a returned favor, I try to help out those that are even newer than me, whenever I can.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@CodeWizard said:
    That's right. PNGs with 8 bit palettes are an issue... as are PNGs with 16-bits per channel. For best support, choose 8-bit/channel PNGs. A total of 32-bits per pixel.

I think you mean a total of 32-bits rather than a total of 32-bits per channel !

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Stretch option....Guess I cant complain anymore....works just perfectly. You can see the atretch but its not bad enough to not use. My biggest "complaint". You either intensionally or didnt even notice third party apps such as GS File merger no longer are able to be used. DBA is third party to GS....GS is third party to apple. No one even thinks or says anything about these things are not going to work. It coukd have given people the option of know why NOT to install this release.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited May 2014

The more I use 0.11 the more stable it feels, pretty damn robust, I'm loving it.
    Besides all the listed improvements, bug fixes and features there appears to have been a general knock-on effect for lots of other little glitches (but not quite bugs).

For example, I have a long standing project where an actor is moving 20 pixels to the left and 14 pixels down - this movement is iterated over and over again within an 'every' timer - with previous versions of GS this actor ended up drifting off position by a single pixel after a few iterations (which with the particular project was enough to cause problems) . . . . . the solution to add 0.1 to its start x and y position (so for example Y64.1 - X80.1 rather than Y64 - X80), this seemed to solve it, I don't know why, it was suggested by @POM I think, but for whatever reason it worked.

This glitch has been in every version of GS since I started that particular project (a couple of years maybe), but today I tried it with the actor on Y64 - X80 and it worked just fine, no drift !

There are a couple of other very small 'quirks' that seemed to have disappeared, for example when spawning lots of stuff (hundreds of actors) I often found the first actor that was spawned was a little glitchy, it wouldn't carry out its rules, this also seems to have gone !

Basically all the back end work seems to have tidied stuff up beyond and above all the listed 'headline' features and fixes.

:) many many thanks to everyone at GS !!!

Here's a little worm that used to break in previous versions, its body segments at the head of the worm would flicker or on occasion not move, the rest of the worm would move, just the first segment spawned would stay at its start point.

(ignore the crappy screen capture software, in 0.11 it's super smooth !)

Same deal with this logo, the top where the leaves start and end would exhibit a similar glitch . . . just looked through a few projects so far, but like I say there appears to be many knock on improvements besides the listed fixes and features.

• zzzz02zzzz02 Member, PRO Posts: 20

I'm getting popups every other minute. Gamesalad stopped opening up my actors entirely, and won't let me preview app.

• DaveinpublicDaveinpublic Member Posts: 37

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    We didn't bitch and pout, instead we became more determined...

I don't remember that exactly the same way, but at least we made it through together. :) I'll avoid posting any links.

• raze_struckraze_struck Member, PRO Posts: 141

It terms of memory usage how far can I push with the new release, my game forces the player to backtrack and change scenes often, can I force gs to dump memory. I'm not sure how to optimize gs with a game that has lots of scene changes in it

• raze_struckraze_struck Member, PRO Posts: 141

In other words does the memory build up problem still exist in gs ?